Derek Bailey has died

EKE BBB

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's very sad news, though not unexpected -- a friend of Derek's had told me how ill he was.

I saw him once, in Cambridge at a poetry festival (invited by his friend the poet Peter Riley). He played solo acoustic, with a TV set onstage. Halfway through he explained that he had recently done a TV feature & for some reason they had filmed his left hand & right hand separately--there were no shots of him from a distance. So he played, as a kind of intermission, the tape of the performance, which simple showed one hand or the other but never the two at once. -- There was a pamphlet of poems that accompanied the conference; Bailey & Simon Fell were also asked for contributions; Derek's was a page of what looked like an impenetrable biology/chemistry paper; I believe it was a page from an article pubished by his son.

Never saw him again thought I would very much have liked to; did correspond with him a bit when I did a book of essays on Peter Riley, though he didn't end up contributing something (but very kindly sent me Takes Fakes & Dead She Dances, which contains a track with Derek reading chunks of gravesite excavation records out of Peter's book Excavations).

In terms of checking out Bailey, I've always found his solo work the best entry-point: Drop Me Off at 96th & Lace are favourites; the former includes an unexpected stretch of 1930s-style rhythm guitar at one point & a snatch of "I Didn't Know What Time It Was". The album with Metheny should be avoided as a first point of entry, I'd think, unless you're a big fan of brutal noise onslaught.

Holy shit! I had no idea he was ill. What an unexpected and awful thing to have happened.

Derek%20Bailey.jpg

Not to sound insensitive but I wonder what'll become of Incus.

Rest in peace, dear Derek.

Edited by Chaney

In terms of checking out Bailey, I've always found his solo work the best entry-point: Drop Me Off at 96th & Lace are favourites; the former includes an unexpected stretch of 1930s-style rhythm guitar at one point & a snatch of "I Didn't Know What Time It Was". The album with Metheny should be avoided as a first point of entry, I'd think, unless you're a big fan of brutal noise onslaught.

You're right about the Metheny album and the solo work too.

hopefully, after Bach Fest, WKCR will do a Derek memorial & hopefully this thread won't get TOO solemn. for all the brilliant rigor of Derek's inventions, he was a very funny raconteur, the music always playful.

They have to! 24 hours should be about right, it would be cool if they did more.

What a trailblazer. Courage is right... courage, gusto, and joy. Seldom have I heard a musician--a guitarist--so insouciantly brave, uncompromising. As one in a long tradition of improvising axmen, forver chafing at the laws of principle, I'll always cherish those jagged, acidic lines. Here's to a liberator, one of the greats... the proverbial twanger just lost one more string.

Edit to second recommendations on the "Improvisation" book--looks like a good time to break it out. Truth is marching in, baby.

Edited by ep1str0phy

Another recommendation for the 'Improvisation' book. It should probably be pointed out that it's extremely readable - easily recommended to someone who doesn't like Bailey's own playing, for instance.

Everyone speaks so highly of Derek who's played with him. Apparently a top bloke, as well as musician.

And an inspiration. He's scaled down his playing a lot in recent years, but I know there was still quite a number of us young guys holding out for the opportunity to play with him (he would frequently have people over to jam).

I love 'Ballads', too (thoroughly non-idiomatic? REALLY? Listen e.g. to 'Body and Soul'!).

I've recently also been enjoying 'Pieces for Guitar', and his playing on some of those early Brotzmann FMPs - e.g. 'Fuck De Boere'.

it's ineresting to contrast his book on improv with Berlins' book about same - while Berlin's was full of academic double talk and re-statements of the obvious, Bailey's was quite illuminating, spiritual and practical at the same time - indispensible, even for non-musicians -

Edited by AllenLowe