New reissues series

brownie

I would have gone the "Verve Vault" route, where the digital clone of the Japanese cd is available:

http://www.vervemusicgroup.com/product.asp...c=srs&pid=11268

Some nice new additions to the Vault!

The Jazztet and John Lewis...

Jazztet and John Lewis

Jazz Abroad

Roy Haynes and Quincy Jones

Dream of You

Helen Merrill

Selected Favorites

Harmonicats

Terry Gibbs

Terry Gibbs

On The Chicago Scene

Max Roach

Inter-Action

Sonny Stitt & Zoot Sims

Gettin' Down To It

James Brown

Verve Records

Several of those Membran reissues were available at one of the FNAC store this week. They were priced at something like €6 (around $7).

Got one of the Herb Geller 'The Gellers', an old favorite. The source for this release has got to be the excellent and legitimate vinyl reissue that came out in 1985 as part of the Mercury Jazz VSOP series in Japan.

Indicated length for most tracks is inaccurate. Also, if you program the final track (Suppertime), this starts near the end of the next to last one (Bewitched). Odd!

The sound is very good.

Lorraine Geller shines throughout the session. What a loss!

I picked up the DeFranco with Peterson for $9.00 (incl. postage) through an eBay auction .. the remastering is very good, considering that this album was recorded in 1954, and the entire package, in a digipack with good notes (in three languages!) was very well put together. I would like to get a few more of these .. Does anyone know of a site here in the U.S. that sells these?

If you live in Germany, there's a shop run by physically and mentally challenged people in Hamburg ( http://www.cd-lp-dvd.de/ ) that sells these for 7 Euro each. No postage if your order is above 30 Euro. They are not a full-scale online shop, but I've tried to support them in the past.

Link to the series: Membran Series

I have no idea if they sell outside of Germany, but I don't think so ... or it might be a lot more expensive.

Firmly tongue in cheek, the organization behind this shop calls itself "Wackelpeter" ("Jello") in reference to some of the shakes, wobbly movement etc. that the employees or office workers have to live with. They are a great bunch of people and I try to drop by the shop whenever I'm in Hamburg. For many working there it was the only place to find a job and they try their damn best to help their customers.

P.S.: Because they simply can't compete with any of the bigger chains, they only have some of the budget series and sometimes a really odd assortment of products. As far as I can recall, they only have the Membran/Documents/TIM cheapo series ... but they also sell them cheap.

wackel2.jpg

Edited by neveronfriday

I have no idea if they sell outside of Germany, but I don't think so ... or it might be a lot more expensive.

I have seen them in several Paris stores. Some stores have them available for around €7. I have also seen them on sale for around €10!

I meant the shop described above.

This Membran series is all over the place by now.

If you live in Germany, there's a shop run by physically and mentally challenged people in Hamburg ( http://www.cd-lp-dvd.de/ ) that sells these for 7 Euro each. No postage if your order is above 30 Euro. They are not a full-scale online shop, but I've tried to support them in the past.

Link to the series: Membran Series

Firmly tongue in cheek, the organization behind this shop calls itself "Wackelpeter" ("Jello") in reference to some of the shakes, wobbly movement etc. that the employees or office workers have to live with. They are a great bunch of people and I try to drop by the shop whenever I'm in Hamburg. For many working there it was the only place to find a job and they try their damn best to help their customers.

P.S.: Because they simply can't compete with any of the bigger chains, they only have some of the budget series and sometimes a really odd assortment of products. As far as I can recall, they only have the Membran/Documents/TIM cheapo series ... but they also sell them cheap.

wackel2.jpg

Hey, that's great! :tup

• 9 months later...

Membran has released this 20CD box:

224084_front.jpg224084_back.jpg

The box has a 'comprehensive selection of piano jazz' (380 tracks plus a 120-page booklet) also with 'previously unreleased recordings by Monty Alexander, Kenny Barron, Horace Silver, Les McCann and Chick Corea'.

Price seems right, as usual for Membran sets.

Edited by brownie

• 2 months later...

I was browsing through the Jan/Feb Zweitausendeins catalog this evening, and noticed something very interesting (to me anyway).

Membran is apparently now selling MP3 CD's of material that is public domain in Europe. There are a number of jazz and classical MP3 CDs they are selling for €9.99. One is a 1951-1956 Miles Davis disc, with 90 tracks on it. The Nat King Cole CD (1939-1953) has 203 tracks. They advertise that the individual discs are crammed with up to 11 hours of music. Is this a test to see if the market is there for selling MP3 CDs, or is this more common that I realize? I'm not interested in these personally, just find it interesting that they are now being marketed and sold this way.

A quick visit to Membran's site shows the packaging on these, as well.

231017_front.jpg

231017_back.jpg

Edited by Aggie87

Commerciallly sold data CDs with MP3 files have existed before, Zweitausendeins has offered MP3 pop and classical samplers as well as audio-books for the last 2 or 3 years:

http://www.zweitausendeins.de/stoebern/?key=MP3

This is not a bad idea, since most DVD players and some CD players now play MP3s, and people can copy the files directly to their portable players, without conversion.

Especially for audio books, where sound quality matters less, this saves a lot of space. They have the complete Bible on 8 MP3-CDs (90 hours, i.e. the content of 70 audio CDs)

Edited by Claude

It looks like they are taking their 10 CD box sets and turning them into mp3 CDs. I don't know how the Cole box stacks up against the Mosaic box, though probably fairly closely. We've talked about the Piazzola Membran box before, and that it seems like a pretty good product, mostly live performances from the 1970s and 1980s.

• 2 weeks later...