I need more John Hicks (recommendations)...

Rooster_Ties

8 hours ago, ejp626 said:

Managed to snag a reasonable copy off of Amazon (the copies on Discogs were considerably more expensive), but it will be a while before it turns up.  Maybe I'll listen to Hi Voltage in the meantime...

Found a near mint vinyl of the ‘Inc 1’ on DIW a year or so back, well worth getting. Will try to give it a spin today.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been a long time since this thread was started (gotta love how much product B&N used to actually carry!), but Pure Pleasure reissued his Strata East records Hells Bells and the solo Steadfast. I really dig Hells Bells but those PP LPs carry a premium price tag so I haven't picked it up yet. Wondering if there's really much of a difference between that LP and the Charly CD since that LP is likely not AAA. Or hells bells, maybe I'll just keep streaming it. 

Dub - Hells Bells is such a great record that I plopped for the Pure Pleasure reissue.  It's not a super-great sounding LP (strictly from an audio quality point of view), IMO -- but it ain't bad either.  Somewhere in between.  So I would not recommend buying it if you're in the game for an "audiophile experience"; HOWEVER, I would definitely recommend buying it for the music.  Even at the expensive PP price.  (OTOH, if you already have the Charly CD, it's probably not necessary.)

Steadfast isn't quite on the same level, IMO. It's good stuff, but not as good as Hells Bells

My 2 cents.

Edited by HutchFan

2 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Dub - Hells Bells is such a great record that I plopped for the Pure Pleasure reissue.  It's not a super-great sounding LP (strictly from an audio quality point of view), IMO -- but it ain't bad either.  Somewhere in between.  So I would not recommend buying it if you're in the game for an "audiophile experience"; HOWEVER, I would definitely recommend buying it for the music.  Even at the expensive PP price.  (OTOH, if you already have the Charly CD, it's probably not necessary.)

Steadfast isn't quite on the same level, IMO. It's good stuff, but not as good as Hells Bells

My 2 cents.

Yeah, it's really difficult for me to budget for LPs at $35+ if it's basically the same as a cheaper CD alternative. I love what PP is doing and have a few of those Strata East records but was able to pick them up cheaper than retail. I'm not into LPs for strictly audiophile reasons (as I don't consider myself one), and I would pick this up for around $25 no problem. So here I am, a cheapskate waiting for a sale. 

I listened to Steadfast and felt the same as you did. If I were to get one of these, it would be Hells Bells. 

2 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Yeah, it's really difficult for me to budget for LPs at $35+ if it's basically the same as a cheaper CD alternative. I love what PP is doing and have a few of those Strata East records but was able to pick them up cheaper than retail. I'm not into LPs for strictly audiophile reasons (as I don't consider myself one), and I would pick this up for around $25 no problem. So here I am, a cheapskate waiting for a sale. 

I listened to Steadfast and felt the same as you did. If I were to get one of these, it would be Hells Bells. 

Yeah, I hear you.

Before buying the PP vinyl, I only had Hells Bells as an MP3 download.  So it was easier for me to justify the cost of the LP.  ;) 

I think the only other PP reissue I've purchased is Harold Vick's Don't Look Back -- since it wasn't available in any other format.

7 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

It’s the second side, really.

Joe Chambers’ “Hopscotch” (side 1, track 2) is a total blast, imho. Even if it is a bit of a “Freedom Jazz Dance” knockoff — but the execution is fantastic! It always makes me want to get up and dance actually, maybe even more than any version of “Freedom Jazz Dance”, come to think of it.

Here’s a nice guitar+drums cover of it to, which also floats my boat similarly.

One more, for the heck of it, also excellent.

What the hell, one more (same flute guy, but this time with piano)...

Edited by Rooster_Ties

"hopscotch" is the only one that really clicks for me as well. although, it's not a bad record overall. And at the time, it was like, ok, Charlie Rouse, not with Monk now, what's he got for us? Oh, Strata-East! Interesting...

Not a "great record", but it's got it's own relevancy. But an inflated price...yeah, I got mine in a used bin for a couple of bucks and feel like it was priced about right.

And then there's Cinnamon Flower on Casablanca...still not sure what that one was supposed to be...

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

"hopscotch" is the only one that really clicks for me as well. although, it's not a bad record overall.

Also, Rouse’s playing on the title track (side 2, first cut) is like primordial Steve Coleman to my ears, and tasty as hell!

A bit of that same vibe comes through about halfway thru the last cut on side two too (in the fast shuffle(?) section, when the tune finally gets going, after an admittedly boring opening section that goes on much too long). All that faster section’s great (and ALL of the title track), especially Rouse’s skittering playing — which, frankly based on what I’ve heard of him with Monk — was a TOTAL revelation. Hell, I still can’t believe Charlie Rouse(?!) can play like he does on the title track, à la Steve Coleman. :blink: :blink: :excited:

The opener (Bitchin’) of side 1 ain’t too shabby (overall) — and I especially like the super-tart timbre of the guitar (tart as persimmon!) — and the sound out of that (electric?) cello could cut glass!!

It’s not a fantastic ‘cohesive’ album — but a lot of it really hits me well, and always has (for 20+ years).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

14 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Also, Rouse’s playing on the title track (side 2, first cut) is like primordial Steve Coleman to my ears, and tasty as hell!

A bit of that same vibe comes through about halfway thru the last cut on side two too (in the fast shuffle(?) section, when the tune finally gets going, after an admittedly boring opening section that goes on much too long). All that faster section great (and ALL of the title track), especially Rouse’s skittering playing — which, frankly based on what I’ve heard of him with Monk — was a TOTAL revelation. Hell, I still can’t believe Charlie Rouse(?!) can play like he does on the title track, à la Steve Coleman. :blink: :blink: :excited:

The opener (Bitchin’) of side 1 ain’t too shabby (overall) — and I especially like the super-tart timbre of the guitar (tart as persimmon!) — and the sound out of that (electric?) cello could cut glass!!

It’s not a fantastic ‘cohesive’ album — but a lot of it really hits me well, and always has (for 20+ years).

Yep. This sums up my views exactly.

3 hours ago, david weiss said:

Not an album but I've been listening to this Live Art Blakey thing a lot lately...

It's off the hook for me....

With John Gilmore in not only a suit and tie, but button-down collared shirt too!

I’d seen this 30+ minute video of Blakey numerous times (below) — also with Gilmore (Lee, Hick’s, and Spoles) on the BBC in ‘65 — but I had no idea there was another hour of that band on video/film in Paris that same year (above).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

59 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

With John Gilmore I’m not only a suit and tie, but button-down collared shirt too!

I’d seen this 30+ minute video of Blakey numerous times (below) — also with Gilmore (Lee, Hick’s, and Spoles) on the BBC in ‘65 — but I had no idea there was another hour of that band on video/film in Paris that same year (above).

For whatever reason, timing, mood or what have you, I'm finding this Paris concert to be much stronger. "The Egyptian" is earth shattering. There is also some footage from an Italian date from the same tour floating around as well.....

Edited by david weiss