I need more John Hicks (recommendations)...

Rooster_Ties

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have some recordings of Hicks as a sideman. The only CD I have with him as a leader is Inc.1 / DIW - a trio date with Walter Booker and Idris Muhammad. :tup

Here are some of his sidemen appearences which are not mentioned before:

• The bassist (Richard Davis) - great duo recording
  • Against all odds (Curtis Lundy)
  • Taru (Lee Morgan)
  • 52nd Street themes (Joe Lovano)
  • On this day (Joe Lovano)

• 2 years later...
Guest donald petersen

oh yeah he's on the pretty good morning song w. blackwell but i think it's reggie workman on the bass and again i want to talk about you is decent but that's with petersen and drummond. tallking david murray albums here...

• 8 years later...
On 25 March 2003 at 9:06 PM, LarryCurleyMoe said:

John Hicks is the pianist on Mobley's "Hi Voltage" session. I've only listened to a couple of times - a while ago (I know- I should be ashamed - will work to fix this when I get TIME). I think there are a couple of tasty solos and some good session work.

A very fine early appearance indeed !

• 4 months later...
  • 4 years later...

I'm only just discovering how much I love John Hicks. 

I recently listened to Charles Tolliver's Live at Loosdrecht and Hank Mobley's Hi Voltage back to back and made the connection between the pianist who, for me, made both records.

His soloing on the former is unbelievable, but it's his accompanying work that really really stands out - he just seems to open up the playing field for the soloists and let them do whatever they could have wanted.

It's funny, because I had never heard of him, despite having listened to him for decade.

He has a fascinating discography. He's on so many albums that I have known and loved for years like Journey to the One and Staying on the Watch, but I'd never twigged that they all had the same player. 

It seems crazy to me that he isn't better known and more talked about.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2005 at 0:53 PM, Alfred said:

I have some recordings of Hicks as a sideman. The only CD I have with him as a leader is Inc.1 / DIW - a trio date with Walter Booker and Idris Muhammad. :tup

Managed to snag a reasonable copy off of Amazon (the copies on Discogs were considerably more expensive), but it will be a while before it turns up.  Maybe I'll listen to Hi Voltage in the meantime...