for those who missed out the cheap Universal Mosaics

tjobbe

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My order arrived today--amazing! :excited: Shipped from Germany on a Wednesday and arrives at my house in Philly the very next Monday (5 days total for those who don't want to count). Many of my domestic orders have taken longer than that! :rolleyes:

Way to go, Ron. How was the packaging? Any transatlantic damage?

My order arrived today--amazing! :excited: Shipped from Germany on a Wednesday and arrives at my house in Philly the very next Monday (5 days total for those who don't want to count). Many of my domestic orders have taken longer than that! :rolleyes:

Way to go, Ron. How was the packaging? Any transatlantic damage?

I actually haven't had a chance to go through it yet, Erik. I should be able to inspect everything tomorrow and let you know.

Just ordered the Monk Riverside box. I already own four of those albums but I'm gonna sell them to a friend of mine and end up paying only about €20 for the remainder of the box. :P

Edited by Kyo

I ordered the Wes set and Consecration by Bill Evans. Only received the former but have now been assured that the Evans' is on its way. I had a few of the Wes sets but mostly on very crummy German reissues put out by the Fantasy distributor that preceeded ZXY music. CD inserts printed on low grade paper , always creased up etc

I picked up the Pepper Galaxy, the Lightnin' Hopkins and the Dexter at the Frankfurt shop yesterday - the second CD is missing in the Pepper box .... :rolleyes: but the music is magnificent! Now I have to go there once more - luckily they had one more in stock and could reserve it.

BTW - the printing quality of the Pepper booklet leaves something to be desired, pretty grainy, but it says "Printed in the USA" .... sound of the discs is okay - seems they always imported the boxes and pressed the CDS in Germany, but from US masters, and put their ZYX stickers on 'em.

And: Who will handle distribution of the new Concord/Fantasy/Telarc imperium over here????

Edited by mikeweil

I was stupid enough to add two Stax Vol. 2 to my basket without reading/noticing the fact in I don't know how many "are you sure that is what you want" windows and e-mails.

Duh. Duh. Duh.

And they sent me three ? :blink:

I called and told them I wanted to return them and then, instead of sending return stickers, I get one more. :crazy:

I now have 4 (four) Stax #2 here. :rofl:

I should think I've got my Stax bases well covered. :g

... didn't anybody notice they also had this one:

Lightnin' Hopkins

THE COMPLETE PRESTIGE/Bluesville recordings 1960-64.

Prestige. 1991. 7 CDs 19,99 EUR. Nr. 29700

Another steal at that price!

Nobody got himself that one? You will regret it, it swings from beginning to end and is great fun to listen to!

B000000ZC4.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

There's some really groovy shit on that one.

Am diggin' it.

Thanks for the heads up.

... didn't anybody notice they also had this one:

Lightnin' Hopkins

THE COMPLETE PRESTIGE/Bluesville recordings 1960-64.

Prestige. 1991. 7 CDs 19,99 EUR. Nr. 29700

Another steal at that price!

Nobody got himself that one? You will regret it, it swings from beginning to end and is great fun to listen to!

B000000ZC4.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

There's some really groovy shit on that one.

Am diggin' it.

Thanks for the heads up.

My enthusiasm has diminished just a little - only as far as the session with rhythm section are concerned. Hopkins' playing was so irregular as far as song forms are concerned that he gave the rhythm men a very hard time following him, especially when they overdubbed (which was quite often the case here). But as a soloist, he was one of the greatest!

P.S.

Got my replacement for the Pepper box yesterday (disc 2 was missing) at the Frankfurt shop , and they had several copies of each box in stock - all of them the LP sized US boxes, whenever they were issued in that format.

So you still have a chance, it seems.

Didn't spot any more of the Mosaics, however .....

My enthusiasm has diminished just a little - only as far as the session with rhythm section are concerned. Hopkins' playing was so irregular as far as song forms are concerned that he gave the rhythm men a very hard time following him, especially when they overdubbed (which was quite often the case here). But as a soloist, he was one of the greatest!

Yeah, it's raw.

But like you said, still ...

Yeah, it's raw.

But like you said, still ...

I prefer Lightnin' Hopkins' late 1940s and early 1950s recordings, which were reissued on Arhoolie (Goldstar recordings), EMI (Aladdin recordings), Columbia (Mainstream recordings) and Ace (UK; Modern recordings)

P.S.

Got my replacement for the Pepper box yesterday (disc 2 was missing) at the Frankfurt shop , and they had several copies of each box in stock - all of them the LP sized US boxes, whenever they were issued in that format.

Their website says that they are sold out of the Wes Montgomery so I can't replace my defective one. I don't suppose anyone would be willing to go to the Frankfurt (or any other store) to buy another one for me? :w I could then return my defective one to the mail order part.

Their website says that they are sold out of the Wes Montgomery so I can't replace my defective one. I don't suppose anyone would be willing to go to the Frankfurt (or any other store) to buy another one for me? :w I could then return my defective one to the mail order part.

If I have the same problem and it is confined to just three tracks, I will just download them from emusic and burn replacement CDs. Not really the same, but less of a headache than trying to return the box set.

P.S.

Seems that of the LP sized boxes, only the Monk and Pepper remain at the Frankfurt shop - but someone should be able to help you out with a single disc .....

Looks like all of the box set deals are gone from the website again - either they're sold out, or they've flagged the sets to not show up in search results, as I think someone mentioned earlier in the thread. I'd intended to pick up both of the Stax/Volt singles box sets (vols. 2 & 3), but got distracted by work this week and figured I'd have time to place an order this weekend. :(

Anyone know if entering the stock number directly still works?

Just ordered the Monk Riverside box.

Got it today. It is indeed the big US box, awesome! :D

I got my Monk box today. It is sealed, but on the back it has a photocopied tracklisting with a handwritten product CD, rather than the properly printed sheet on other sets. Did anyone else get this, or did you get the proper sheet on the back of the box?

Oh & by the way, the cardboard packaging box arrived half-open, and one set missing! They are gracefully re-sending the missing set.

Thanks,

Brett.

I got my Monk box today. It is sealed, but on the back it has a photocopied tracklisting with a handwritten product CD, rather than the properly printed sheet on other sets. Did anyone else get this, or did you get the proper sheet on the back of the box?

Mine (received two weeks ago) also has a photocopied tracklisting with a handwritten product code on the back of the box. Given that the box and booklet were manufactured in the US, the CDs were manufactured in Germany, the box was sealed in plastic and everything appeared to be brand-new, my assumption is that the photocopied track listings were used by ZYX during the manufacture of at least this particular run of these sets (they may have run out of originals, if they ever had them at all).

Frankly, these track listings/descriptions of box sets often are temporarily attached with a spot of removable glue just so customers can see them in stores, and then remove them after purchase. So the photocopied listing on the back of the Monk set didn't really disturb me, given that the set in all other ways appeared factory-fresh/brand-new. I did wonder about it a little, however, but the fact that yours is the same as mine helps to confirm my assumption that this is the way they were manufactured.