for those who missed out the cheap Universal Mosaics

tjobbe

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the next "Merkheft", it seems that 2001 is throwing away lot's individual CDs from the ZYX overstock and lot of "not that prominent second level names" for 2€ and 3€ each, mostly US masters, some original but even a lot of the twoLP on 1CD compilation available as well. (Note: some of the infamous 20/24 Bit remasters are within the batch that should be itentifiable by the 20bit/24Bit name tag within the notes).

Cheers, Tjobbe

Thanks Tjobbe - just ordered half a dozen from that selection, at 3 euros each (one each by Humes, Rollins, Monk, Miles, Konitz, and Waldron, filling the small holes in my collection for these gents, and Songs I Like to Sing, which will be my introduction to Humes).

Most likely reiterating this but 2001 also has good prices on Brilliant Classics releases. This time I got the much lauded Janacek/Smetana/Martinu quartets set.

Edited by gnhrtg

The easiest wat I have found to search the jazz database is to sort by price (preis), click on the final page (currently 66) and work back. The most expensive items (like the box sets) will come up first. Apologies if this has already been mentioned.

My latest batch of goodies has arrived from Zwei. The 'Debut Story' is a beauty - as expected there is some overlap with the Mingus Debut box but also some great stuff (such as the John La Porta tracks) which are not in the Mingus box. Great booklet too, strongly recommended for Debut freaks. :crazy:

My latest batch of goodies has arrived from Zwei. The 'Debut Story' is a beauty - as expected there is some overlap with the Mingus Debut box but also some great stuff (such as the John La Porta tracks) which are not in the Mingus box. Great booklet too, strongly recommended for Debut freaks. :crazy:

I just got my box, but one of the four Ellington Carnegie sets was missing... let's hope it's still in stock there! Haven't opened the Debut (or Contemporary) Story boxes yet, but this sounds great! (I only wish they'd had the Mingus Debut, too, for one of those unbeatable prizes!)

I'd say wait for an opportunity to snap up the Mingus box - most of the other Debut sessions was reissued as single or twofer CDs - inluding the LaPorta, BTW, which I ordered from Zweitausendeins last week - and you will want to get the remaining sessions, anyway - it's not that much, and the duplications with the Mingus box are a little too many, IMO.

When I ordered last week only one of the Ellington Carmegie Hall boxes was still listed, but their stock seems to be changing every day. I bought a few in their Frankfurt shop that I never saw on their website!

There is significant overlap with the Debut 10CD set but some significant material that is not in the big box from John LaPorta, Kenny Dorham, Sam Most and Max Roach (with Mobley) - for those who don't have the individual CDs (ie. me). The booklet is also nice and supplements the Mingus 10CD book (it's totally different in content). Some nice pics too. I would recommend the Debut 4CD box - but then that's just my opinion.

It's also nice as a sampler/appetizer for the big set. :)

Edited by sidewinder

finally 2001 put an end to the drama

"I see and I think I know about the problem now:

We shipped an order to the spanish address, containing

item 500733 (Gordon, Compl. 11CD), but the two

additional ordered items (Pepper/Montgomery) were already sold out when

we prepared and shipped the goods. I am very sorry,

but those sets won´t get back in the near future. We are

trying to offer those sets again in autumn, but it is unclear

if we will really get a hold on more copies

Best wishes

Stephan Lüning

service@zweitausendeins.de

when autumn in germany begins? :)

Marcus Oliveira

I would guess that means around September. Thank you for sharing that information. It is more than I ever received for my order. I will keep my eye on their website for that Wes Montgomery box, I guess.

...My replacement order (which is now only the Dexter Gordon Prestige box) was supposedly shipped out on 21 April, but hasn't arrived yet either. :(

Hi everyone.

Sorry to break into the thread, but I wanted to say how helpful (and costly :lol: ) this has been for me. I am a new member to the forum and only recently became aware of its existence. As a result of the posts here, last night I ordered the Count Basie Mosaic from Amazon UK and the Jazztet and Gerry Mulligan sets from JPC. I already have several other sets which I have purchased direct from Mosaic or used.

After ordering the Mulligan set, I guess I'm feeling a bit of remorse/guilt for not buying it directly from Mosaic. The price difference was not that great and I do believe in supporting the company that made these sets possible. I guess my question is, what is the resale value of the "universal" sets like? That is, if I decided to sell the Mulligan set on Ebay, would I likely get my money back so that I could then buy from Mosaic? Maybe I'm just being silly :unsure:

Hi everyone.

Sorry to break into the thread, but I wanted to say how helpful (and costly :lol: ) this has been for me. I am a new member to the forum and only recently became aware of its existence. As a result of the posts here, last night I ordered the Count Basie Mosaic from Amazon UK and the Jazztet and Gerry Mulligan sets from JPC. I already have several other sets which I have purchased direct from Mosaic or used.

After ordering the Mulligan set, I guess I'm feeling a bit of remorse/guilt for not buying it directly from Mosaic. The price difference was not that great and I do believe in supporting the company that made these sets possible. I guess my question is, what is the resale value of the "universal" sets like? That is, if I decided to sell the Mulligan set on Ebay, would I likely get my money back so that I could then buy from Mosaic? Maybe I'm just being silly :unsure:

I'd guess the euro version will be worth less, but as I've no intention of selling any of my sets I'll never find out.

Hi everyone.

I'd guess the euro version will be worth less, but as I've no intention of selling any of my sets I'll never find out.

How much are a Mosaic versus Universal catalog number, and a number hand-written by someone in the Mosaic shipping department, worth? Given that the Universal sets are otherwise identical to the Mosaic sets, and are part of the same limited edition, I can't imagine there being much difference in price--if any--on Ebay. Then again, I'm assuming that most Ebay buyers aren't overly afflicted with obsessive-compulsive disorder. :crazy:

...the two additional ordered items (Pepper/Montgomery) were already sold out when

we prepared and shipped the goods. I am very sorry,

but those sets won´t get back in the near future. We are

trying to offer those sets again in autumn, but it is unclear

if we will really get a hold on more copies

I really hope they get more of those, I didn't really know who Art Pepper

was when they had the boxset available and now - after sampling some

of his work - I've been kicking myself for not buying the set back then.

Let's hope they also get the Art Pepper Village Vanguard set and

the Joe Henderson "Milestone Years" box. :)

Edited by Kyo

For the next "Merkheft", it seems that 2001 is throwing away lot's individual CDs from the ZYX overstock and lot of "not that prominent second level names" for 2€ and 3€ each, mostly US masters, some original but even a lot of the twoLP on 1CD compilation available as well. (Note: some of the infamous 20/24 Bit remasters are within the batch that should be itentifiable by the 20bit/24Bit name tag within the notes).

Cheers, Tjobbe

Thanks Tjobbe - just ordered half a dozen from that selection, at 3 euros each (one each by Humes, Rollins, Monk, Miles, Konitz, and Waldron, filling the small holes in my collection for these gents, and Songs I Like to Sing, which will be my introduction to Humes).

Most likely reiterating this but 2001 also has good prices on Brilliant Classics releases. This time I got the much lauded Janacek/Smetana/Martinu quartets set.

:party:

I just received my order (had also received a shipping notice a couple of days earlier). Everything arrived in good shape and all the OJC's are Fantasy Studios remastered (one was a digipak and the rest came in jewel cases).

Edited by gnhrtg

Thanks for the tip too, David A. I just followed David M's lead and ordered the Basie. Delivered price is $46.50, better than even the zweitausendeins price before shipping.

Basie Mosaic from Amazon UK: Ordered 24 April, shipped 28 April, arrived today :tup

Replacement Dexter Gordon box from zweitausendeins: Shipped (supposedly) 21 April, still not here :tdown

• 2 weeks later...

Update - now been 3 months since I placed my order, and nothing has shown up. :angry:

I emailed 2001 and told them I hadn't received anything, and to cancel my order. I also told them if anything ever shows up I would be sending it back to them.

Herr Luening (to his credit) apologized again, agreed to cancel my order and refund my credit card, and said if anything ever does show up, for me to just keep it.

aarrrggghhh.... :(

Update - now been 3 months since I placed my order, and nothing has shown up. :angry:

I emailed 2001 and told them I hadn't received anything, and to cancel my order. I also told them if anything ever shows up I would be sending it back to them.

Herr Luening (to his credit) apologized again, agreed to cancel my order and refund my credit card, and said if anything ever does show up, for me to just keep it.

aarrrggghhh.... :(

Sorry! :( I feel somewhat responsible. :ph34r:

Not at all, Ron! I just think I fell into a completely unusual situation, not the norm.

They messed up my order, ended up not having all of what they claimed to have in stock due to their storage issues, shipped the partial order late, that never arrived, shipped another, and that has never arrived. I think there's blame to be spread on both 2001 and their shipper, DHL (or the U.S. postal system).

It was frustrating, but I would probably order from them again if they have more boxes in the future I want. I have seen enough successful orders pass through this board that I know they're not a bad business. And I spent plenty of DM's and Euro's in their shops a few years back, as well.

Besides, I kind of recall talking you into placing your order originally, as well :P

Received the Tatum Group, Yerba Buena and Dexter Gordon sets

Just ordered 3 dozen or so Fantasy titles plus the Good Time Jazz Story box plus a Brilliant Classics set... :(

German sounds fascinating - gotta learn myself some, one of these days... :D

"Schönen Dank für Ihre Bestellung!

Sobald Ihre Bestellung bei uns ist, bestätigen wir den Erhalt per E-Mail.

Bei Rückfragen geben Sie bitte diese Auftragsnummer an: xxxyyyyy

Bei allen Fragen, die Ihre Bestellung oder das Angebot betreffen, wenden Sie sich bitte an Service@Zweitausendeins.de. "

I just bought the Dexter Gordon Prestige set from Zweitausendeins, although I had no clue how to navigate (or read) their site. I ended up with a confirmation number, so the order was placed, but I worry how good their service is to English speakers. Has anyone in the US or UK had problems with them? What is the average turnaround time for shipping? 2 weeks? Longer?

I just bought the Dexter Gordon Prestige set from Zweitausendeins, although I had no clue how to navigate (or read) their site. I ended up with a confirmation number, so the order was placed, but I worry how good their service is to English speakers. Has anyone in the US or UK had problems with them? What is the average turnaround time for shipping? 2 weeks? Longer?

I bought that Dexter Gordon box from 2001. The exchange with the outfit was done in english. Once the language problem has been settled, everything went as well as it could.

The shipment came in very fast (not so sure it's will be as fast for the shipment to cross the Atlantic).

Found their service excellent. I am making more purchases from them!

Cheers, Tjobbe

:party:

I just received my order (had also received a shipping notice a couple of days earlier). Everything arrived in good shape and all the OJC's are Fantasy Studios remastered (one was a digipak and the rest came in jewel cases).

Gokhan, the "Songs I like to Sing" disc is terrific! Will probably soon be among my favourite vocal discs (I got it from this same sale, a few weeks ago).

As for the digipacks being "Fantasy Studio remastered" - can anyone confirm? I think all the digipacks have that line on their back, my guess is they just copy/paste it from the US releases and it's a lie, but I don't know for sure...