for those who missed out the cheap Universal Mosaics

tjobbe

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the digipacks being "Fantasy Studio remastered" - can anyone confirm? I think all the digipacks have that line on their back, my guess is they just copy/paste it from the US releases and it's a lie, but I don't know for sure...

Some yes, some no: I got three with my order, with mixed results:

Hal Gaylor/Billy Bean/Walter Norris Trio - this obviously is the US remaster and sounds okay

Benny Carter Jazz Giant - too much treble

Bobby Timmons Born To Be Blue - sounds like having been de-hissed so much you can't hear the cymbals any more - I was lucky: I just sold it on ebay.

Edited by mikeweil

you can easily identify the "Bad ones" when you read Remastered 200x at ZYX studios..by using Apogee PSX100 and by the article number starting OJC20_/OJC24_

If heard this many times, but is this always so? IIRC the ZYX remaster of "The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery" sounds better than the original OJC CD.

F

Another considerations when thinking about buying from a set from Mosaic or Universal is Mosaic's excellent after sales service.

Once I misplaced/lost a Hank Mobley CD, despair turned to relief when Mosaic provided a replacement.

Then I went shopping, my Stanley Turrentine jewel case was at the bottom of the bag, and the paper insets were damaged by meat juice leaking from a packet, again Mosaic had the replacement.

(I suppose a case could be made that I am a careless and therefore an unworthy owner of Mosaic sets, in the best of worlds they would be confiscated and redisitiibuted to people who know how take care of them. My only defence is that I have reformed)

I have a few European "Mosaic" sets, I don't care really that much about resale value, but should anything happen to these sets, a lost CD or damaged booklet, then I'm stranded.

The difference in price is also not really that great, particularly when considering the value of the dollar right now.

Also, the past deluge of Universal/Mosaic sets on the cheap may be a thing of the past. Instead of the earlier 10.000 sets, only 7.500 sets have been made of the Buddy Rich and the Oliver Nelson sets.

Of course, if I find a set at sale price here in Europe, I'll probably buy it, but there are all the same definite advantages to buying directly from Mosaic.

Edited by andersf

• 2 weeks later...

For those still having money in the pocket, 2001 is now selling finally the Sonny Rollins Freelance years 5CD box for 15€ (and if you don't have it, buy it now).

On sale as well you'll find the Monk Prestige 3fer for unbeatable 6€ and a lot of those 2,99€ OJC and other Fantasy releases from non that prominent artists added like four Charles Earland, Stitt&Patterson, two 70's Hampton Hawes, another Eric Kloss etc...

Cheers, Tjobbe

P.S. two records I've buyed ad hoc (beside the Monk Prestige and the Eric Kloss one) is the 2LP on 1 CD set of Bobby Timmons on Prestige and one Johnny Griffin (The Kerry Dancers) containing interpretations of UK Folk songs. (never saw both before elsewhere)

Edited by tjobbe

For those still having money in the pocket, 2001 is now selling finally the Sonny Rollins Freelance years 5CD box for 15€ (and if you don't have it, buy it now).

Outrageous! - they'll be giving Sonny away with packets of cornflakes next. :D

I noticed also that the Dexter Gordon box was now below 30 Euros.

Those single Prestige/Milestone CDs at 2.99 are great. Particular mention for the Kloss and Timmons, both very good listening value.

one buying advise (as someone enjoying Horace Silver's playing) is the Paris Blues CD for 3€, even for the regular price a great set with with great music as well as the Ellington&Brown duette on This one's for Blanton.

Cheers, Tjobbe

I'm having trouble filling out the order form for this; didn't they once have the option of English language?

True Brit eh? :blush:

I'm having trouble filling out the order form for this; didn't they once have the option of English language?

find your items, click on [notieren]

a [bestellzettel] link will pop up in the right column with your item(s) in it.

to check out, click on the [bestellzettel] link in the right hand column

check the box just below the listing (near the [AGB] link)

click the [weiter] button

login or enter your data (use a dictionary, you are living in Großbritannien)

enter credit card secrets; click the [weiter] button

glance over and click the "Bestellung abschicken" button

And once complete, you will have deposited X number of Euro-zloty's into couw's Paypal account. :P

I have two related questions (to ordering on the 2001 website). Is it possible to have different shipping and billing address? Second, can you use one of these "English" addresses, i.e. Somerset House, Milton Rd., where there are two phrases and no numbers in the address? It certainly didn't look like the form could handle that, so I've had my previous order sent to my home address, but I would prefer it sent to work. Thanks.

Eric

I have two related questions (to ordering on the 2001 website). Is it possible to have different shipping and billing address? Second, can you use one of these "English" addresses, i.e. Somerset House, Milton Rd., where there are two phrases and no numbers in the address? It certainly didn't look like the form could handle that, so I've had my previous order sent to my home address, but I would prefer it sent to work. Thanks.

Eric

yes Eric, you have two addresses, one for the invoice that would match basically the address on the CC, if you pay by that as forigner, and the there is a tick-box below the first that is followed by an entry box allowing to enter a delivery address different from invoice address.

Let me know if you need some support on that.

Cheers, Oliver

Looks like ZYX has a strict deadline to get rid of their stock .....

...and I have a strict deadline from my wife to stop helping them to get rid of those.....

so you won't get scolded? greengrin.gif

:g no further comments....

Cheers, Oliver

Yeah, managed that bit but the payment page was different from last time. I'll check again later. Cheers John.

Yeah, managed that bit but the payment page was different from last time. I'll check again later. Cheers John.

That's because of what Aggie explained. Don't worry--John will take REAL good care of your money. :P

... I've had my previous order sent to my home address, but I would prefer it sent to work.

so you won't get scolded? :g

To a certain extent, but also I've had problems with packages delivered when I am not home. As much as I would like to sit around all day waiting for jazz in the mail, it isn't possible. What about the fact that the work address doesn't have any numbers, just two names? Stick it all onto the street name line?

one buying advise (as someone enjoying Horace Silver's playing) is the Paris Blues CD for 3€, even for the regular price a great set with with great music as well as the Ellington&Brown duette on This one's for Blanton.

Cheers, Tjobbe

Sh..... - I forgot to type in "Pablo" when I checked all the labels! But I have the Ellington/Brown .....

Funny enough, my partial order from zweitausendeins in February showed up last week when I was out of town. The one box that they managed to ship to me, the Dexter Gordon Prestige set.

The packaging was pretty beat up, but the box set itself seems fine. There was even "ein kleines Geschenk" with it, apologizing for their warehouse relocation and the delay in shipping my order. The present was a Modigliani book.

Since the letter is dated 7 March, it was the first order they shipped me. The second one - shipped in April - also has yet to show up. I guess I can't complain too much, as they reimbursed me for the shipping costs originally, and later for the actual box set cost, and told me to keep it if it ever arrived.

Overall a bad experience, but great customer service by 2001.