"Organs"

Jazz Kat

I been thinking about making either piano or guitar my main instrument. I guess I'm meeting half way. I always loved that greasy sound. I been learning some organ technique. My keyboard has a pretty lame organ sound, and I'm sick of calling myself a so called "organist" and not even own one. I'm looking for something close to an organ. Either like a portable organ or some kind of electric keyboard that has a REALLY authentic organ sound and is easily affortable; something like in the 300-700 dollar range. Any recommendations?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that's a pretty simple song. I forget what key it's in. I think it might be in the same key as blue train, or it might be an f blues. You can do it.

I think it's in whatever key you want to play it in, actually.

Although in fairness, usually F (as you say) in my experience.

To answer the question, I sometimes play a Viscount DB3. This has drawbars, so might be a good way to get used to learning your own registrations. It has a good touch, and is also available as a module. It's also much cheaper than other models.

However, what proper organists will correctly tell you is that just because it looks a little like a piano doesn't mean it can be dabbled in...it's very much it's own instrument. The techniques are ultimately very different.

The cheapest alternative to a B3 that you're going to find would probably be an M3. It uses the same theory of operation (tonewheels) but just less of them. It doesn't really have a bass octave except for an octave of small pedals (much smaller than real B3 pedals). That's what I learned on, though. It has drawbars, the percussion feature, chorus/vibrato, etc. I used to put a synth on top and play left hand bass lines on that using a very simple patch that emulated the B3's bass.

They are usually very cheap. Under $400 and as little as $150 sometimes. They have a built-in speaker so you don't even need an amp or Leslie. An M100 is another good alternative, almost the same as an M3.

Edited by Jim Alfredson

When i was talking about what key it's in, I meant the key of the original recording.

Fair enough! Didn't mean to sound sarcastic with my remark - just short of time, and it came out wrong! :)

Don't know what Jim would make of this, but you might want to think about keeping the piano up, at least at first - a LOT more gigs going, I'd have thought...

The cheapest alternative to a B3 that you're going to find would probably be an M3. It uses the same theory of operation (tonewheels) but just less of them. It doesn't really have a bass octave except for an octave of small pedals (much smaller than real B3 pedals). That's what I learned on, though. It has drawbars, the percussion feature, chorus/vibrato, etc. I used to put a synth on top and play left hand bass lines on that using a very simple patch that emulated the B3's bass.

They are usually very cheap. Under $400 and as little as $150 sometimes. They have a built-in speaker so you don't even need an amp or Leslie. An M100 is another good alternative, almost the same as an M3.

Where would I go about finding one?