Gil Mellé

Durium

• 2 years later...

I just received notice that my order for 'Patterns in Jazz' is on its way. woo hoo.

I don't know much about this CD (other than the sound samples I could find at hmv-Japan) but the lineup of baritone, guitar, and trombone is intriguing. Any opinions on 'Patterns' (or Gil more generally)?

melle_gil~~_patternsi_101b.jpg

Edited by montg

I just received notice that my order for 'Patterns in Jazz' is on its way. woo hoo.

I don't know much about this CD (other than the sound samples I could find at hmv-Japan) but the lineup of baritone, guitar, and trombone is intriguing. Any opinions on 'Patterns' (or Gil more generally)?

melle_gil~~_patternsi_101b.jpg

It's my favourite Gil Melle album, for what it's worth. Nice tunes, swings, has that "Jimmy Giuffre 3" vibe.

It's my favourite Gil Melle album, for what it's worth. Nice tunes, swings, has that "Jimmy Giuffre 3" vibe.

That's the type of vibe I'm hoping for, thanks!

It's becoming ridiculously difficult to track this type of music down..anything a little off-center. Hard to believe 10 years ago BN released the complete Gil Melle; if i'd only known then what i know now....

That's the type of vibe I'm hoping for, thanks!

It's becoming ridiculously difficult to track this type of music down..anything a little off-center. Hard to believe 10 years ago BN released the complete Gil Melle; if i'd only known then what i know now....

I bought "Patterns" years ago, and it sat virtually unlistened until last year. When I rediscovered it, I bought the OJC "Primitive Modern/Quadrama" (think it's a very similar line-up of musicians but don't quote me as the CD itself is in the attic). I didn't like that one as much as "Patterns", but, inspired by this thread, I'll try again.

Edited by rdavenport