AOTW: Jan 1-Jan7

Allan Songer

Teddy Edwards - Teddy's Ready (click here to buy)

B000000YY2.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Teddy Edwards was my favorite player. I must have heard him live at least 50 times--probably more--between the late 1970's and his passing. He never failed to deliver the goods, even at the end when his body was giving out. And I have never heard ANYONE live who could play a ballad like Teddy Edwards--he'd break your heart in two with just an opening 4-bar phrase.

Anyway, I digress. This album from 1960 captured a working band in the studio, even though they were no longer a unit when the LP was released. Teddy on tenor, the underappreciated Joe Castro on piano, Leroy Vinnegar on bass and Billy Higgins on drums. You can also hear this same group on a record relased on Atlantic with Joe Castro billed as the leader titled "Groove, Funk, Soul" and there are also two cuts on MetroJazz 1011 billed as "Teddy Edwards at Falcon's Lair"--the rest of the record is a decent enough Sonny Rollins date, but the Edwards cuts are loose and swingng and just flat out SMOKE.

It's really apparant that this is a group that had been working together for some time--even the relaxed blues workout is tight--Castro and Edwards play off each other beautifully and Vinnegar is as rock solid as ever and what can you say about the young Billy Higgins? Warhorses like "A Train" and "Scrapple from the Apple" are fresh and bursting with energy. The Edwards originals are interesting tunes--he was a gifted composer and never really got his due for that talent either.

Anyway, this is enough--go spin "Teddy's Ready!" again and let me know what you think.

Just recently picked this one up, and its definitely a good 'un. Teddy is someone I slept on for a time, but I started to correct that maybe three or four years ago, even tracking down some European releases that are real nice. I've yet to hear a less than solid Teddy Edwards date. :tup:wub:

This is a lovely album. And the band are great together.

I think Leroy, not usually famed for soloing, plays two of the greatest bass solos I've ever heard on "Blues in G" and "A train". Not that they're so technically wonderfull; he wasn't that kind of player. But they're so goddamn GROOVY! This is the reason bass players are sometimes allowed to solo; in the hope that they might come up with something like this. But tey don't usually.

I think this isn't quite as inventive as "Groove Funk Soul". It's more of a straight jazz session with no tricks or frills. As well as having what must be the greatest, and most honest, title of all time, that album has several unusual approaches to tunes which, for me, lift it just a fraction above "Teddy's ready".

Another thing about Teddy; he never stopped developing. He always had new ideas. So I think that, to "get" Teddy, you really have to have pretty nearly all his albums. That way, you can see the man as his life went on. I have all but three, which I shall get in due course, and the scope of his ideas just lays me out.

Also, Teddy was a wonderful songwriter. Apart from Horace Silver, whose songs are nothing to write home about, Teddy is the only Jazz musician who wrote both words and music to his songs. And the words were as good, down to earth, earcatching, as the music. Indeed, the words enhance the music. And I always feel that Teddy was playing with words in his mind.

MG

Another thing about Teddy; he never stopped developing. He always had new ideas. So I think that, to "get" Teddy, you really have to have pretty nearly all his albums. That way, you can see the man as his life went on. I have all but three, which I shall get in due course, and the scope of his ideas just lays me out.

Yeah? Didja know about this one?

DJ731-2_72.jpg

I bow to no man in my admiration of Teddy! ;)

Sorry to admit that I missed this one when it first came out (though I used to own a copy of "Groove, Funk and Soul"), delighted to make its acquaintance now. Though I'll jhave to go back and check, this probably is the best Edwards I've heard -- in large part, as Allen Songer said, because this was a marvelous WORKING group; the relaxed, deep interaction among all parties here usually doesn't come about otherwise. Terrific listening rhythm section. Joe Castro had his own thing, especiually in terms of time and touch; Vinnegar is in top form; and Higgins at that age ... well he was always a joy, but when he was this young there's a special freshness to him, in part because he's more snare oriented than he'd become. Not better than the later Higgins, just a little different. An excellent recording too, even by Contemporary's standards; everything sounds knitted together spatially yet properly distinct. Interesting how much Teddy sounds like Von Freeman here at odd moments e.g. "Scrapple" and "What's New." While it's a blowing date, every piece has the no-waste wholeness of a fully worked-out composition. Thanks again for picking this; I might never have heard it otherwise.

Yeah? Didja know about this one?

DJ731-2_72.jpg

I bow to no man in my admiration of Teddy! ;)

Never seen that one before. That's four I haven't got!

Found out the other day, from someone who knew him pretty well, that his favourite album of his own was "Blue saxophone". Mine, too.

MG

• 3 weeks later...

I had the pleasure to be able to talk briefly to Teddy when he played at our local jazz club when he was touring Europe as a single in the ewarly 90s. He seemed an aimiable and easy going guy. This come out in his music which has a nice natural flow.

This is a very nice disc, second to none in his discography imo. Teddy writes nice tune too and the rhythm section is first rate.

Recommended.