True Blue Promotion @ Mosaic

Well, my Chico Hamilton set arrived today. I've been jumping around a bit, picking out a few tracks here and there. I really like what I've heard so far. I'll probably put this one on the back burner until I get through the Johnny Smith set, and the AEC set I bagged along with it.

By the way, what's up with the packaging of the Charlie Christian set? :wacko::wacko: It has to be the worst I've ever encountered. I listened to a little of disc one and it sounds great though.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My package arrived today via suface mail to the UK .

The JJ Johnson set

the AEC box

& Sonny Rollins at the Village Vanguard .

I was a bit surprised how low the number on the JJ set was - 3733 of 7500.

I played disc 1 of the AEC box first , I'm relieved how good it was not knowing any AEC material previously (except Snurdy McGurdy's Dancing shoes ) , cant wait to work my way through the rest of the discs.

I'm a bit concerned though i ordered the Chico Hamilton set a week before this one but its not here yet.

I'll be launching 'operation Mosaic' tonight to try & smuggle all these in past my wife without her noticing , when i get home from work tonight :ph34r:

Edited by Gary

I was a bit surprised how low the number on the JJ set was - 3733 of 7500.

Yeah, I'm really surprised that the J.J. set has stuck around as long as it has. You won't regret getting it, that's for sure--it's some of his best work, I think.

Good luck with the smuggling operation!

Thanks ,

I'm just going home now

camouflage%20backpack.jpg

I'll be launching 'operation Mosaic' tonight to try & smuggle all these in past my wife without her noticing , when i get home from work tonight :ph34r:

I'm sweatin' bullets...I told the wife I was going to break down and order a set due to the sale, but I'd just get a small one. Any chance that the Capitol Jazz set, the Complete Savoy/Dial Parker set and four RVGs will come in a reeeeeal small box? :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be launching 'operation Mosaic' tonight to try & smuggle all these in past my wife without her noticing , when i get home from work tonight  :ph34r:

I'm sweatin' bullets...I told the wife I was going to break down and order a set due to the sale, but I'd just get a small one. Any chance that the Capitol Jazz set, the Complete Savoy/Dial Parker set and four RVGs will come in a reeeeeal small box? :blink:

Since my wife started playing saxophone she's a lot cooler about me ordering jazz cds, as she wants some for herself .... I highly recommend this way of reducing the trouble about cd orders, well at least as we stay in the budget ;) but when I start thinking about how many cds we could have bought for the money that went into buying the horn ... :rolleyes:

Edited by mikeweil

Its Operation Mosaic Pt 4 tonight - Codename Chico Hamilton . :ph34r::ph34r:

Saved a bit a of money compared to saxaphone lessons , my wife & i agreed it was about time i updated my old briefcase that i take to work , so i changed it to a nice bigger shoulder bag that comes in very handy for anything I might order off the net and accidently put the delivery address as my workplace & not home.

Next time I am in Knowle I will look out for someone looking shifty with an enormous satchel. I am planning for my own operation "Hamilton/AEC gross out" probably sometime next week !!!

:D:D:D:D

Thats me - but if she catches me you can delete that f in shifty!

I'll be launching 'operation Mosaic' tonight to try & smuggle all these in past my wife without her noticing , when i get home from work tonight  :ph34r:

I am so in the same boat as you guys. The last time I ordered more than one Mosaic, my wife found them and I thought I going to be summarily executed. We recently saw American Splendor and there were a couple of scenes that cut uncomfortably close to the bone: At one point Pekar says record collecting is like an addiction (jab from the wife). Later, Pekar's wife is packing some of his 78's to sell and he franticly stops her, saying, "No, not the 78's; they're important; you can't get rid of any of the IMPORTANT stuff." Brabner replies, "ALL your stuff is 'important'---I don't have any room here!" More jabs from my wife. One thing's for sure----hiding new purchases from your wife and discreetly folding them into your home collection is an art, and like any art it takes time to master. We'll get it right eventually. :ph34r::unsure:

Edited by BruceH

I was toying with the idea of taking advantage of this sale again (I bought the Jacquet set earlier in August), but then I made the mistake of telling my wife all the sets I wanted for my upcoming birthday. :rolleyes: So, I got on the laptop while we were watching Lord of the Rings last night, and started playing around with different orders. I ended up ordering something not on my list, that I probably wouldn't have considered otherwise - the Duke Ellington Reprise set. The only Duke I've ever heard is the album he did with John Coltrane, so I'm pretty excited to hear something new.

When I got up to go get my credit card, I said to my wife "Well, I'm going to master the possibilities" (referring to the Mastercard TV commercials) and my wife replied "what, you're going to the bathroom?" :D I got major dirty looks when she saw what I was doing, but I just used the "I'll get money for my birthday" excuse. :)

Edited by vibes

...When I got up to go get my credit card, I said to my wife "Well, I'm going to master the possibilities" (referring to the Mastercard TV commercials) and my wife replied "what, you're going to the bathroom?"  :D  ...

:g

MAN! Your wife is G O O D!

:D

Better get on it guys!  Tomorrows the last day...

A To Erica... B)

So what did you get? Or what did she give you? :lol: Or, is that just none of my business? :unsure:

pryan,

I ended up purchasing the Green and Weston Selects. (Love the Weston; especially disc 3. The Green hasn't grabbed me yet, with a couple listens.) My bonuses - AND I DO MEAN BONUSES were Chuck's AEC box and The Eminent JJ Johnson, Vol 1 RVG Editon. (I actually ordered Vol 2, I'm pretty sure, but received this one; no big deal, I had neither.)

If I can decrypt your post, Erica is not my wife. That would be my Shelley, Shellebelle, Shellesberry Pie, Shellfish, Shelleybellybaby...I'm sure you get the picture... ;) But, she did give me the gift certificate that enabled this purchase. (I had to add $52...).

Thanks to everyone, and especially Chuck, for the recommendations of the AEC box. I'm very glad I got it. "A To Erica" is my favorite track from it, so far. Not sure my wife is very glad I got it though... :w The "outside" stuff is hard on her. Some of it, she says, is so far outside, it's out in the forest!!! :D

But she's really the greatest... :wub:

But hey, this leads me to something else:

This is the second time she's gotten me a Mosaic gift cert for a gift. Is it just me or....

I think Mosaic really needs to consider updating the way they handle gift certificates. They're not electronic, in any way. They are a paper gift certificate, signed by Cindy at Mosaic. So, wife orders one online; pays with a credit card. They charge 10 freakin' dollars to send it to me, which took a week. Then my order, which was valued at just over 150 dollars, required 12 freakin' dollars to ship. And, it took 3 freakin' weeks to arrive!!! (After I mailed in my order; YOU CAN ONLY REDEEM THE GIFT CERTIFICATES BY MAIL) Much different than just ordering a set online by credit card, which have arrived to me in about 3-5 days, including a weekend! So 22 bucks went toward shipping for this whole deal. I mean, yes, I realize their shipments are insured; good thing the mail didn't lose the gift certificate when I mailed it for 37 cents.

This just irritates the shit out of me! I haven't done it yet, but I'm gonna email them about improving this aspect of their operation. And I've instructed Shellebelle to just create her own little "Mosaic" gift cert for me, and I just order the sets online with a credit card.

"end of rant" :excited: B)