Feb 7th RVG Batch

mgraham333

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whats the problem with the covers now? all the sames are spelled right....

check page 6 in this thread

Might be better to recommend checking a post by using the post number. Everyone's settings seem to be different - for instance, in my case this thread is only 4 pages long.

What does the JRVG of Gigolo sound like (if their was one)? Is the US RVG the same master?

I thought Blue Note and RVG were going to start using the Japanese masters instead of redoing them.

There is a JRVG of "Gigolo". It sounds pretty good, although quite a bit different than the 20-bit TOCJ. I can't really say which I like better, its been awhile since I compared them. I do recall that I didn't have a strong enough preference to get rid of either of them.

I also heard that BN was going to start using the same remaster for JRVGs and RVGs. I am not sure if this is true (it makes sense though) and if so, when there started to be just one RVG remaster instead of two.

To add to this confusion, there is also now a TOCJ24 of this date- Toshiba TOCJ 6600.

Edited by riverrat

John, I'll be interested in hearing your comments on GIGOLO. I hope I didn't put too much of a damper on your enthusiasm, because I'm telling you right now: this is Mogie at his finest!!! "You Go to My Head" is worth the price of admission alone!

Just heard it for the first time ever. Musically :tup:tup . I love Lee's solo on "Trapped." The sound is OK, though I think I've heard better Blue Notes. It's going to take me a few spins to get used to the sound of Higgins' drums. Sounds to me like RVG mic'd the drums too hot, then had to back them off a bit in the mix, and as a result, gave the drums a bit of a "muddy" sound, especially for Higgins. This is some of the "heaviest" (I'm speaking literally here) drumming I've heard from Higgins. Very Blakey-esque. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but a few degrees removed from the crispness I usually expect from Billy.