Feb 7th RVG Batch

mgraham333

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my shiny silver "Gigilo" sounds fine to me. is there something I'm missing with this title? (that first rock and roll tune might be over the top even more via the vangelder) ;)

always wondered why some of them RVGs of the 20 bitters that sounded pretty good when released a few years prior - "Sixth Sense" etc..? needed to be given the new compressover.

RVGs seem to be selling better, compression and all...

Interestingly enough, a digital engineer I know said there was SERIOUS compression going on on the TOCJ series of discs, 16 and 20 bit.

Anyway, RVGs don't sound the way they used to. I think they sound great for the most part.

I'll probably get "Gettin' Around" first from this batch. All the Dexter talk lately! :D

IMO

the JRVG of The Gigolo didn't sound very good....

listened via headphones

:)

I concur. Kinda like the "Adam's Apple" JRVG...where's the bass?

I've not heard the domestic RVG'd Apple...

My understanding is that domestic RVGs are now based on the JRVG remasters, and have been for the past several batches of RVGs. This is a change from the early RVG days when the two series were based on different remasters.

I'm not sure exactly when this change came into effect- it seems that the powers that be decided it was not cost effective to have Rudy doing two remaster jobs for each session. This never made much sense to me either. Now they just use the JRVG remaster when releasing a domestic RVG.

Perhaps someone who has followed this issue closer than I have can shed some light on the accuracy and details of this.

my shiny silver "Gigilo" sounds fine to me. is there something I'm missing with this title? (that first rock and roll tune might be over the top even more via the vangelder) ;)

always wondered why some of them RVGs of the 20 bitters that sounded pretty good when released a few years prior - "Sixth Sense" etc..? needed to be given the new compressover.

RVGs seem to be selling better, compression and all...

Interestingly enough, a digital engineer I know said there was SERIOUS compression going on on the TOCJ series of discs, 16 and 20 bit.

I'm not so sure about that, it should be audible if there was any serious compression (no dynamics) and it isn't. The sound waves I've seen of many TOCJs look OK, too.

When I compared the TOCJs and the RVGs on a scope they didn't look that different!

Anyway, the new ones sound a lot different than the first year's did. I enjoy them. TOCJs DO sound sort of dull and flat to me nowadays. I guess it's different strokes, and systems, for different folks. I'm glad the series has kept going and am curious to hear the Prestige versions.

Well, all but the Turrentine, which I think I may already have on a Mosaic

I don't think the Joyride session is on the Mosaic.

Any comments on the Mobley?

The Turrentine is not on the Mosaic, which is smaller groups. That being said, Joyride is basically Blue Note's approximation of what Jimmy Smith was doing with the Oliver Nelsn big band arrangements on Verve, not essential at all to my ears. Mobley's Workout, on the other hand, belongs in the collection of every Organissimo member, one of his career highlights.

Well, all but the Turrentine, which I think I may already have on a Mosaic

I don't think the Joyride session is on the Mosaic.

Any comments on the Mobley?

The Turrentine is not on the Mosaic, which is smaller groups. That being said, Joyride is basically Blue Note's approximation of what Jimmy Smith was doing with the Oliver Nelsn big band arrangements on Verve, not essential at all to my ears.

That's good enough for me.

Workout, on the other hand, I've owned and enjoyed for a decade or more. Might just get the RVG anyway, just for the heck of it.

It's up there with 'Soul Station' and 'Roll Call'.

There's no higher praise. I'm trying to stay within a budget and be somewhat selective, but I'm not going to pass this up. I don't have any earlier versions of 'Workout', so it's brand new to me.

Edited by montg

You've got to wonder about why "Joyride" was selected - there is certainly much more worthy, even a bit of underappreciated Turrentine stuff that could easily be candidates for the RVG series way ahead of this one. The cover does have a certain attitude and maybe that's the simplest reason.

Perhaps there needs to be a new "Wanted for RVG release" thread. Personally, I'm hoping for zero duplication with the now easily-available-on-ebay-for-decent-prices Japanese RVG's and looking for some stuff more out on the edges, here's a few:

SAM RIVERS- A NEW CONCEPTION

ANDREW HILL - COMPULSION

ORNETTE COLEMAN - NEW YORK IS NOW

BOBBY HUTCHERSON - TOTAL ECLIPSE

ELVIN JONES - POLY-CURRENTS

SAM RIVERS - EXTENSIONS & DIMENSIONS

ELVIN JONES - GENESIS

McCOY TYNER - EXTENSIONS

BIG JOHN PATTON - THAT CERTAIN FEELING

Now, before everyone jumps all over it - I know none of these will ever make it.

But then again, I thought that about 'In Pursuit Of The 27th Man ' and I wet myself when it was announced....

I acctually think Joyride is a great date, and am glad to see it getting "the treatment."

My RVG wish list would include the Art Hodes material. This is great stuff that I would love to hear in RVG remastering. Likewise I would like to see the Urbie Green and the Lou Mecca be RVG'd.

You've got to wonder about why "Joyride" was selected - there is certainly much more worthy, even a bit of :

ELVIN JONES - POLY-CURRENTS

ELVIN JONES - GENESIS

I think those you listed would more likely be Conn candidates. It will a long time for the Jones' sessions as they are currently available as part of the Mosaic set (a fabulous set, BTW).

Edited by John Tapscott

• 4 weeks later...