Feb 7th RVG Batch

mgraham333

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone else catch the "Retouched Cover on The Way" note on the front of the Workout cd?

What does this mean? Is there something actually printed on the cover that says that? Can you post an image?

My CDUniverse package doesn't arrive until tomorrow....

Yes, it is actually printed in white on the cover. I have no idea what that means.

Could be that the number in the red oval dot next to Blue Note is different. An LP version I have has 84080 in the dot. The photo on Amazon (if it's right) the number is 37771.

Yeah, sorry I wasn't paying attention to the full message. I just seemed too friggin' weird to think that they would release a cover with the to come part. :blink: I saw it in person today & thought it was just so sad.

When I first heard the word "retouched" I was wondering if they had removed his cigarette.

D'oh - missed Man With Golden Arm's joke about that!

Edited by Quincy

Just opened my copy of Dexter Gordon's "Gettin' Around." The disc has absolutely no label printed on it. Both sides look the same. The music's there though . . .

A friend bought a sealed copy of the Sam Rivers "Contours" Conn about a year back, and it was totally blank too. Music was fine, but no printed label on the "non music" side of the CD itself.

WTF?? Where's quality control???!!!!!!!!

Who's on crack at Blue Note? This is some real farm league stuff...."Retouched Photo To Come"...THAT'S a new one....

Yeah, I got mine from CD Universe today. I ordered BEFORE I knew there was a problem. Oh well, I don't care that much in that I'm all for the music, but as a customer it's again disappointing batch after batch has a flaw. How can this keep happening. Doesn't seem to be a problem with other CDs I buy no matter how small or big the label.

Edited by Soul Stream

The Gigolo is en route!! I can hardly wait!

Dude, once you get the RVG The Gigilo, what are you going to do with yourself? I mean, for you it's kind of like winning the Superbowl...what's left after that?

Good question... I haven't really though about it... I guess you're right, I've got no reason to go on living :(

Wrong!!! You've got to go on if nor other reason but to listen to "The Gigolo" endlessly also you need to let me know the next time an Audioquest sale is happening in your neighborhood!!! :g

This sort of thing from Blue Note is nothing better than ridiculous in my opinion. Blue Note is selling a 'specialty' product in that it's selling jazz to the few of us who still enjoy and purchase jazz. Blue Note desires that we who purchase jazz continue to purchase jazz versus other means of obtaining the music in the modern day (to which I completely agree -- I'd rather purchase the music and own the genuine article).

At the same time Blue Note fails to prove a trustworthy source for the product it delivers. The company charges the regular price yet provides a defective product. I don't recall the CDUniverse web site advertising the latest Blue Note RVG titles as 'seconds' at a discounted price.

One of the defective Hank Mobley covers might be a collector's item some day, however.

Edited by wesbed

I picked up the Mobley with the misprint on the cover. I was wavering whether to buy it and then I saw the misprint and decided to get it. It will add a nice little curiousity to the collection.

I picked up the Mobley with the misprint on the cover. I was wavering whether to buy it and then I saw the misprint and decided to get it. It will add a nice little curiousity to the collection.

What are they gonna do, white out the pack of smokes a la Robert Johnson?

Has anyone else listened to THE GIGOLO yet? I hope I just got a defective pressing or maybe it’s another reverse polarization thing, but this thing sounds like CRAP. Higgins’ drums are buried way back in the mix (hell, it sounds like it was mastered thru a transistor radio two rooms over), Mogie’s entrance on “Yes I Can, No You Can’t,” explosive on the McMaster, sounds like a mere “excuse me” on the RVG!

Man, I hope the rest of the batch isn’t this bad. If so, between this and the Mobley misprint, this could go down as THE most disappointing batch of RVGs, based on the level of anticipation and the letdown that followed.

Has anyone else listened to THE GIGOLO yet? I hope I just got a defective pressing or maybe it’s another reverse polarization thing, but this thing sounds like CRAP. Higgins’ drums are buried way back in the mix (hell, it sounds like it was mastered thru a transistor radio two rooms over), Mogie’s entrance on “Yes I Can, No You Can’t,” explosive on the McMaster, sounds like a mere “excuse me” on the RVG!

Man, I hope the rest of the batch isn’t this bad. If so, between this and the Mobley misprint, this could go down as THE most disappointing batch of RVGs, based on the level of anticipation and the letdown that followed.

what on earth ...

how can you possibly even do that on this record? that must have took some doing to pull it off. Higgins is the show here ... but to each his own I guess ... these RVGs will no doubt sound just spectacular dependent upon your individual system. :w

As I mentioned aboved, I thought the sound was an improvement when I compared the two.

I've only listened to this in the car and have no point of reference previously but it's the music that I was focusing on particularly the title track but what I liked is how they threw a standard in there and played it in a more conventional hard bop way. So, you get a great mixture of styles and playing.