Talking Heads individual remasters

Big Al

The first four Talking Heads albums are released today as DualDiscs, with a remastered version and bonus tracks on one side, and a 5.1 Surround Sound remix with videos on the other. Gonna be picking these up with gift certificates received over Christmas. Did anyone pick up the box from which these discs came? Can anyone comment on the sound, the 5.1 remix, the bonus stuff?

Wonder if BMG/yourmusic will be carrying these soon, if at all?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, those folks get into their music WAY more seriously than I ever could.

:lol:

Some of my favorite time wasters are threads that involve heated debates involving the remastering of things like Huey Lewis's Greatest Hits. There's at least one guy on there who seems to buy 4 different issues of a disc all at the same time just so he can try to find the best sounding copy (though often none of them satisfy.)

OK, enough of making fun of the place. It's a great place to visit. And it always makes me feel more grounded afterwards.

Man, those folks get into their music WAY more seriously than I ever could.

:lol:

Some of my favorite time wasters are threads that involve heated debates involving the remastering of things like Huey Lewis's Greatest Hits. There's at least one guy on there who seems to buy 4 different issues of a disc all at the same time just so he can try to find the best sounding copy (though often none of them satisfy.)

OK, enough of making fun of the place. It's a great place to visit. And it always makes me feel more grounded afterwards.

Geez, I still have the lps and there's no upgrade in my future. None at all.

and I was thinking this was a Jazz oriented forum......please keep the pop lovers at Steve Hofman's and let's discus real music here......

No offense Reinier, but there are a number of non-jazz music threads here. I hope that was a tongue-in-cheek comment!

And the Talking Heads are real music!!

Reinier - I'm curious, are you objecting to this thread because you don't care for the Talking Heads, or because they're not jazz?

If you look back at the last 30 or so days in the Misc-Music forum, there are threads on Jimi Hendrix, Elvis, Ray Charles, Snoop Dogg, Richard Thompson, Allman Brothers, Root Doctor, Cat Power/Al Green, Brian May, Kenny G, Grateful Dead, King Crimson, and Dylan. None of these are jazz. There are current threads on non-jazz artists in the other forums as well.

If you don't care for the Heads, that's cool. But we've never (as far as I know) limited discussion on this board to only jazz....

Reinier - I'm curious, are you objecting to this thread because you don't care for the Talking Heads, or because they're not jazz?

If you look back at the last 30 or so days in the Misc-Music forum, there are threads on Jimi Hendrix, Elvis, Ray Charles, Snoop Dogg, Richard Thompson, Allman Brothers, Root Doctor, Cat Power/Al Green, Brian May, Kenny G, Grateful Dead, King Crimson, and Dylan. None of these are jazz. There are current threads on non-jazz artists in the other forums as well.

If you don't care for the Heads, that's cool. But we've never (as far as I know) limited discussion on this board to only jazz....

Or he could just simply ignore the thread. Nothing keeps a thread alive quicker than someone posting inside it saying how much they dislike it!

Al, do you know if the remaster box (and therefore the follow-on individual discs) included the "Stop Making Sense" cd, or is it just the studio releases?

I picked up the SMS reissue of that a year or two ago, when it came out with the additional 7 tracks. Be curious to see what's included on that, if it's reissued again. I also like the '04 reissue of "The Name of this Band is Talking Heads" alot.

Al, do you know if the remaster box (and therefore the follow-on individual discs) included the "Stop Making Sense" cd, or is it just the studio releases?

It's just the studio albums.

Now, the DVD of SMS has a couple of 5.1 mixes, a studio one and a "film soundtrack" one, whatever that means. So, I guess that's one of the reasons why the SMS CD isn't part of this reissue campaign.

Reiner, I think Brandon's thumbs down was towards your idea of only jazz discussion!

I still have some of the vinyl and the early cds of most of the albums. I probably won't buy the box or the separate remasters, I don't listen to these that often at all anymore, but great music! (And man that Stop Making Sense tour was something to see!)

Picked up the Dual Disc rms of Reman in Light today. I had a chance to listen to some of the bonus tracks and they are really excellent works.

This is my first foray into Dualdisc, but I havent had a chance to really listen to the sound quality to see if it's really an upgrade on the old releases. So far as I can tell, they sound pretty good on their own merit.

The 2nd batch of remasters is coming out Feb 7th.

still, the most modern pop band ever

the music of 1983 was truly "the future", and since then, rock and pop has reverted backwards. nirvana, + that whole trip: nothing more than a time machine back to 60s style garage rock.

It's just the studio albums.

Now, the DVD of SMS has a couple of 5.1 mixes, a studio one and a "film soundtrack" one, whatever that means. So, I guess that's one of the reasons why the SMS CD isn't part of this reissue campaign.

And not ONE of those mixes on the DVD sounds right! I found I kept switching back and forth......some cuts were better with one or the other, but the old VHS sounds about as good or better........

Anyone have any luck playing the high-rez portion of these reissues on any of the Pionner multi-format players (563A or 588?). I've heard there are problems with Dual discs, thus haven't tried any of them as of yet.