Joe Morello

Jazz Kat

I'm studying Master Studies currently, and there is some fantastic licks in that book. Which is why I thought to make this topic. He was perfect in the 60's. His drumming was crisp, sharp, clean, and on time. He was a technical genious. I think he's lost his feel now though. He still has the chops, but he plays so loud and when he plays with a group, the drums are definately a showcase, because his drumming is so fireous. What do you think about his playing? Have you heard any of his recent solo albums?

I've heard good things about an LP he cut for RCA-Victor, but outside of Brubeck-Desmond haven't heard much. I always liked his playing on those records; Bru is kinda cloying for my tastes, but Desmond and Morello are often interesting together. If I'm not mistaken, there is at least one Desmond-Mulligan LP on Verve that has Morello on it; it's a nice West Coast pianoless quartet date that really opened my ears to Desmond, especially.

I've heard good things about an LP he cut for RCA-Victor

The album is "It's About Time", and it smokes!

RCA released a CD entitled "Joe Morello" back in 1989 that contains part of the LP, plus about half of a second album that was never released.

Morello also released a new CD in 1993 (Going Places, DMP) that's really good - a cooking quartet date with Ralph Lalama (sax), Greg Kogan (piano), Gary Mazzaroppi (bass). Worth looking for!

Some of my favorite Morello with Brubeck is the "Brubeck at Carnegie Hall" album.

Yes.

I like his work from the beginning on. . . haven't heard anything nineties forward.

My mom's copy of "Time Further Out" was a big reason I became a jazz fan eventually and also eventually a drummer.

I have some records he did with Marian McPartland for Regent or Savoy . . . . He was great before Brubeck but he really blossomed in that band. Amazingly musical player.

Edited by jazzbo

I have to admit I enjoyed Morello the most on two LPs from the early part of his career:

a Blue Note 10" from 1954 by Tal Farlow, where display a unique feel with brushes;

a rare Intro LP from 1957 titled Collections with no leader credited - it was an all-star date to take advantage of a Morello visit to California with Brubeck and featured Red Norvo, Art Pepper, Gerry Wiggins, Howard Roberts, and Ben Tucker; part of it can be found on the Art Pepper Omega Blue Notes and the Mosaic Select.

The more polished he played, the more I lost interest in him. It's a school in its own right - it just doesn't interest me as much. I had that RCA CD, but it didn't sustain my interest.

a rare Intro LP from 1957 titled Collections with no leader credited - it was an all-star date to take advantage of a Morello visit to California with Brubeck and featured Red Norvo, Art Pepper, Gerry Wiggins, Howard Roberts, and Ben Tucker; part of it can be found on the Art Pepper Omega Blue Notes and the Mosaic Select.

Brandon Burke has that LP, and has spoken very highly of it as well. I think he got it very, very cheap if I remember correctly!

• 2 years later...

I've heard good things about an LP he cut for RCA-Victor

The album is "It's About Time", and it smokes!

RCA released a CD entitled "Joe Morello" back in 1989 that contains part of the LP, plus about half of a second album that was never released.

That's a maddening CD that one . The following four tracks from the original It's About Time album were left off the CD , though they would have fit ! : Just In Time , Fatha Time , Time On My Hands , I Didn't Know What Time It Was . Strangely , these last two tracks aren't even in the Bruyninckx or Lord discographies . No mention in the CD liner notes about the missing tracks either .The topper is that the CD reissue producers saw fit to include one previously unissued track from the first album while chopping four previously issued others .The previously unissued second album with its typically bland Albam arrangements is something I could have comfortably lived without , and while that might also be true of those four left-off tracks , I'd like to make certain . Anyone oblige ?

I have a great album by him from the polyester era. I think it's on an audiophile label, and he does big band/jazz versions of today's hits.

I live for albums like this. They're so much better and more subversive than actual rock music from the period.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

• 10 years later...

I have this Vinyle-L.P..:'' Joe Morello ''a compilation produced by John Snyder by BlueBird9784.-

The strong drumming-style of Joe Morello hasn 't to be confused with Buddy Rich, or Bellson…!!.

The Joe 's-style is for small-combos(*Trio , 4t, or jam ..). To me, the drumming of Joe is ..far-away from  the Be-boppers..:Roach, Haynes, Elvin.. just to name few,. To me, Joe ,plays too much ..musically..!!, clean beats on the snare-drums,, taking out a beautiful ''drums-set-sound''. Similar to Joe, are drummers..: Mel Lewis, Shelly Manne, Jack Hanna,..and few Others,. Ciao fabio .,.-

-

O..K.. , O.K.. dear Mr. JSngry , I am sorry for having ..replyed.. to ''old'' threads listed on other Form-page like..: Artists..). I do know ''NOW'' to only post and follow the threads on this Forum - page of..''Offering , and looking for'' without, never  uploads Clips. The same rules, to follow the 'new' posts+threads in all the other Forum and reply, answer to them,.-

-

Fabio,

I'm fluent in Spanish and sometimes post on web sites relating to Spanish football.  Even though I'm fluent, I sometimes use Google Translate to double check what I'm saying. Before I post, I copy my post into Google Translate just to sure it makes sense and sounds right. 

To write an intere comment of a football game is surely much more complex then write a simple reply-answer made of few frases,. The Italian Grammar, and verbs are NOT so easy and simple to learn because of the ''Latin roots passed into the new Italian languge. The English verbs in compare, are easyer.,!!,.

-