what is TAMPA records

found the page on jazzdisco.org but it didnt tell any history-- was this the same people who ran pacific jazz? i have a lp on it by Bob Endvolsenen called Reflections- i noticed all the label is west coast jazz....but does anyone have more info?

found the page on jazzdisco.org but it didnt tell any history-- was this the same people who ran pacific jazz? i have a lp on it by Bob Endvolsenen called Reflections- i noticed all the label is west coast jazz....but does anyone have more info?

I think you mean Bob Enevoldsen...

Tampa and Pacific Jazz were two different labels, i.e. they were not run by the same people.

Tampa was one of a large number of labels owned by Robert Scherman. It started in 1955. At the end of 1958 Scherman acquired the Mode label and attached it to Tampa. The last Tampa album issued in 1958. After that Scherman started the Interlude label.

Sherman was one of the earliest independent record company owners on the West Coast. He had also owned the Atlas label, which started in 1944 under the name of Premier (which was also the name of a St Louis label, so had to be changed). He sold the label to someone called Sam Lutz in 1949.

Following that, Scherman started the Webster label, which only lasted about a year, from late 1949 to late 1950. He started Skylark records in 1951. That label seems to have closed shortly before Tampa opened for business.

So, from 1944 to the end of the fifties, Scherman consistently operated a string of record companies, almost all of which recorded Jazz and R&B, which seem to have been his main interests. However, he also recorded C&W and Pop music in amongst the Jazz & R&B.

MG

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg

Tampa was one of a large number of labels owned by Robert Scherman. It started in 1955. At the end of 1958 Scherman acquired the Mode label and attached it to Tampa. The last Tampa album issued in 1958. After that Scherman started the Interlude label.

Sherman was one of the earliest independent record company owners on the West Coast. He had also owned the Atlas label, which started in 1944 under the name of Premier (which was also the name of a St Louis label, so had to be changed). He sold the label to someone called Sam Lutz in 1949.

Following that, Scherman started the Webster label, which only lasted about a year, from late 1949 to late 1950. He started Skylark records in 1951. That label seems to have closed shortly before Tampa opened for business.

So, from 1944 to the end of the fifties, Scherman consistently operated a string of record companies, almost all of which recorded Jazz and R&B, which seem to have been his main interests. However, he also recorded C&W and Pop music in amongst the Jazz & R&B.

MG

One of Robert Scherman most important labels was Atlas (1944-1948). He is credited for recording Nat "King" Cole, Frankie Laine, Johnny Moore's 3 Blazers and Merle Travis before they became famous.

Interesting... I saw a number of VSOP CD's of Tampa material last week. Any recommendations on where to start with this label?

Personally, I like the albums Plas Johnson made:

Drum stuff - Tampa 18 (with George Jenkins)

Bop me daddy - Tampa 24

Drum magic - Tampa 29 (with George Jenkins)

T'ain't very hard bop stuff, however. Nor is it much like standard West Coast material. But it's enthusiastic all right. And Plas has made few jazz albums.

MG

Some of those Tampa albums had quite kitchy covers.

I loved the cover of the Jimmy Rowles LP 'Let's Get Acquainted With Jazz... For People Who Hate Jazz'.

A fine date with Pete Candoli, Harold Land, Barney Kessel and others. The cover boasted the recording was in Supersonic Sound. My mono copy probably does not do this justice!

• 9 years later...

Do the master tapes for any Tampa Records sessions exist, to anyone's knowledge?  

I have no concrete or up-to-date info but it seems like the tapes must have gone somewhere after the demise of Tampa.

A few Tampa LPs were reissued in the 70s/80s on a U.S. budget label (with pretty garish covers, BTW) called "AJ Records" (subtitle: Archives of Jazz) which still said "Supervised by Robert Scherman" on the record labels. So if ex-Tampa boss Robert Scherman had a hand in these later reissues he certainly did not work with needledrops.

Do the master tapes for any Tampa Records sessions exist, to anyone's knowledge?  

I have no concrete or up-to-date info but it seems like the tapes must have gone somewhere after the demise of Tampa.

A few Tampa LPs were reissued in the 70s/80s on a U.S. budget label (with pretty garish covers, BTW) called "AJ Records" (subtitle: Archives of Jazz) which still said "Supervised by Robert Scherman" on the record labels. So if ex-Tampa boss Robert Scherman had a hand in these later reissues he certainly did not work with needledrops.

Thanks.  You'd think some label might have hopped on these by now.  But then again...

• 2 months later...

When Tampa expanded, reissued the catalog in the pink label format, acquired the Mode masters, etc., Scherman was unable to pay his pressing bills. Under California law that property transferred ownership to the pressing plant, Alco Engineering. V.S.O.P. purchased the lot from Alco with the exception of RS 1000 (Tampa TP-20) The Art Pepper Quartet, that was acquired by Laurie Pepper. V.S.O.P. has issued most of what was acquired on vinyl (initially) and now, compact disc.

On 22/11/2015, 01:00:25, JamesAHarrod said:

V.S.O.P. has issued most of what was acquired on vinyl (initially) and now, compact disc.

That's what I assumed when I saw the question of who was reissuing this. I have many of them, among them the Marty Paich Quartet with Art Pepper.

Edited by Bluesnik
addition of info

• 1 month later...