Jazz Heritage Society

md655321

The Jazz Heritage Society looks like a jazz oriented BMG, but there intro offer is 7 cds for .99 but with no additional purchases necessary. Not sure how annoying there "selection of the month" stuff will be, but it looks like a nice deal.

http://www.jazzheritage.com/cgi-bin/jazz

Anyone else?

Edited by md655321

• 6 months later...

I am curious too. I was a member about 10 years ago and the product was crap [b&W bootleg looking covers, etc]. Has that changed?

I've been a member for several years, but I can't say I've bought very many CDs from them - of the ones I got when I joined, a lot of them did have the crappy-looking B&W inserts. They do have frequent sales with halfway-decent prices ($4.98 single CDs, $9.98 doubles) on selected titles. I just picked up the 2-disc complete Blue Note/Capitol Fats Navarro & Tadd Dameron set from them for $13 including shipping, and the packaging was identical to the retail version except for the "manufactured for..." note and barcode on the back, just like some BMG titles. On the whole, though, there aren't very many titles they offer that you can't get a better deal on elsewhere.

I was a member for several years. I almost quit many times, but then they would have one album I had never seen anywhere else and had to have--a Meade Lux Lewis one year, a Pete Johnson the next. Finally I did quit. I found the mailing in of the reply cards each month just one annoyance too many in my life.

Finally I did quit. I found the mailing in of the reply cards each month just one annoyance too many in my life.

I'd have bailed out of every CD club long ago if I still had to mail in reply cards. You can handle that via the web now (although in Jazz Heritage's case, if you wait until the new catalog's out before replying, you have to know to select "Previous Catalog" before the correct featured selection is visible).

I believe BMG offers an option now where you don't have to deal with any sort of reply cards, and they don't automatically send a selection every month.

• 4 years later...

Guy, because it's an OJC, I wouldn't be concerned. I'm not aware of OJC releases ever changing.

My experience with JHS a couple of years ago was that almost everything that I ordered was a CD that had been released/remastered almost ten years prior. It appeared to me that they dealt mostly in old stock.

Like everybody else here, it seems, I was a member for a while. I got hold of some old Gryphon stuff that wasn't available anywhere else (Together Again for the Very First Time with Buddy Rich and Mel Torme) and a few mid-60s, early-70s Mainstream cds that they had (by Maynard, the Terry/Brookmeyer Quintet, and Sarah Vaughan). Once I had exhausted that little cache, I quit too.

gregmo

There was a Benny Carter CD I never saw elsewhere and was damn glad I found through the Society membership. Cookin at Carlos, if I remember correctly, was the release that saw some distribution. But More Cookin, that one I only saw as a Jazz Heritage Society offering.

That the problem with JHS, Greg, they generally have a few items a first-time subscriber might want, but the closet is empty after that. I bet they have a revolving door membership.

Right, as usual, Chris. We few, we happy few, are so desperate for some of those cds we'll even put up with those aggravating monthly cards to get them!

gregmo

• 2 weeks later...

I just let Jazz Heritage auto-ship me two albums by Clark Terry, Clark Terry & His Orchestra Featuring Paul Gonzalves (Storyville, 1959) and Clark Terry & Ernie Wilkins Live At Montemartre (Storyville, 1975). The only other Clark Terry I have is Spanish Rice with Chico O'Farrill, so I welcome these additions. JHS is good for something like that a few times a year, for me. I just decline the automatic shipments via email most of the year until something turns up which will fill a gap in my collection.

This one with Paul Gonsalves is tasty!

Edited by Noj

Yes, their stock is mindblowingly repetitive, but I find my membership is worth my while. For instance, they have started carrying dozens of OOP Savoy titles; I got 3 Dizzys + 2 other free CDs for $27 a couple months back. Just this week they were running a sale with tons of $3 RVGs; I once got The Complete In A Silent Way Sessions for $14 and once cleaned up on a huge stack of 2xCD RVGs and 2xCD Miles Davis titles (all original packaging) for under $100 (they list for $30 damn dollars in the real world). Plus they sometimes carry OOP Blue Note & umbrella label titles. I only order a couple times a year, but I'm glad I have it.