Jon Jang

As a result of a recommendation in a different thread in this forum, i bought the Jon Jang cd, "Two Flowers on a Stem."

Boy was I disappointed!! Please somebody explain to me what I am missing! The cd was in many parts completely unlistenable. Just NOISE.

Maybe I am not listening correctly? Suggestions on how (if at all) this cd can be appreciated would be most welcome.

:):wacko::excited:

I saw your reply in the other thread but wanted to wait until I had listened to the album again before responding. First of all, what stuff do you usually listen to? Are you comfortable with Ornette? How about late-period Trane or the Art Ensemble, or Mingus? If some of these more adventurous styles don't appeal to you, you might want something a little more straight-ahead (say, Andrew Hill) to help you ease into music like Jang's.

That said, I don't really find this music to be all that "out" or unstructured--and my tastes aren't generally squarely in the avant-garde camp. Which places in particular are you having trouble with? Parts of "Meditations on Integration" can certainly get raucous but I can hear the melodies that Murray and Newton are playing off of one another--it isn't just skronking, at least to my ears.

My suggestion: with this album, don't try to focus on individual melodies or "solos" at first. Instead, try to absorb the textural/emotional changes that take place within each piece as a whole, listening to the whole band. In my opinion, Jang is carefully orchestrating what he wants out of each player; they're all just great enough to express themselves so freely inside what is actually a fairly tight framework.

What a shame Evan, I'm sorry you didn't like it. It's one of my all time favourites, a spine tingler from the off. I guess in the end one mans meat is anothers poison. But Big Wheel has it about right-you have to have a liking and a feeling for post bop but this one is pretty easy on the ear imo, strong melodies, plenty of colour. Again like Big Wheel my tastes are pretty wide so I'd say give it another try.

I saw your reply in the other thread but wanted to wait until I had listened to the album again before responding. First of all, what stuff do you usually listen to? Are you comfortable with Ornette? How about late-period Trane or the Art Ensemble, or Mingus? If some of these more adventurous styles don't appeal to you, you might want something a little more straight-ahead (say, Andrew Hill) to help you ease into music like Jang's.

That said, I don't really find this music to be all that "out" or unstructured--and my tastes aren't generally squarely in the avant-garde camp. Which places in particular are you having trouble with? Parts of "Meditations on Integration" can certainly get raucous but I can hear the melodies that Murray and Newton are playing off of one another--it isn't just skronking, at least to my ears.

My suggestion: with this album, don't try to focus on individual melodies or "solos" at first. Instead, try to absorb the textural/emotional changes that take place within each piece as a whole, listening to the whole band. In my opinion, Jang is carefully orchestrating what he wants out of each player; they're all just great enough to express themselves so freely inside what is actually a fairly tight framework.

Thanks for replying Big Wheel (I was beginning to get a complex waiting in the other thread!)

I really enjoy many different types of Jazz. Some of my favorites are Lee Morgan, Jimmy Smith, Brubeck, Miles, Gene Ammons, George Russell, Regina Carter, Gonzalo Rubalcaba, Chet, Sonny Rollins, Sonny Stitt, Curtis Counce, Sun RA (Except "Space is the Place" which is unlistenable), Mingus . . .I really can go on and on.

I have a pretty large (and always growing collection!)

I have Hill's point of departure which i enjoyed, and also Ornette's Tomorrow is the Question--also very good!

Jang's Cd Reminds me of some of Evan Parker's work.

I really want to try to appreciate this work,so i'll keep trying - thanks for your suggestions!

Evan

:D

What a shame Evan, I'm sorry you didn't like it. It's one of my all time favourites, a spine tingler from the off. I guess in the end one mans meat is anothers poison. But Big Wheel has it about right-you have to have a liking and a feeling for post bop but this one is pretty easy on the ear imo, strong melodies, plenty of colour. Again like Big Wheel my tastes are pretty wide so I'd say give it another try.

Perhaps a few Vodka Gimlets will help me appreciate this cd better?!<ggg>

:excited::excited: