a Betty Carter Mosaic set??

Just sent the following email off to Mosaic....

whaddya thinK? :):):):excited::tup

hey there..

How about the Complete Verve/Roulette/Capitol Recordings of Betty Carter. I know some of these titles are still in print and were released in the late 80s/early 90s but this is a compelling set for a few reasons....

1. She did not have a tremendous number of sessions (and this 6-8 CD set) would represent a major portion of her career.

2. She was (at the time) and still is a tremendously underrated rated musician.

3. Once these final existing Cd's disappear from record shelves no one is going to reissue them.

4. With the popularity of the jazz vocalist today (good and bad)... she represented the one of the last great "throwbacks" if you will.

5. It will do well with the hardcore (me) Mosaic fan base....

So please let me know if thats a good possibility.....

And any chance.... we'll get some a Select set of unreleased live Michel Petrucciani???

thanks

This would get larger than 6-8 CDs, for certain:

1 CD Peacock/ABC

1 and a half CD Atco, UA

3 CDs Roulette

then her self-produced for Bet-Car 3-4

and then all the Verve albums.

As great as her style was, all in one place would be too much of a good thing for me.

A Select of the Roulettes would be fine, however, IMO.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

My New Year's Resolution is to keep plugging this idea...

Clearly as evidenced by the Anthony Braxton set... the Mosaic powers that be... do pay attention to the desires of their loyal customers....

I will STILL go on record that her recordings would do well on a Mosaic set... I'd LOVE the complete Verve recordings.. but would settle for a Select of the Roulette + Bet+Car recordings....

Who's with me?.... :excited: :excited: :excited:

• 11 years later...

Trying to think of the last Mosaic set to feature a vocalist... Ella with Chick Webb? The Crosby?  They don’t seem too inclined to pursue such sets these days. (I’m not counting the previous and forthcoming Armstrong sets.) That said, yeah, I’d still be in for just about any kind of Betty Carter collection.

Edited by ghost of miles

2 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Trying to think of the last Mosaic set to feature a vocalist... Ella with Chick Webb? The Crosby?  They don’t seem too inclined to pursue such sets these days. (I’m not counting the previous and forthcoming Armstrong sets.) That said, yeah, I’d still be in for just about any kind of Betty Carter collection.

The last one was the Rosemary Clooney CBS Radio Sessions. The Ella set was before that. There have been sets devoted to Crosby, Sarah Vaughan, Mildred Bailey, Dinah Washington, Anita O'Day, Peggy Lee and June Christy, and the Four Freshmen, plus the Blues/R&B sets, so a number have been given over to vocalists.

gregmo

1 hour ago, gmonahan said:

The last one was the Rosemary Clooney CBS Radio Sessions. The Ella set was before that. There have been sets devoted to Crosby, Sarah Vaughan, Mildred Bailey, Dinah Washington, Anita O'Day, Peggy Lee and June Christy, and the Four Freshmen, plus the Blues/R&B sets, so a number have been given over to vocalists.

gregmo

The Blues/R&B sets were the ones by T-Bone Walker, Amos Milburn, Charles Brown and Otis Spann/Lightning Hopkins. Great sets, love them.

Edited by J.A.W.

1 hour ago, J.A.W. said:

The Blues/R&B sets were the ones by T-Bone Walker, Amos Milburn, Charles Brown and Otis Spann/Lightning Hopkins.

I missed out on all of these sets, but have collected Walker, Spann, and Hopkins on individual discs. Slightly off-topic (for a Betty Carter thread), but are there any recommendations for single disc overviews from Milburn and Brown? In other words, if you could only purchase one disc a piece from these two artists, what would you choose?

3 hours ago, gmonahan said:

gregmo

Right, that's why I said "these days."  I love some of those earlier vocalist sets (the O'Day and the Bailey in particular, and have all of the others mentioned).  It just seems that in recent years Mosaic's shied away from doing them at all, most likely for concern over how well (or not) they would sell.  I'd love some kind of Lee Wiley collection, for instance... but don't know what the market for a Lee Wiley Mosaic would be in 2020.

5 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

.  I'd love some kind of Lee Wiley collection, for instance... but don't know what the market for a Lee Wiley Mosaic would be in 2020.

They did do a Lee Wiley single--IIRC from 2 late period RCA releases that were very good.  But, yeah I'd go for a Lee Wiley Mosaic even though I suspect  I probably have everything  that would be  in it. 

31 minutes ago, Late said:

I missed out on all of these sets, but have collected Walker, Spann, and Hopkins on individual discs. Slightly off-topic (for a Betty Carter thread), but are there any recommendations for single disc overviews from Milburn and Brown? In other words, if you could only purchase one disc a piece from these two artists, what would you choose?

I might actually choose one of the cds he did after being "rediscovered" by Bonnie Raitt.  I saw him live in that period and he was great. 

Edited by medjuck

11 hours ago, Late said:

Just sent you a PM.

15 hours ago, Late said:

This would be my one disc recommendation for "classic" Charles Brown

41DVEmj%2BFhL.jpg

but there is also an excellent 5 disc JSP boxed set that should still be around

s-l225.jpg

Of his later, comeback period albums, I might recommend this one

R-6531535-1421373411-4753.jpeg.jpg

I think what makes sense is a Betty Carter box of the 1970-1982 BetCar/Roulette sessions.  The Verve sessions are all very easy to obtain, as are most if not all of her 50's-60's recordings.   And both the Verve sessions and the 50's-60's sessions  are different chapters than the BetCar sessions.  No need to run  up the size of the box at $17/disc, that limits the potential buyers.  I would be OK with including the excellent and hard to find "Inside Betty Carter", so the box could be something like "The 1964-1982 Betty Carter Small Group Recordings", though the 1970-1982 box would be more focused.   

Good suggestions. I love the Roulette material! I have those on US cds from the very earliest years of digital. I also used to have them in later a later European edition that condensed the three LPs onto two cds, but like the individual three disc scenario better. But a current Mosaic sonic upgrade, and the other material, would be great.