Is Freddie Hubbard's Columbia Material Available Anywhere?

DMP

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And what about "Skagly" ??????????

(Personal Admission Of Guilt: I bought this LP on day one.)

Personal Admission Of Guilt Pt. 2: I've always kinda dug it.

At this point, I just want to know what "Skagly" means. It's been 26 long years. I asked the homeys down the street and they just started laughing and told me to go the fuck away.

Skag=smack

Look at the cover photo and draw your own conclusions as to the rest. :g

What a trip. I could have figured that out from Google.

I thought it was some sexual reference.

I remember seeing Hubbard on that tour and he started yelling in the mike that "don't be gettin' the wrong idea, this music ain't what y'all think it's about" ...

... huh ????

Oh, it's a sexual reference all right. Ever known any female junkies who took to turning tricks to support their habbit?

Like I said, look at the cover photo.

So it's a junk ho? No wonder those brothers were laughin'. One of them just got out of the joint ... and he had some b workin' the street for him.

Actually my English friend says that's "skag" is more common than "smack" in England. "Skag" what they call it in the flick "Trainspotting".

Edited by johnagrandy

Whatever it means (and it looks like you all have cleared THAT up), it's pretty good - small group, straight-forward and funky, none of the elaborate trappings of "Liquid" or some of the CTI stuff. (Speaking of trappings and "Columbia" - where's Bobby Hutcherson's "Highway One?" More involved and "produced" than the Blue Notes, but very good. Columbia had a pretty good jazz roster in that period - Hubbard, Tyner, Hutcherson, Gordon...)

Freddie live (TV audience ?) in top form in 85 with the VSOP band. No chop problems here !

http://www.youtube.com/w/Cantelope-Island?...ie%20hubbard%22

Imagine dissing Hub for Wynton. I wonder if that was Herbie behind it. Apparently Freddie was strung out, but who can tell from his playing on this night.

Oh, maybe it's not the VSOP band because Joe's on tenor. Anyone know about this clip?

Edited by johnagrandy

• 1 month later...

And what about "Skagly" ??????????

(Personal Admission Of Guilt: I bought this LP on day one.)

Personal Admission Of Guilt Pt. 2: I've always kinda dug it.

Personal admission of guilt #3: I have never seen or heard of this one!

Personal Admission Of Guilt Pt. 4: Snagged a clean copy of this over the weekend for a dollar. Not to damn it with faint praise, but it is no worse than the "2nd tier" CTI records, with the added bonus of no strings or orchestra. I liked it!

• 1 month later...
Guest akanalog

just got liquid love and high energy for cheap.

high energy blew me away-the kind of stuff i like for sure.

liquid love i also liked more than you fellas seem to on first listen.

i like hearing those guys like franklin and burnett in this kind of setting.

i would certainly rather hear this kind of stuff than the CTI stuff (endless repetitve competent blowing-straight life? blech)

i almost bought the bundle of joy one but was low on moneys. that one seems lamer, though azar lawrence is on it which intrigued me (i like people movin' or whatever it is called...)

Guest akanalog

the long track at the end of side 1 of liquid love is great.

george cables really takes the listener on a trip through the world of electric keyboards.

anyone who sees this album as commercial pfeff is missing on some great (for it's time) music.

• 2 years later...

Got to hear The Love Connection the other day. I had long ignored this album just because of the cover,

FreddieHubbard_LoveConnectio.jpg

never turned it over to see that it was a collaboration Claus Ogerman.

Not bad at all, a lot meatier than I would have expected, with top-shelf writing from Ogerman and some dandy extended, substance-heavy soloing (on synth, mostly, so beware :rolleyes: ) from Chick Corea, and, best of all, a lot of serious playing from Hubbard.

In Teh Grand Scheme Of Things, not exactly An Album Of Major Import, but otherthan that, not at all bad, and a helluva lot better, in every way, that I was expecting.

Whatever it means (and it looks like you all have cleared THAT up), it's pretty good - small group, straight-forward and funky, none of the elaborate trappings of "Liquid" or some of the CTI stuff. (Speaking of trappings and "Columbia" - where's Bobby Hutcherson's "Highway One?" More involved and "produced" than the Blue Notes, but very good. Columbia had a pretty good jazz roster in that period - Hubbard, Tyner, Hutcherson, Gordon...)

Don't think I have heard any of these Hubbard's but I do have a nice copy of Highway One and I like it. Not nearly as crazy about Conception though.

• 5 months later...

A dustygroove waffling review fragment for High Energy: "a core quintet that also features excellent reeds from Junior Cook -- possibly one of his strongest (and only) appearances on an electric date like this."

Possibly one of the strongest of his only appearance on an electric date? It's scary so far out there on a limb.