RIP Wilson Pickett

trane_fanatic

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/enter...ic/13664614.htm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Associated Press

RESTON, Va. - Wilson Pickett, the soul pioneer best known for the fiery hits "Mustang Sally" and "In The Midnight Hour," died of a heart attack Thursday, according to his management company. He was 64.

Chris Tuthill of the management company Talent Source said Pickett had been suffering from health problems for the past year.

A member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Pickett - known as the "Wicked Pickett" - became a star with his soulful hits in the 1960s.

That's really sad. He was Life!

Saw him twice in his glory days. First time was in New York in the '60s when he headed a concert that also included Moondog and Archie Shepp!

Pickett had me dancing in the aisles while I was taking photos. That takes a man with a Big Soul!

I was actually in a classroom when I heard... the lecturer had opened up some random news page, had the tragic headline at the bottom. Everyone seemed to be trying to fix the text size on the screen--I was about to shout, I was. That's the youth set, for you: we've got no history. Oh well--here's to the eternal sound and those privileged ears who hear it (and feel it). RIP, WP.

Wilson Pickett, Archie Shepp and Moondog on the same bill? Amazing!

Bertrand.

Archie Shepp had his glorious band with Howard Johnson on tuba and Jimmy Garrison that night.

Jeremy Steig and the Satyrs and also Burton Green were also on the bill. That took place at the Village Theater in the East Village before they renamed the place the Fillmore East.

And yes, King Ubu! I was years younger and the Pickett was Wicked :excited:

Fav Wicked Picett stories:

1) Jerry Wexler getting down at Stax studio and doing the jerk to illustrate where he felt the groove should be, I'd love to have seen the look on Pickett's and the session guy's faces.

2) Supposedly he'd let out one of those blood curdling screams just to clear his throat first thing in the morning.

3) Pickett not wanting to even get off the plane in Muscle Schoals after he looked out the window and saw 'his people' picking cotton, I'm sure the appearance of the session guys there probably didn't reassure him much but he decided they were O tay after he heard 'em play.

4) Not wanting to record "Hey Jude" 'cause he thought it was "Hey Jew"! "Man, I can't say that with Mr. Wexler standing right there"

I think Pickett was the only singer to record with as many of the great session bands of his time: Stax, Muscle Schoals, America (the Dusty in Memphis band), the MS/American hybred band Wexler cherry picked for sessions by Pickett and Aretha and v. few others, and Sigma sound/Philly International. Rhino did a 2 CD set awhile back that pretty much covers it...

Damn, makes me wanta scream myself!