What's the verse that can happen?

Free For All

Ah, yes from my favourite "Moon" album, I forgot about that one. Mel is one of my favourite male singers still. Beautiful indeed!

Here "the Man I Love". I had a bit of trouble with the lyrics of this song since the attitude is so ... well the "helpless woman-attitude", but I managed to sing it anyway, lol. I like this rendition from the movie "The young Indiana Jones and the Scandal of 1920", The voice you hear is Linda Ronstadt.

According to the "greatamericansongbook.net" the refrain of this song was first the verse of an uncompleted song; but since they felt it was of such insistent quality the brothers Gershwin decided that it couldn't be "just" an introduction of the song. They converted it to be a refrain and they composed a new verse to the song as it is now. See here: http://greatamericansongbook.net/pages/songs/m/man_i_love.html

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We learned in graduate school that many of the conventions of the American Popular Song came from operetta, which is what American musical theater evolved from.

In many of the above examples, the verse's cadence on the dominant of the key of the main song, and are usually followed by an acapella pickup melody.

Our Love is Here To Stay is another commonly sung one:

The more I read the papers / The less I comprehend / The world with all its capers etc...

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/11/2017 at 5:35 PM, sgcim said:

Our Love is Here To Stay is another commonly sung one:

The more I read the papers / The less I comprehend / The world with all its capers etc...

One of the most beautiful verses of all. The song was put together from memory by Oscar Levant after its composer, George Gershwin, suddenly died. The verse suggests that Ira Gershwin's lyrics, written after his brother's death, are also about Ira's relationship with George:

The more I read the papers
The less I comprehend
The world with all it's capers
And how the thing will end.
Nothing seems to be lasting.
But that isn't our affair;
We've got something permanent,
I mean in the way we care