"Dizzy on the french riviera" (July 1962)

birdanddizzy

The last CD pressing was in 1990... (now, we could add this one to the "ebay crazyness items"...)

The "New Wave" (NY, may 1962) was reissued many months ago, so when will they reissue "Dizzy on the french riviera" ???

Is it because that's a french recording ?

It is scheduled to be included in an upcoming Mosaic set. Actually, only part of it was recorded in France. Several of the tracks were cut in New York at the same sessions which produced "New Wave."

'Dizzy On the French Riviera' was recommended to me in '69 by the cat holding the Friday nite jazz show on WRIU-FM (Univ. of Rhode Island). 'Boston' Al Samiljan -- wherever you are -- thanks for hipping me: "Kid, this is the best all-round jazz album, in my opinion." (I was 16, a high school volunteer.)

After 'Boston Al' the reigning Friday jazz DJ was John Zoglio, who began each show with Bunky Green's version of 'Hoe Down'. In '71 I finally got the coveted slot and gave 'Riviera' many an on-air spin. Who knows, we might've moved a couple units in sales at Beacon Records or Carl's Diggins House of Jazz, both in Providence and one block apart.

Yes, the CD came and went real fast in '88 or '89, a Polydor West German (Hanover) pressing, I think.