Where are all these TOCJs coming from?

chuckyd4

So on my last couple trips to major chain stores (FNAC and Virgin), browsing through the racks, I noticed a huge number of rare/domestically-OOP Blue Notes with some kind of Japanese marketing sticker on the front. Not being much of an audiophile, and not being particularly super-wealthy, I've never been the kind of guy that can justify spending loads of money on Japanese issues of good albums. I'd like to, just usually don't feel like I can afford it. Which is to say, I'm not really familiar with all the different reissue series around the world, but TOCJ seems to ring a bell as being a good thing, and that is what all these Blue Notes have written on the spine by the index number.

Anyway, the cool part about all of this is that they are mostly all on sale for around 15 Euros (which is around what they charge for normal CDs, which yes is expensive), and some of these I've never seen in person, just read about (I don't visit the import section much for above-stated reasons). In any case, I am currently enjoying Louis Smith's Smithville, and will be moving on next to Here Comes Louis Smith. I'd always heard good things about these underrated albums, and so far they are right. Charlie Rouse is absolutely killing on this session. Smith is a total, pleasant surprise - straight out of the Brownie school, totally early-Lee Morgan-era BN stuff. Plus a rhythm section of Sonny Clark, Paul Chambers and Art Taylor on this one. Dig it.

So I was just wondering if we just got really lucky out of the blue here in Paris or if this is happening stateside as well? Like is Tower suddenly stocking copious amounts of reasonably priced TOCJ's? I hope this is a long-term thing, and not some kind of freak accident. But just in case, next time I get paid, I'm gonna go spend an afternoon in Virgin or FNAC grabbing everything I can. Speaking of which, anyone ever heard Donald Byrd's Byrd in Flight? Amazing lineup, I was on the verge of buying it, but already had the two Smith's, as well as Notorious BIG's Ready to Die and Bebel Gilberto's latest (both on sale for 8 euros) in hand.

I saw these Japanese BN reissues (also several Prestige at the same price). They look like the real thing.

Bet the prices dropped because they have been reissued so often!

Wish they had been available at those prices when I was looking for several of them!

Guy,

Are these Blue Notes the older "Blue Note Works" TOCJs or the recent 24-bit remastered TOCJ reissues?

I'm seeing reissues in the new 24-bit TOCJ 6XXX series available more often here in the US too. Not in stores so much (I live in a smaller town) but online at places such as Amazon. For example, Baby Face Willette "Stop and Listen" and "Face to Face" are both available through Amazon Marketplace sellers for less than $16.

I'll bet these are what chuckyd4 is seeing.

I think this is a great sounding series and I am mildly surprised it didn't make a bigger splash with Organissimo board members. Probably related to "reissue fatigue".

I like the JRVG series, but I think the 24-bit TOCJs sound better overall.

Which TOCJ series are you talking about, the older "Blue Note Works" CDs (TOCJ-15XX, 16XX, 4XXX), the later 24-bit remasters (TOCJ-6XXX), or the JRVGs (TOCJ-9XXX)?

Apparently, based on the information you just gave, these are indeed the 24-bit remasters. For instance, my Here Comes Louis Smith is labeled as "TOCJ-6594".

I am far from being an audiophile (hell, I like the domestic RVGs just fine), but these sound great to my ears.

Which TOCJ series are you talking about, the older "Blue Note Works" CDs (TOCJ-15XX, 16XX, 4XXX), the later 24-bit remasters (TOCJ-6XXX), or the JRVGs (TOCJ-9XXX)?

Apparently, based on the information you just gave, these are indeed the 24-bit remasters. For instance, my Here Comes Louis Smith is labeled as "TOCJ-6594".

I am far from being an audiophile (hell, I like the domestic RVGs just fine), but these sound great to my ears.

This 24-bit remastered TOCJ-6XXX series is quite recent and, as far as I know, generally available.

In the golden age of Tower records, they used to have tons of TOCJs, including many titles not available in the U.S. at the time. Depending on the yen, the prices would fluctaute dramatically. Tower also used to have the clearance sales, which sometimes would be up to 30% off. So, I would be able to get TOCJs for $14-$15, like Stylings Of Silver, the two Thad Jones not available in the U.S., Tyrone Washington etc. etc.

I miss those days.

Bertrand.

If anyone's collecting these ones, a fair number of the TOCJ-6XXX series titles (Cool Struttin', Demon's Dance, Moanin', Blue Train, Somethin' Else, etc...) are now available at HMV Japan for $10 a pop. That's not bad.

And I'm still selling some of them for even less...

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

• 2 months later...

Picked up some of these recently, and just wanted to give a positive recommendation to a few of them:

• TOCJ 6516 - Dizzy Reece: Star Bright

The best-sounding edition of this album I've heard — though I haven't heard the Mosaic Select.

• TOCJ 6683 - McCoy Tyner: Tender Moments

One of my favorite McCoy's. I unloaded the McMaster and RVG after hearing this one.

• TOCJ 6657 - Freddie Hubbard: Blue Spirits

This edition doesn't have the two bonus tracks, which is a shame, but the upside is that the bass is very listenable. Also, for the first time, I can distinguish some of Big Black's softer (and lower-pitched) conga strikes.

• TOCJ 6646 - Joe Henderson: Our Thing

Very life-like to my ears, and with a good dynamic spread. Sadly, the alternate take of "Teeter Totter" is not included. If you like this album to begin with (some of my favorite Henderson solos are here), I'd say it's easily worth the 1500¥. I feel like I can finally stop "the search" for the "best" (*) sound (at least on compact disc) for this one.

* all the usual disclaimers apply ...