2004 Blue Note calender

Great news! Never understood why they skipped 2003.

Blue Note was unable to find a publisher who was interested in making a quality blue note calendar at a reasonable price. Copies of the 2002 calendar languished on stores' shelves for months after the new year. My guess is that this is not a very profitable endeavor, hence the lack of interest. I seem to remember Tom asking members of the BNBB if they knew of a company that might be interested in the project. Did anyone reply to him? :w

Anywho, this is great news about 2004. Here's a peak at the cover:

0789309165.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Edited by jazzshrink

For those that are interested, we are now accepting submissions for the 2004 "Men of the Organissimo Forums" swimsuit calender. All entries must be postmarked by August 31st for consideration.

I have a feeling these might linger on the shelves a wee bit longer ...

I suspect Michael Cuscuna and not Tom may be the person with the story of the missing calendar. The photos are from Mosaic Images and they are Wolff photos and do not duplicate the album covers. There have not been any BlueNote logos,nor have trademarks been listed on these Universe calendars. Universe/Rizzoli published the photo books as well. Though EMI has a substantial interest in Mosaic(1/2?),the Image part of the company may be seperate from the music part of the business structure. BTW,from my experience in the book retail business,calendars are one of the highest markup items in a bookstore. When a store marks down their calendars half-price after the new year they are still making a pretty nice margin. 75% off?-still profitable and remember all of the ones they sell at Christmas at full list. Printing up one of these is like a license to print money. Mac

For those that are interested, we are now accepting submissions for the 2004 "Men of the Organissimo Forums" swimsuit calender. All entries must be postmarked by August 31st for consideration.

You should have considered a Boogaloo Sisters Swimsuit Calendar first ..... :w

Anywho, this is great news about 2004. Here's a peak at the cover:

0789309165.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

So how the hell is it that they can put Sam Rivers on the cover of a mainstream product, like a jazz calendar...

...but they can't friggin' put out "Fuschia Swing Song" as an RVG????

( And it took 'em how many years just to even get any Sam Rivers back in print in the U.S.??? )

:wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

I woulda put out "Fuschia..." as an RVG this year, and then "Contours" as a Conn sometime in the next year or two. IMHO, "Fuschia..." deserves to be in the "mainstream" part of the BN catalog as much or probably more than Tony Williams "Life Time" (which is an RVG), and at least as much as Wayne's "All Seeing Eye" (which is also an RVG).

:rmad::rmad::rmad:

The calendar looks great, I picked one up today. It also includes Freddie Hubbard, Baby Face Willette, Horace Silver, Sam Rivers, McCoy Tyner, (Grant Green, Mobley & Wynton Kelly), Ron Carter, Grachan Moncur, Sam Jones, Lou Donaldson, Hank Mobley and Blue Mitchell/Chick Corea.

Mark :g

• 1 month later...

I hope it's easier to find in the UK than the 2002 edition.

John - it looks like it should be easier to find this year

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...7019187-6831062

I'll join you in the queue

Thanks for that Gary, nice one. After my holiday now though,

Edited by JohnS

BTW,from my experience in the book retail business,calendars are one of the highest markup items in a bookstore. When a store marks down their calendars half-price after the new year they are still making a pretty nice margin. 75% off?-still profitable and remember all of the ones they sell at Christmas at full list. Printing up one of these is like a license to print money. Mac

Are you sure? I find it hard to believe that stores are getting any product at less than 25% of list. And if this is true, it certainly isn't a "license to print money" for the publishers and distributors!

• 4 weeks later...