Gone.... Eddie Condon

I went the Collectables way for this one (4 discs in all) plus ordered disc 4 of the Mosaic set (free booklet and box!). With these, I have about 70% of the Mosaic, which is a good chunk of the music.

The Condon Mob set is still available - don't miss it! :)

The J.J. Johnson set is still in the "Running low" category.

And has been for half a year now. It's incredible that it hasn't already sold out, let alone moved into the "Last Chance" category.

Well at least no one can complain it disappeared too quickly! This death by a thousand cuts is much better for collectors on a budget planning what and when to spend than the sudden vanishing act of the Morgan/Shorter, Kelly/Chambers and Stuff Smith sets.

I sometimes let Mosaics go to "running low" or "last chance" before I pull the trigger. The Condon Mob set has been out for awhile and will, I'd think, be moving to at least "running low" status within the next few months. That would force my hand. LAL, you said "don't miss it". Help me out with this. Isn't Condon, for all intents and purposes, just trad jazz or, horror of horrors, Dixieland music? If I'm missing the boat on this one, I'd like to be corrected before it goes dark. Thanks.

Up over and out.

Lots of good music on this set. Bobby Hackett producing some of the most beautiful sounds you'll ever hear coming from a trumpet.

I think trad/Chicago style jazz really suffers from the perception of candy striped vests and crackers playing 1890s rags in a Disney World parking lot. Condon and colleagues are authentic. If you get beyond the PERCEPTION, there's some real, honest, hard-swinging jazz in this idiom, and in this set.

The Condon set would not be the first step I'd take into this area, however. There are lots of single CDs that would be better starts.

Edited by montg

Dave

I guess my "don't miss it" comment was directed at the trad-jazz fans in general. Condon's groups always featured some of the best musicians and the music has plenty of improvisation - certainly not the "Dixieland" played by banjo bands/chaps in straw hats you have in mind. Still, if you're not into the music, then the set is probably not for you. Not sure when it will hit running low, but probably not this year.

I sometimes let Mosaics go to "running low" or "last chance" before I pull the trigger. The Condon Mob set has been out for awhile and will, I'd think, be moving to at least "running low" status within the next few months. That would force my hand. LAL, you said "don't miss it". Help me out with this. Isn't Condon, for all intents and purposes, just trad jazz or, horror of horrors, Dixieland music? If I'm missing the boat on this one, I'd like to be corrected before it goes dark. Thanks.

Up over and out.

I prefer his CBS recordings with his all stars over the classic Columbia MOB Sessions.

I have both boxes (and actually had most of the material on vinyl for years). The MOB box is really a collecton of sessions by varying leaders covering a period from 1940 until the mid 50s and in many cases linking the session's with Condon is really a marketing ploy on Mosaic's part. i.e there was NO marketing link with Condon when the Jimmy Dorsey "Dixie By Dorsey" came out, although Cutty Cuthsall and Dick Cary were close associates of Condon. Likewise the "Billy Plays Bix" lp and I'm sure the others. The result is that the Condon All Stars box has a unity of approach and a continuity that the Mob Box doesn't.

However....The session that opens the Mob Box (Bud Freeman -with Eddie on guitar) is an essential date. There is some primo Jack Teagarden and Pee Wee Russell on these and they are just great. I've had this on 10" lp, several times on 12" and the sound here is by far the best I've heard and again...this is a great session.

There's a lot to enjoy on both boxes, but when listening to the Mob Box it might be better to take each session as an individual recording, independant of the session preceeding it and following it, both as leader and as to when it was recorded.

I had to have both boxes...but that's me.

Edited by Harold_Z

Killer trombone player! First discovered him on a great Matty Matlock album on Tops, and later on the Rampart Street Paraders albums (which are included on the Condon Mob set). Bobby Hackett's "Coast Concert" features Abe and Jack Teagarden side by side, and it smokes!

I think I have that album. Do they do "Jazz Me Blues". "Shimmeshawabble", Blues My Naughtie Sweetie" etc ?

It's GREAT !

Also some of the Warner Bros Matty stuff has Abe Lincoln along with Moe Schneider. Kinda like a West coast Lawson Haggart, Bobcats deal. GREAT !

montg--------Thanks for the link to the Abe Lincoln discography etc. I've been a fan of his for about 50 years now, and just now, thanks to you, discovering that he was playing since before I was born. He's another of those favored few musicians who are clearly identifiable after only a few notes. (Like Louis,Hackett, Wild Bill,Goodman,etc)

Once again, thanks.

montg--------Thanks for the link to the Abe Lincoln discography etc. I've been a fan of his for about 50 years now, and just now, thanks to you, discovering that he was playing since before I was born. He's another of those favored few musicians who are clearly identifiable after only a few notes. (Like Louis,Hackett, Wild Bill,Goodman,etc)

Once again, thanks.

:tup