Help me pick more Mosaic sets for my order

Hello everyone, I am about to order the Paul Chambers Select set from Mosaic and to get better value on my shipping cost I have decided to get either another 2 or 3 selects sets or one of the bigger regualar sets. My tastes run along the Chambers type vibe of bop. Any recomendations are appreciated!!

THX

Edited by cool_blue

Go for the Jazztet Mosaic Box. I already had a good part of this set (except 3 albums) and I even decided to pick it up. Fantastic hard bop : you can't go wrong with Farmer, Golson (superb compositions) , Fuller, Tyner, Flanagan, Moncur, Kelly and ... Chambers. They are all there :tup:tup

If you're considering the bigger sets, and you like Chambers/Blue Note stuff, then I'd recommend the Mobley. It may be the most consistently excellent Mosaic that I own (and that's saying a lot because they're all great). Among the Selects, I really enjoy the Pepper set.

The Jazztet is a great set. You might also consider the Mobley set (which is an older one and likely to go OOP before the Jazztet set), or even better yet the J.J. Johnson set, which has been in the "Running Low" category for about 6 months now and will probably be the next set to go OOP. If you're planning to get more sets in the future (and who isn't?), the Johnson set is probably the best one to get right now.

Give or take, you can probably get 3-4 Selects for the price of one full-size Mosaic. That's one consideration. The other consideration for me would be availability. With that as a criteria, and if the J.J. Johnson box is still in play, I'd have a hard time not going in that direction. It's superb. Selects are going to be around for awhile. The Johnson won't be.

Up over and out.

Two other considerations. Select prices go up about $5 a pop starting July 1st.

And the Mobley set will surely be one of the next sets to go OOP. (FYI, it's the oldest Mosaic set of Blue Note material currently still available, I'm pretty sure.)

I don't have one yet (the Mobley), but am planning to get one before the Selects go up in price -- since I'll be picking up a couple of them too at the same time. I predict the Mobley set won't last through all of 2006. Heck, it could go on "Running Low" or even "Last Chance" status any minute now, for all we know. (And yes, sets have occasionally gone straight to "Last Chance" status before, without ever having been "Running Low".)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Like Byrd/Adams just a few months ago, and then it was gone in a flash.

Got my Byrd/Adams only two or three days before it was too late. Whew!!

I'm sure I'll be pulling the trigger on the Mobley mighty damn quick after I get the word that its days are numbered (or before July 1st - whichever comes first).

Give or take, you can probably get 3-4 Selects for the price of one full-size Mosaic. That's one consideration. The other consideration for me would be availability. With that as a criteria, and if the J.J. Johnson box is still in play, I'd have a hard time not going in that direction. It's superb. Selects are going to be around for awhile. The Johnson won't be.

Up over and out.

Dave is right regarding the availability.

Well, if you want to continue with the JJ theme, there are the 2 "Eminent" volumes--excellent music and phenomenal "side" men, including Clifford Brown, Hank Mobley, the Heath brothers, John Lewis, Wynton Kelly, Horace Silver, Paul Chambers, Charles Mingus, and Kenny Clarke.

Also from the same era as the JJ set, there are the 2 great live Art Blakey dates (each consisting of 2 separate volumes), "A Night At Birdland" and "At the Cafe Bohemia". There are plenty of other suggestions, and I'm sure you'll hear them here, but these Blakey titles and the Eminent JJ volumes are cornerstones of '50's Hard Bop, and you should get them soon if you don't already have them.