"Swingin' The Loop" (Argo)

Son-of-a-Weizen

You're talking about the Vito Price disc, right?

It's one of those topics that perished in the Great Blue Note Purge of 2003.

Nice swing record, made when Basie was gging in Chicago, with Freddie Green and some other cats from the Basie orchestra, not anything essential, imo. Mine is the Fresh Sound issue, I believe it recently came out in the mini-lp incarnation.

Sound's all right.

I agree with Dmitry's assessment--it's a fine swing session but nothing essential. I do, however, have a soft spot for the record because I'm originally from Chicago and the album title and cover art is a hoot. Vito in a trench coat and cap blowing his tenor in the middle of the street (can't tell which street exactly...don't think it's Michigan Ave, but it might be State, Clark, or Randolph). Even shows one of the old green & cream colored CTA buses of my youth....

Speaking of "Chicago" album covers, another fave is the old Argo release THE DANGEROUS DAN EXPRESS by The Three Souls. Has a picture of the trio pulled over to the side of the Dan Ryan expressway standing behind their car. Sonny Cox is blowing his alto, Robert Shy is holding his drum sticks, and organist Ken Price is holding sheet music (guess it would have been silly for him to be sitting behind his B-3...)