DeJohnette/Scofield/Goldings Trio Beyond

7/4

Trio Beyond (DeJohnette, Scofield, Goldings) - Sausades (click to buy)

7107666.jpg

I posted this in a Scofield thrread, then realised I should just start a new tread here.

From the ECM site:

DeJohnette/Scofield/Goldings Trio Beyond

A joyful salute from one great drummer to another, as Jack DeJohnette pays tribute to the life, work and memory of Tony Williams, the man he replaced, in 1969, in the Miles Davis group. Repertoire played by the trio of DeJohnette, Scofield and Goldings includes compositions by John Coltrane, Joe Henderson, Larry Young and John McLaughlin, as well as Williams himself. These pieces were all stepping stones in Williams' musical development during his tenure with Miles and afterwards, and the drums-organ-guitar line-up of the band heard here – in a tempestuous live recording from London – echoes that of the seminally important Tony Williams Lifetime.

ECM 1972/73 Release date: June 9th.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The DeJohnette/Scofield/Goldings trio played London's Queen Elizabeth Hall at the Royal Festival Hall on 21 November 2004, according to this source. I don't believe this group toured Europe in 2005, so I believe this is the show.

I've known this was coming for a while (posted about it in the Sco thread a long time ago), but am glad to see that this is going to be apparently be a whole show, as opposed to selections.

Nice! I saw this band at Yoshi's in February of 2004, and they were spectacular. And that's coming from someone who hasn't been too thrilled by Scofield's leader dates for a long time. He sounded amazing in this setting, as did DeJohnette (go figure). Not only do I think Larry Goldings is a genius on the organ, but he definitely has long struck me as the guy best carrying on and extending the approach to the organ that Larry Young more or less invented, so this project is particularly appropriate for him. Can't wait for the record, and I'm glad the group's been documented.

nathan

Not only do I think Larry Goldings is a genius on the organ, but he definitely has long struck me as the guy best carrying on and extending the approach to the organ that Larry Young more or less invented...

Well then. Comparisons to Larry Young, and my ears will certainly perk up!! :huh: And I guess it ought to be clear to me that I need to get to know about this Larry Goldings guy more.

Several years ago I ran across a used copy of his "Big Stuff" date (Warner Bros., 1996), and I bought it, and later traded it off. (Or it was a promo somebody gave me, I forget.) Either way, I remember it being a nice enough date, but certainly not anything that had me begging to hear more.

But I guess this guy has maybe come a long way since 1996.

What have I been missing?? What should I get??

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I like Larry Goldings - a lot! - but he doesn't make me think of Larry Young in his playing very often. Young was often very visceral, and Goldings seems more cerebral to me (for lack of a better word), very controlled and precise. Very much a case of different music for different times. I'm thinking mostly of his work with the trio (w/Stewart and Bernstein), and that album he did with Brecker and Metheny.

All of his albums are uniformly good, Tom. A favorite of mine, though, is Earthtones (iirc), with Peter Bernstein as the leader.

Nice! I saw this band at Yoshi's in February of 2004, and they were spectacular. And that's coming from someone who hasn't been too thrilled by Scofield's leader dates for a long time. He sounded amazing in this setting, as did DeJohnette (go figure). Not only do I think Larry Goldings is a genius on the organ, but he definitely has long struck me as the guy best carrying on and extending the approach to the organ that Larry Young more or less invented, so this project is particularly appropriate for him. Can't wait for the record, and I'm glad the group's been documented.

nathan

I was at that show, too. Nice to know that they recorded something.