DeJohnette/Scofield/Goldings Trio Beyond

7/4

I picked this up and so far I really am enjoying it.

I have expressed some annoyance on this board at how everyone seems to adopted Scofield's tone - and yes there are other guitar tones I prefer - but I am more annoyed at the imitators than at Sco himself. He plays great on this cd.

Whatever you may think of any of the players - the band is really HOT on this recording.

Thanks to everyone on this thread for pulling my coat on this one.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree skeith. You hear Jack's solo on "Spectrum"? I can't get thru that without hitting the search button to hear parts of it over and over. It may be the best DeJohnette solo I've ever heard, that is saying a lot. The music is so good the discs feel a lot shorter than 50+ mins each.

Missed baltostar's post the first time, but this caught my eye:

Larry Goldings lays down a wonderful bed of nearly legit organ...

Nearly legit organ? What does that mean?

"Excuse me sir, do you have a permit for that organ?"

"Why yes, it's right here."

"Do you realize this permit is expired?"

"Yeah, but it expired yesterday. This organ is nearly legit."

:lol:

This just arrived yesterday, and I'm on my first spin. VERY nice! I can understand that those who don't care for Sco aren't going to get into this, but I think it's a great performance, and a great recording. And it doesn't seem like something that would typically come out on ECM to me, either (except for maybe the clarity in the recording).

A worthy tribute to Lifetime! :tup

Goldings does some freaky slides with these odd pitch changes, his B-3 must be running thru midi on this album or something.

On Spectrum? It might be pitch bend or a Digitech Wammy pedal. Doesn't he endorse a Korg B3 emulation? The CX3?

I think Goldings plays the real deal, the picture of their gig earlier in the thread shows a B-3 on stage. I enjoy the music so much, and the tunes are all pretty long, but each disc clocking in at 55 and 56 mins and change respectively, seems to go by in like a half an hour! If this is a whole gig, that's great tho. The more I listen I forget this is a Lifetime "tribute" because these guys are doing their own thing.

I pre-ordered this but might cancel. Until I heard the clips, I forgot how much I truely hate Sco's playing and sound. Jack D. and Larry G. are such a dream team...wish almost anyone else was the third in the trio besided Sco.

Why not McLaughlin himself? Contractual reasons? Not interested?

Anyway, Rodney Jones is able to put in a vibe similar to John's early British records ....

I think Goldings plays the real deal, the picture of their gig earlier in the thread shows a B-3 on stage. I enjoy the music so much, and the tunes are all pretty long, but each disc clocking in at 55 and 56 mins and change respectively, seems to go by in like a half an hour! If this is a whole gig, that's great tho. The more I listen I forget this is a Lifetime "tribute" because these guys are doing their own thing.

If it is a real B3, then I guess he can be doing the Whammy pedal, but he does endorse Korg.

Ads in Downbeat even. snagglepuss.jpg

well, it says Hammond organ on the back cover so, its the real thing, certainly sounds like it. Back to the music, they really make a nice transition from "I Fall in Love Too Easily" to "Love in Blues" which reminds me of something from "Turn it Over", for me it flows as one long track. Scofield's playing really surprised me on this set, he digs deeper than any other time I've heard him.

I have to agree with everyone: This is a great cd; a lot of fire and outstanding music thoughtout the two cds. DeJohnette gets my vote as the outstanding player in the trio, he's seems to be on fire on every song, and is the driving force for the trio. Goldings is, as always the B-3 master. Scofield is also very good, though to my ears, he gets a little to coy in his playing at times eg. As One/Allah Be Praised/Saudades section strikes me as meandering. But, putting that aside, a smoking cd that is well worth the money spent.

listening to disc 2 now, great stuff. I saved the album to the computer so I can listen in one shot. I agree Matthew, Jack catches fire every tune.

Kind of makes sense that DeJohnette would be on for this one -- I mean, any drummer wanting to pay tribute to Williams is going be sky-high and intense. DeJ & Goldings are really hooked up to each other on this one.

let's hope they make more records as a band. If this album was on Verve or a major I could see it sucking, but I think ECM does a pretty good job documenting live material for albums. I find his use of the resonating bells on this set kind of funny. All the sudden you hear ding!!!! after hes been bashing away.

well, it says Hammond organ on the back cover so, its the real thing, certainly sounds like it. Back to the music, they really make a nice transition from "I Fall in Love Too Easily" to "Love in Blues" which reminds me of something from "Turn it Over", for me it flows as one long track. Scofield's playing really surprised me on this set, he digs deeper than any other time I've heard him.

If they were in Europe (wasn't this recorded in London?) then it's quite possible that Goldings was playing a new digital B3. Original tonewheel Hammonds are very hard to come by across the Atlantic and the ones that are there are notoriously bad (which is one reason Goldings started using and endorsing Korg). The -new digital "B3"s are very good at emulating the original B3 and much easier to maintain and move around, so it wouldn't surprise me if that is what he was playing. And several models have pitchbend wheels on them which can be set to either do standard pitch bend (like on a synth) or emulate turning the Hammond motor off briefly (thus the tonewheels slow down and the pitch goes down) or emulate flipping the START switch up, which engages the start motor and causes the pitch of the organ to rise. My new Hammond XK-3 can do this and it's pretty fun.

Groove Holmes used to play with the START and RUN switches on his B3 to change the pitch, so that's been around a long time. I haven't heard the cut you're speaking of with Goldings, so I don't know if that's what he was doing or whether it was a straight-up pitchbend wheel effect.

I did hear a cut off this tonight on Lazaro's show (Seven Steps to Heaven) and those who have reservations about Scofield's tone need to hang-up their hang-ups. He is absolutely BURNING on this stuff and his phrasing is awe-inspiring. He has taken his playing to a new level recently. And his tone is remarkably straight-ahead (for him). You're missing out bigtime if you don't listen to this stuff because of Sco's tone.

I pre-ordered this but might cancel. Until I heard the clips, I forgot how much I truely hate Sco's playing and sound. Jack D. and Larry G. are such a dream team...wish almost anyone else was the third in the trio besided Sco.

Got to agree. I'd also toss in John Abercrombie. Got a strong dislike for that long drawn-out sustain they use that almost sounds like an organ.

I'm a huge fan of the 70s Abercrombie sound, but not of the 90s Abercrombie sound.

Guy

Any particular 70s Abercrombie you like to recommend to me? Thanks.