"Ready For Freddie" JRVG

riverrat

At the risk of having the TOCJ and JRVG partisans line up on each side, what can those of you who have the new JRVG of Hubbard's "Ready For Freddie" tell me about the sound? Is the JRVG the definitive version?

The TOCJ was definitely a considerable upgrade from the Conn version of this session, which is one of my favorite Blue Notes of all time.

I haven't heard the JRVG of this, but the TOCJ is so good that, for me, it's the definitive CD version.

(I used to have a mono LP from when the album first came out, but, sadly, I don't have it anymore. It sounded great, but I remember it being a poor quality, noisy pressing, as so many U.S. LPs were back then. The Germans did a much better job, and they issued several Prestige LPs which were much better than the South Bergen, NJ LPs.)

If this is one of your favorite BNs, then you should definitely pick up the JRVG. The overall sound seems excellent (no loss at the low end) and both of the alt. takes are worth checking out for the subtle differences in style. The first time I played the disc and heard Shorter's solo on the uptempo "Marie Antoinette" alt. take I took an immediate liking to it, and half-a-dozen spins later, definitely prefer it to the regular version. Also, in the transition from Shorter's solo into Hubbard's -- the opening trumpet note or two is on the subdued side -- while in the alt. take Freddie's opening note is loud and clear (as in I'm HERE!). Also, during McKinney's solo on the excellent uptempo alt. take of "Arietis" I noticed that you can hear a bit more of Tyner working the keys in the background than on the regular version. Lot's of fun stuff like that....I'd recommend picking this one up. :tup

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

Weizen,

Are there really alternates on the JRVG, including one of 'Weaver Of Dreams' which is not even on the Connoisseur? And if so, does Shorter really solo on it (he only plays on the intro on the master take)? And is this alternate really up-tempo, or do you perhaps mean 'Marie Antoinette' instead?

Speaking of 'Marie Antoinette', did anyone ever notice how Bill Lee appropriated part of the head for the soundtrack to 'She's Gotta Have It'? I believe it's the fragment entitled 'He's On It'.

Bertrand.