what's the 411 on this live Tolliver LP on enja from 1972??

Rooster_Ties

source #1

IMPACT (23-03-1972) by charles tolliver

Songs Impact, brillant circles, prayer for peace, truth

Play by Charles Tolliver (flh), Stanley Cowell (piano), Ron Matthewson (bass), Alvin Queen (drum)

CD Album ENJA 2016

source #2

Charles Tolliver - Impact (Live)

Label: Enja Records

Catalog#: enja 2016 ST

Format: LP

Released: 1972

Genre: Jazz

Style: Hard Bop

Credits: Bass - Ron Mathewson

Drums - Alvin Queen

Fluegelhorn - Charles Tolliver

Piano - Stanley Cowell

Notes:

Rating: 4.0/5 (1 vote) Rate It

Submitted by: mranta

Tracklisting:

A1 Impact (7:58)

A2 Brilliant Circles (15:48)

B1 Truth (9:06)

B2 Prayer For Peace (15:56)

=====

I presume this has never been released on CD, right??

Anybody here have this, or heard it??

Here's the cover of the Enja date, live in 1972 (and one of the sides)...

And here's the cover of the much-better-known Strata East date (of the same name), though the Strata East date was recorded in 1975, and included a big band plus strings (and had different tunes).

impact.gif

Edited by Rooster_Ties

It seems to be available on CD from Tower Records - and a decent price, too!

I'll bet a nickel that this thing at Tower has gotta be the Strata East "Impact" from '75 (the big band date).

It's the '72 live quartet date on enja (of the same name "Impact") that has me puzzled --- not a date I'd ever heard of before.

Who releases two very different albums with the same title within like 3 years of each other?? :wacko:

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Impact on Enja is a live date recorded at the Jazzclub Domicile in Munich on March 23. 1972. I haven't listened to it in a while but I remember it being a great date. It had lead sheets to Impact and Prayer for Peace on the back cover which I found very useful at the time. As for which Impact Towers carries, I guess it can go either way. Chances are Enja would have this out on CD and at this point the Strata-East Impact is out of print though I guess there might still be copies of the Charly issue of this still floating around (the licence expired a few years ago). We hope to have both big band CDs and the quintet date with Hancock et all (with bonus tracks) in print soon (and yes, I know you've heard that before but we are really working on it).

Thanks for the info everyone!!

By the way, I've got the Strata East "Impact" from '75 (the big band date). Had it for years.

It's the enja "Impact" (the live quartet date) that I was previously unaware of until last night. (And I thought I knew of practically everything Tolliver had ever released - at least certainly all his leader dates).

Don't have time to check now, but I don't recall the Cowell tune "Brilliant Circles" ever having been recorded by or with Tolliver.

Impact on Enja is a live date recorded at the Jazzclub Domicile in Munich on March 23. 1972. I haven't listened to it in a while but I remember it being a great date. It had lead sheets to Impact and Prayer for Peace on the back cover which I found very useful at the time. As for which Impact Towers carries, I guess it can go either way. Chances are Enja would have this out on CD and at this point the Strata-East Impact is out of print though I guess there might still be copies of the Charly issue of this still floating around (the licence expired a few years ago). We hope to have both big band CDs and the quintet date with Hancock et all (with bonus tracks) in print soon (and yes, I know you've heard that before but we are really working on it).

Does "soon" mean 2006 ?

Who releases two very different albums with the same title within like 3 years of each other?? :wacko:

Paul Bley - Blood - (International Polydor) with M. Levinson and Barry Altschul, Haarlem, 11/66

Paul Bley - Blood - (Fontana Holland) with M. Levinson and Barry Altschul, Baarn, 9/66 and 10/66

Peter Gabriel - 1977

Peter Gabriel - 1978

Peter Gabriel - 1980

Does "soon" mean 2006 ?

Well, yes, ideally, we are trying but you never know for sure......I do understand your skepticism but all I can do is insure you a real effort is being made to get this stuff out, hopefully sooner than later.

David, can you share anything about the bonus material that might be released on/with Paper Man?? (meaning the quintet date with Herbie). Alternates?? Or extra tunes?? Or both?? How much extra material (time-wise) might there end up being added??

Also good to hear that the two Big Band dates might be reissued again someday (sooner than later, hopefully).

David, can you share anything about the bonus material that might be released on/with Paper Man?? (meaning the quintet date with Herbie). Alternates?? Or extra tunes?? Or both?? How much extra material (time-wise) might there end up being added??

Also good to hear that the two Big Band dates might be reissued again someday (sooner than later, hopefully).

It's both. The extra tune is Repetition (6:18) and there's an alternate take of it as well (6:22).

Chances are Enja would have this out on CD and at this point the Strata-East Impact is out of print though I guess there might still be copies of the Charly issue of this still floating around (the licence expired a few years ago). We hope to have both big band CDs and the quintet date with Hancock et all (with bonus tracks) in print soon (and yes, I know you've heard that before but we are really working on it).

I found (and purchased) a copy of the Strata-East "Impact" CD (the Charly issue) just this past summer in Greenwich Village. It was the last copy, but I'm sure there are still a few floating around. Still, I'd gladly buy a reissue (assuming it's an improvement).

And that's 300. I'm getting there, folks.

Happy to report that I just won a copy of the enja "Impact" on eBay. I was the only(!) bidder, and got it for only $10 (plus $5 shipping). Can't wait to hear it. I've got the Tolliver Select ordered and on its way too.

Saw the Downbeat article too. :tup Hope that big-band of his records, and soon!! DAMN, I really wanna hear them.

Happy to report that I just won a copy of the enja "Impact" on eBay. I was the only(!) bidder, and got it for only $10 (plus $5 shipping). Can't wait to hear it. I've got the Tolliver Select ordered and on its way too.

Good listening, man.

Is the album even in print anymore?

I sure as heck don't think so. I thought I had almost everything Tolliver ever recorded - both leader dates, and as a sideman. This enja thing hardly comes up anywhere, not even in most Tolliver discographies. Best I can tell, it's never been on CD. Long out of print, unless I'm totally mistaken.

• 4 months later...

Just got some info from Enja Records, the quartet "Impact" is scheduled to be reissued this September woohoo! :)

I'm really looking forward to Paper Man on CD (and also the two big band dates, both of which I haven't heard yet). Bring it on! :)

Edited by Kyo

• 2 months later...

Just got some info from Enja Records, the quartet "Impact" is scheduled to be reissued this September woohoo! :)

Dusty Groove has it for sale:

Dusty Groove

but the Enja site says that it is not available to buy:

Enja

Does that mean it's available or what??????

Anyway it looks like it will coming along soon. Great news!

I see from the Dusty Groove description that there's BONUS material!! (which I had a hunch there'd be).

tolliv_char_impactjap_101b.jpg

Charles Tolliver -- Impact (Enja) (plus bonus tracks) . . . CD . . . $11.99 List Price: $14.99 (Item: 435096)

Enja (Germany), 1972 Condition: New Copy View Cart

Don't confuse this one with Charles Tolliver's album on Strata East of the same name -- because this session's a completely different one for Enja, but equally great! The group here is a quartet -- not Tolliver's usual Music Inc lineup, but a combo that features Alvin Queen on drums, Ron Mathewson on bass, and regular partner Stanley Cowell on piano -- all hitting a groove that's a bit different than the Tolliver sound of Strata East, and sometimes a bit more filled with energy! The date is a live one, and there's a nice roughness here -- not to the recording quality, but more to the rhythms, which feel a bit chunkier than Tolliver's usual groove, and seem to push the flowing sound of his trumpet and Cowell's piano perhaps a bit more. Titles include "Brilliant Circles", "Impact", "Truth", and "Prayer For Peace". CD also features 2 previously unreleased numbers -- "Abscretions" and "Our Second Father". (From the Jazz CD (T-Z and Various) page.)