Who here lives in Austin?

clifford_thornton

As some of you might know, I'm a recent transplant from the cold North to the less-cold South: Austin, TX to be precise.

If any of the other Austinites want to actually hang out in real time, get some brews or some food soon, it might be interesting...

Of course, no pressure, but for those who want to, PM me at your leisure and we can co-ordinate something.

CT

Used to live there in the 80s, during grad school. I'd like to come visit......it's a totally different place than it was back then. Have you been checking out the Elephant Club? Is that still the main jazz venue?

Hey, if anyone is interested I'm playing in San Marcos on Feb. 11th. Guesting with the Texas State (formerly Southwest Texas State) big band as part of their jazz festival. It's not far from Austin!

Sorry to piggyback on your thread, Cliff. :)

Haven't been to that club - was going to meet a few Minneapolitans there tonight but got too sidetracked with studies. Ah, grad school... can never get enough of it. :eye:

San Marcos is not far at all from here; may be able to swing down, depending on schedule. Will PM you if it's a possibility.

Piggyback away...

Hymie's indeed, Clem, though I'm not originally "from there" and hence one reason I didn't stay. Heh, you haven't seen the Pentangle records oozing outta the shelves, either! Somebody was talking about a 'serious' jazz and blues store in San Antonio (?!?); haven't seen much or not been to the right places for LPs here in Austin...

I'm way East Austin (near the HEButts on Manor) right now, but that will change I'm sure, along with culinary tastes and disposition towards Flaubert (balls still intact). But long-ago reads of SOME Flaubert in fin-de-siecle art history aside, Dewey is my main man aesthetician. In a way, I could see Gustave fitting in to the trajectory a lil' bit there, so we'll see. Anyway... thanks for the thoughts, will seek out the good barbecue.

;)

Thanks, Clem. I'm gonna print that post off so it may be of some use when rooting around for the "good stuff," if it still exists... thought about the Chron but my last "Alternative Weekly" gig was a wash (City Pages, Mpls) - apparently I was "too academic," or some such. Back-handed compliment, but that one I'll take to the bank.

I get up to Austin a few times a year, and would love to meet up for a beer with folks. I don't know if I can make FFA's San Marcos show or not, but that would be alot of fun as well.

There used to be a shop behind the now defunct Tower Records (in the same building as Technophilia, which later moved onto the Strip and then disappeared altogether) that had a decent selection of vinyl. There have been a couple other cd/vinyl stores next to the U. that have come and gone as well. And I think the place next to Fiesta is called Music Mania, but I haven't gone in there in probably 10 yrs.

Nowadays I visit Cheapo Discs (9th & Lamar) & Antone's, they both carry vinyl as well. Probably not a great selection, but I don't know of anywhere that really does anymore... :(

Probably not a great selection, but I don't know of anywhere that really does anymore... :(

Very true.

I'm going to look into getting down to San Marcos for FFA's gig, but anyway, yeah, one of these days - maybe when Jazzbo has more time on his hands - we'll have to do a PM tree and all get together.

And Chalupa, this one's for you:

penn-quaker.jpg

AHHHHHH!!!

Drink a highball, at nightfall,

Be good fellows while you may

For tomorrow may bring sorrow,

So tonight, let's all be gay.

Tell the story, of the glory,

Of Pennsylvan-i-a,

Drink a highball, and be jolly

Here's a toast to dear old Penn!

Edited by Chalupa