News on www.jazzdiscography.com

EKE BBB

With this philosophy...

Leader Discographies

To make additional discographical information available even without the full treatment of including every appearance as a sideman, there are now many leader entries available. The format is exactly the same but these cover only sessions recorded as a leader. This presentation will be very familiar to some as it matches how general discographies are organized. However, general discographies lack the additional details of composer information, track timings, release dates, even many album titles. Some of these which are now leader-only may eventually be expanded into full artist discographies, but it is likely that most will not. Information regarding additional issues of the material listed or assistance in creating further leader entries, large or small, is always welcome.

... 75 new discographies have been recently added to Michael FitzgeraldĀ“s great website!!!

Click "Leaders" on the upper left corner of the main page:

http://www.jazzdiscography.com/

:tup:tup:tup

Edited by EKE BBB

Strange that the Jay Cameron entry as Leader does not list his first session: Jay Cameron and his International Sax Band, the Swing date with Bobby Jaspar, Barney Wilen, Jean-Louis Chautemps, Henri Renaud, etc...

IĀ“ve just sent Mike details on this session, from my BMG France CD.

Do you also have the original issue (that I think itĀ“s Swing M 33.341 as thatĀ“s the cover included in the inner sleeve of the CD)? Does it include the same 6 tracks? Was it released on 1955?

Questions, questions...

;)

IĀ“ve just sent Mike details on this session, from my BMG France CD.

Do you also have the original issue (that I think itĀ“s Swing M 33.341 as thatĀ“s the cover included in the inner sleeve of the CD)? Does it include the same 6 tracks? Was it released on 1955?

Questions, questions...

;)

Yes I have the original 10" issue (Swing M 33.341). It has the same six titles in the same order as the BMG CD. The album was reviewed in the French jazz magazines in mid 1955.

If you're in touch with Mike, tell him he is being missed here!

Edited by brownie

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

1) For Booker Ervin, I believe that session was Pony's.

2) For Ibn Ali, I think there was a session with Odean Pope lost in the Atlantic Warehouse Fire; I assume we have no song titles for that session - that's probably why Mike left it out.

Please do e-mail Mike with your comments - he's very good about updating on a regular basis.

Bertrand.

Holy crap - I just can't keep up with Mike!

There are so many leader sessions I may have a little bit of input on, but it will take me months to go through all this. I know he's constantly working on this stuff - as a perpetual slow poke, I envy his productivity.

As an example: for the John Patton Soul Connection session, I know the composers. Also, Patton's widow told me there is a third, unissued, DIW session.

Bertrand.

Gumbo was Pony Poindexter's session!

The Prestige LP and a British BGP CD reissue had him as the leader, as does the Prestige disco and his autobiography. Booker was a sideman on that date.

The Prestige CD reissue listed Booker up front because besides Gumbo and a handful of unreleased Poindexter tracks, it included an unreleased Booker Ervin session with Larry Young - Booker was listed first because his name supposedly sells better.

Edited by mikeweil

2) For Ibn Ali, I think there was a session with Odean Pope lost in the Atlantic Warehouse Fire; I assume we have no song titles for that session - that's probably why Mike left it out.

No, actually it's the unreleased session that's the only one listed (since it's the only thing he was ever a "leader" on, officially". The Max Roach date is the one that's not listed (since it's only his "leader" dates - for the moment, anyway). That's why I suggested adding the Roach date, and giving Hasaan a full "sessionograhy" entry.

And, oddly enough, there are song titles and everything - for the unreleased date...

Date: August 23, 1965

Label: Atlantic

Hasaan Ibn Ali (ldr), Odean Pope (ts), Hasaan Ibn Ali (p), Art Davis (b), Khalil Madi (d)

a. 9220 The Atlantic Ones (Hasaan Ibn Ali)

b. 9221 Viceroy (Hasaan Ibn Ali)

c. 9222 El Hasaan (Hasaan Ibn Ali)

d. 9223 Richard May Love Give Powell (Hasaan Ibn Ali)

This session assumed lost in Atlantic warehouse fire, although Odean Pope reports that Rahsaan Roland Kirk was attempting to have it released, so copies may exist, possibly in Europe.

Titles from BMI database.

Date: September 7, 1965

Label: Atlantic

Hasaan Ibn Ali (ldr), Odean Pope (ts), Hasaan Ibn Ali (p), Art Davis (b), Khalil Madi (d)

a. 9285 Epitome (Odean Pope)

b. 9286 True Train [aka The True Trane] (Hasaan Ibn Ali)

c. 9287 Per Aspera Ad Astra [aka Reaching For The Stars] (Hasaan Ibn Ali)

One additional selection 9284 "Metaphysics" - composer unknown.

This session assumed lost in Atlantic warehouse fire, although Odean Pope reports that Rahsaan Roland Kirk was attempting to have it released, so copies may exist, possibly in Europe.

Titles from BMI database.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Thanks for the titles, Rooster. The only tune I was able to identify on my CD-R copy of this is 'Epitome'.

Bertrand.

So you have a copy of the unissued session?

So how is it??? Strong enough to be released someday (hopefully!!) ???

Please provide a review (or at least a mini-review), if you wouldn't mind.

Many thanks in advance.

Edit: And how long does the entire session clock in at??

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 3 months later...

About 25 new "Leader Discographies" are now available at Michael Fitzgerald's website, among them those of Jackie McLean, Jimmy Heath, Mulgrew Miller or Dewey Redman.

Shame MF can't show up to announce this.

Well, Chuck, he's probably involved in many projects and I guess he has had no spare time to hang around here lately.