Pangaea and Agartha

johnagrandy

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been spending time with Pangaea and Agartha, and also Dark Magus the last few days -- after not having heard the first two (at all) in 3 or 4 years, and not Dark Magus more than a handful of times during that same period.

I'd forgotten how much of Pangaea is actually relatively tame (at least as compared with Dark Magus :crazy: ). And I'd totally forgotten that Sonny Fortune plays flute quite a bit on these (especially Pangaea) - and how well flute works as a unique voice in that context. :)

Dark Magus is still like doing tequila shots (something I haven't done in 20 years). I'd forgotten how devoid of 'tunes' (even Miles' 70's tunes) that it was, and how it really was just vamp-based.

Edit to say: I really prefer Dark Magus the best of the three.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 9 years later...
48 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Agharta was one of the albums that first got me into jazz as a teenager. I couldn't believe what a racket it was but yet how it managed to feel so precise. We've grown apart during the years but it is time for a reunion. 

The Album was visible in all the record stores in......what year it might have been…..1977? 

Well I wouldn´t say it got me into jazz, the Album that first got me into jazz was "Steamin´" and when I first heard Agharta shortly after that, I thought "wow, Incredible, this is the same Artist?". But it helped me to listen to everything, from 40´s bop into the Electric jazz of the 70´s . Most of the guys who helped me to get more and more into jazz were 3,4 5 years older than me and were much into free and Electric, but also had Deep respect for Charlie Parker etc......

I later purchased Panghea and Dark Magus. I like them all.