Afterglow

ghost of miles

Just wanted to let you know that I'm really enjoying your broadcast. I'm in this fancy hospital at the moment that's got single rooms with classy notebooks and free Internet access (and no, that's not normal in my country at all) and the broadcasts are helping me get through a lot of painful stuff. I think I've gone through your archives a hundred times. Faves so far have been the Cole, the Christy mix and the Ike Quebec one.

Thanks.

P.S.: I also listen regularly at home.

Good to see this, neveronfriday! You're obviously taking the best medicine available :)

Get on well :tup

Hi brownie,

yep, I'm doing fine so far. "Best medicine" means that they charge for every breath you take here. They've actually got a Steinway in the hall and there's a terminally ill patient here that plays some astonishing Teddy Wilson stuff every afternoon from about 15.00 to 16.00. I'm his only listener since this diagnostics clinic has very few patients that are actually staying here (no wonder, considering the costs). I'm told that in the summer months, the clinic is flooded with millionaires in for their check-ups. I'll try to be out by then. :P

Cheers!

P.S.: They let me out for a few days after the first round of tests in order for me to catch my breath ... I'm going back in today.

Edited by neveronfriday

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonight on Afterglow we're featuring music from a new Mosaic collection of Gerry Mulligan's 1957 recordings, highlighting the baritone saxophonist's collaborations with Annie Ross and a reunion date with trumpeter Chet Baker, as well as the extraordinary Gerry Mulligan Songbook (with an all-star cast of saxophonists that included Lee Konitz, Allen Eager, Zoot Sims, and Al Cohn) and a date made with a string quartet. We'll also hear music from Mel Powell and Peanuts Hucko's 1945 meeting with Django Reinhardt in newly-liberated Paris, Ray Nance's haunting version of "Take the A Train" from his 1969 album Body and Soul, Buddy Rich's take on "This Time the Dream's On Me" from Buddy Rich Sings Johnny Mercer (yes, Buddy sang, too... who knew?!) and more. Afterglow airs at 10:05 p.m. tonight on WFIU and at 10 p.m. Central Time Saturday night on WNIN-Evansville. The program will be posted to the Afterglow archives Monday afternoon.

• 1 month later...

Up for some recently archived programs (features usually take up most of Part/Hour 2):

April 14: Songs of the Season: Springtime

April 21: Reissues from Mark Murphy (HIP PARADE/PLAYING THE FIELD) and Julie London (JULIE/LOVE ON THE ROCKS)

April 28: Happy Birthday, Blossom (Dearie)

May 5: Bing Crosby: A Musical Autobiography

May 12: A Pair of Buddies (Rich Mosaic and Rich SINGS JOHNNY MERCER)

Coming up this Friday, May 19: Herb Geller, PLAYS THE ARTHUR SCHWARTZ SONGBOOK

Friday, May 26: Miles at 80

Afterglow archives

This one I'm really looking forward to (once it hits the archive). Somehow I still haven't gotten that Hep CD. It's one of those unfortunate ones that somehow slipped through several times when I was on mad shopping sprees. I have the wonderful "Alone Together" off that CD.

Edited by neveronfriday

• 3 weeks later...

For anybody who's interested, our weekly program Profiles will feature Afterglow creator and longtime host Dick Bishop; it's airing in about 20 minutes (7 p.m. EST) on WFIU and will be archived within the next week or so. Brief description from our online guide:

June 4 - Dick Bishop

Dick Bishop grew up in Fort Wayne where he played in high school bands. While working towards his doctorate in Education at IU Bloomington, he set the local collegians on fire with his percussion talents in fraternity jazz sessions. Dick has served as producer and/or host of a series of programs on WFIU, starting with Journey Into Jazz in the 1950s, followed by Jazz Sounds in the Night, Jazz Yesterdays, and Afterglow-named for a piece by his friend, Marian McPartland. Dick has interviewed hundreds of jazz musicians and counts many of them among his friends, and he retired from broadcasting in 2005. He spoke with Steve Sanders.

Some upcoming Afterglow features:

June 9--"All Through the Night: Julie London Sings Cole Porter." (Backed by the Bud Shank Quintet)

June 16--"Karrin Allyson's Footprints, Duke Ellington's Cosmic Moods."

June 23--"Jim Hall's Concierto."

June 30--"Small Day Tomorrow: Bob Dorough & the Fran Landesman Songbook."

Edited by ghost of miles

Up for some recently archived programs (features usually take up most of Part/Hour 2):

April 14: Songs of the Season: Springtime

April 21: Reissues from Mark Murphy (HIP PARADE/PLAYING THE FIELD) and Julie London (JULIE/LOVE ON THE ROCKS)

April 28: Happy Birthday, Blossom (Dearie)

May 5: Bing Crosby: A Musical Autobiography

May 12: A Pair of Buddies (Rich Mosaic and Rich SINGS JOHNNY MERCER)

Friday, May 26: Miles at 80

Afterglow archives

just heard the schwarz broadcast this morning.

it definitely made me glow.....

so beautiful........

thanks!

Featured tonight on Afterglow:

shlondon.jpg

In honor of the 105th anniversary of Hoosier songwriter Cole Porter, we'll be playing a generous amount of selections from Julie London's 1965 tribute album, on which she's backed by a stellar West Coast jazz unit--Bud Shank on alto sax and flute, Russ Freeman on piano, Joe Pass on guitar, Monty Budwig on bass, and Colin Bailey on drums. There'll also be a set of Porter's music as performed by Artie Shaw's late-1940s big band, plus Porter interpretations from Lee Wiley, Shank as a leader, Carmen McRae, Jeri Southern, Fred Astaire, and others... and non-Porter music from Lee Morgan, Dave Douglas, Joe Henderson, Kenny Burrell, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Johnny Hodges, Cassandra Wilson, and Dodo Marmarosa. Afterglow airs tonight at 10:05 p.m. EST on WFIU and at 10 p.m. Central Time Saturday night on WNIN-Evansville (where it follows Night Lights). The program will be posted Monday afternoon in the Afterglow archives.

Next week: "Karrin Allyson's Footprints, Duke Ellington's Cosmic Scene."

Featured tonight on Afterglow:

shlondon.jpg

In honor of the 105th anniversary of Hoosier songwriter Cole Porter, we'll be playing a generous amount of selections from Julie London's 1965 tribute album, on which she's backed by a stellar West Coast jazz unit--Bud Shank on alto sax and flute, Russ Freeman on piano, Joe Pass on guitar, Monty Budwig on bass, and Colin Bailey on drums. There'll also be a set of Porter's music as performed by Artie Shaw's late-1940s big band, plus Porter interpretations from Lee Wiley, Shank as a leader, Carmen McRae, Jeri Southern, Fred Astaire, and others... and non-Porter music from Lee Morgan, Dave Douglas, Joe Henderson, Kenny Burrell, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Johnny Hodges, Cassandra Wilson, and Dodo Marmarosa. Afterglow airs tonight at 10:05 p.m. EST on WFIU and at 10 p.m. Central Time Saturday night on WNIN-Evansville (where it follows Night Lights). The program will be posted Monday afternoon in the Afterglow archives.

Next week: "Karrin Allyson's Footprints, Duke Ellington's Cosmic Scene."

very good for the glow, right off aloc's top vinyl shelf.

Gotta admit "afterglow" as related to music was new to me 20+ years ago when we moved to MI. Since my first introduction it means (to me) a bunch of suburban white folks feeling cool/hip after a decent jazz concert and a chance to "rub elbows" with some black folks. Wine, cheeze, blacks - how can it get better than this?

• 4 weeks later...

Tonight on Afterglow I'll be featuring pianist (and Organissimo poster) Frank Kimbrough's most recent Palmetto release, Play, which finds him in the good musical company of bassist Masa Kamguchi and drummer Paul Motian. In between sets of Play we'll hear an entire Duke Ellington "Pastel Period" broadcast, recorded at New York City's Hurricane Club in the summer of 1943. The Pastel Period broadcasts were a sort of Ellingtonian "mood music" set that emphasized the quieter side of the orchestra. Afterglow airs this evening at 10:05 p.m. EST on WFIU and at 10 p.m. Central Time Saturday night on WNIN-Evansville. The program will be posted Monday afternoon in the Afterglow archives.

Tonight on Afterglow I'll be featuring pianist (and Organissimo poster) Frank Kimbrough's most recent Palmetto release, Play, which finds him in the good musical company of bassist Masa Kamguchi and drummer Paul Motian. In between sets of Play we'll hear an entire Duke Ellington "Pastel Period" broadcast, recorded at New York City's Hurricane Club in the summer of 1943. The Pastel Period broadcasts were a sort of Ellingtonian "mood music" set that emphasized the quieter side of the orchestra. Afterglow airs this evening at 10:05 p.m. EST on WFIU and at 10 p.m. Central Time Saturday night on WNIN-Evansville. The program will be posted Monday afternoon in the Afterglow archives.

with all the music i try to absorb, afterglow somehow is easy to forget, but is always an enjoyable experience. keep reminding us(me).

• 1 month later...

75174.jpg

This week on Afterglow it’s “Sarah Vaughan: Live in Japan.” This often-overlooked concert album from 1973 finds the singer’s voice in prime form and her spirit in a playful mood as she nears age 50, gliding through standards such as “The Nearness of You,” “I Remember You,” and “Bye Bye Blackbird.” We’ll also hear music from June Christy, Mark Murphy, Sonny Rollins, Earl Hines, Ella Fitzgerald, and more. “Sarah Vaughan: Live in Japan” airs at 10 p.m. EST Friday, September 1 on WFIU and at 10 p.m. Central Time Saturday evening on WNIN-Evansville. The program will be posted Monday afternoon in the Afterglow archives.

Next week: "Nat King Cole on Capitol 1955-59." Music from the new Bear Family collection STARDUST.

75174.jpg

This week on Afterglow it’s “Sarah Vaughan: Live in Japan.” This often-overlooked concert album from 1973 finds the singer’s voice in prime form and her spirit in a playful mood as she nears age 50, gliding through standards such as “The Nearness of You,” “I Remember You,” and “Bye Bye Blackbird.” We’ll also hear music from June Christy, Mark Murphy, Sonny Rollins, Earl Hines, Ella Fitzgerald, and more. “Sarah Vaughan: Live in Japan” airs at 10 p.m. EST Friday, September 1 on WFIU and at 10 p.m. Central Time Saturday evening on WNIN-Evansville. The program will be posted Monday afternoon in the Afterglow archives.

Next week: "Nat King Cole on Capitol 1955-59." Music from the new Bear Family collection STARDUST.

prime!

787176.jpg

This week on Afterglow we’ll feature music from a new and comprehensive collection of Nat King Cole’s late-1950s Capitol recordings, including Cole’s collaborations with arrangers such as Billy May, Nelson Riddle, and Gordon Jenkins, as well as two sides made with members of the Count Basie Orchestra. This was a prolific and rewarding period for Cole—in 1958 alone he produced seven albums. You can also hear some early 1960s Nat King Cole radio broadcasts on the March 17, 2006 program in the Afterglow archives and Cole’s music for the 1958 movie St. Louis Blues on this Night Lights program.

In the first hour of the show we’ll also hear from Artie Shaw and Red Garland with John Coltrane, and we’ll have a set of music from the Jones (Norah, Thad, Rickie Lee, and Carmell) in addition to a set of 1960s movie themes performed by Chet Baker, Louis Armstrong, and Lee Morgan. “Stardust: Nat King Cole on Capitol, 1955-59” airs Friday, September 8 at 10:05 p.m. EST on WFIU and at 10 p.m. Central Time Saturday evening on WNIN-Evansville.

Next week: "Nancy Wilson: Something Old, Something New."

64638.jpg

This week on Afterglow it’s “Nancy Wilson: Something Old, Something New.” Nancy Wilson, the host of NPR’s Jazz Profiles, has been a mainstay on the jazz vocal scene ever since her breakthrough 1961 album with saxophonist Cannonball Adderley. We’ll feature a set of music from her new CD Turned to Blue, as well as selections from new reissues of two classic 1960s Capitol LPs, Broadway My Way and Hollywood My Way. Hoagy Carmichael, Sheila Jordan, Art Pepper, Helen Merrill, and the Modern Jazz Quartet are some of the other artists we’ll hear this week on Afterglow, airing at 10:05 p.m. EST tonight on WFIU and at 10 p.m. Central Time Saturday evening on WNIN-Evansville. The show will be posted Monday afternoon in the Afterglow archives.

Next week: "Lee Wiley: West of the Moon."

64638.jpg

This week on Afterglow it’s “Nancy Wilson: Something Old, Something New.” Nancy Wilson, the host of NPR’s Jazz Profiles, has been a mainstay on the jazz vocal scene ever since her breakthrough 1961 album with saxophonist Cannonball Adderley. We’ll feature a set of music from her new CD Turned to Blue, as well as selections from new reissues of two classic 1960s Capitol LPs, Broadway My Way and Hollywood My Way. Hoagy Carmichael, Sheila Jordan, Art Pepper, Helen Merrill, and the Modern Jazz Quartet are some of the other artists we’ll hear this week on Afterglow, airing at 10:05 p.m. EST tonight on WFIU and at 10 p.m. Central Time Saturday evening on WNIN-Evansville. The show will be posted Monday afternoon in the Afterglow archives.

Next week: "Lee Wiley: West of the Moon."

i feel the same way about nancy the way i did about torme. she overstayed her welcome.

sheila and helen are always welcome!

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Gotta admit "afterglow" as related to music was new to me 20+ years ago when we moved to MI. Since my first introduction it means (to me) a bunch of suburban white folks feeling cool/hip after a decent jazz concert and a chance to "rub elbows" with some black folks. Wine, cheeze, blacks - how can it get better than this?

Oh Lord, too true. That's hilarious and mortifying simultaneously.

There was a period when the afterglows at Blue Lake became a continuation of the festival, jam sessions. That's all I've got.

just opened a bottle of afterglow(viz. sassy jap)

.........goes down good................

would that there was an afterglow cocktail lounge, darker than night, with lovely lovely dark ladies smoking small cigars providing quiet conversation........nothing brighter than a fleugel, nothing louder than a whisper, where the drunkest drunks brood quietly, and an eloquent ghostly voice wafts about the room keeping the ambience just right.

if aloc wins the mega..............

would that there was an afterglow cocktail lounge, darker than night, with lovely lovely dark ladies smoking small cigars providing quiet conversation........nothing brighter than a fleugel, nothing louder than a whisper, where the drunkest drunks brood quietly, and an eloquent ghostly voice wafts about the room keeping the ambience just right.

Very nice Aloc. If you don't win the Mega, try playing Teddy Edwards' "Blue saxophone".

MG

thanks! i will certainly check this out.

Very nice Aloc. If you don't win the Mega, try playing Teddy Edwards' "Blue saxophone".

MG

• 1 month later...

Thought some frequenters of the Big O might be interested in tonight's program:

soulmates.jpg

This week on Afterglow we’ll feature the 1963 album Soulmates, featuring Ellingtonian tenor saxophonist Ben Webster and future Weather Report keyboardist Joe Zawinul. This was the first leader date the saxophonist had done in five years (discounting a with-strings session for Reprise) and one of the last albums he’d record in the United States before leaving for Europe to become an expatriate. Zawinul had been playing with Cannonball Adderley’s band and was letting Webster live in his apartment at the time. Along with trumpeter Thad Jones, bassist Richard Davis, and drummer Philly Jo Jones, they produced a stellar mainstream jazz LP, featuring a number of Webster and Zawinul original compositions, in addition to classics such as “Like Someone In Love,” “Travlin’ Light,” and former Webster boss Duke Ellington’s “Come Sunday.” We’ll also hear music from Johnny Hartman, Nina Simone, Gladys Knight, Irene Kral, Lee Morgan, and others. “Soulmates” airs Friday, October 27 at 10:05 p.m. EST on WFIU and at 10 p.m. Central Time Saturday evening on WNIN-Evansville. It will be posted Monday afternoon in the Afterglow archives

Some other recent programs at the archives link listed above:

Oct. 20--The Songwriter Sings: Bobby Troup

Oct. 13--Gil Evans on Pacific Jazz

Sept. 22--Lee Wiley's West of the Moon

• 1 month later...