Ebay craziness

Prices for BN Hank Mobley originals going up, up and away???

Hank Mobley

Another one going even higher; $2,616

Hank Mobley

Insane, especially for a VG+ (or more likely, VG) copy.

Yeah, especially since you can get the new Music Matters 45rpm 12"s for $50 and they'll sound better and look better (nice gatefold). Good album though.

No reissue has ever, will ever, look better than the originals. Period. You can argue about the sound, true, but not the printjobs, textures, cardboard quality, colors. No. Being a gatefold makes no difference.

But yes, 2k is a bit much even for an original.

I'm walking into trouble by asking, but do you own a Music Matters or Analogue Productions reissue? They're beautiful in *every* aspect. Now, the originals are great and of course irreplaceable, but if that Mobley were being sold for the same price as the Music Matters - I would consider going with the new Music Matters. The 45 rpm business is a plus and given the fantastic quality of the photo inside the gate fold I'd have to also disagree about it not making a difference.

OK, if they were the same price and we're talking about this particular universe I'd most likely purchase the original and assume the seller's a fool. And then I'd put it on Ebay for $2000. :)

Peace

Edited by DemonDuckOfDoom

• 1 month later...

I thought this was kind of crazy - the Columbia Small Group Swing Sessions going for $296 a few days ago. Especially considering it was still in stock and selling for $134 through Collectors Choice until earlier today (seeing those prices on eBay, I couldn't pass it up any longer and picked up the last one they had).

• 2 weeks later...

I think eBay craziness also applies to sellers as well as buyers. Check out this amazing steal:

Buddy De Franco Mosaic Box Set

You would have had to pull the trigger within 15 mins of its listing. He also sold a George Lewis for the same price. Not quite as dramatic, but still :crazy: .

I noticed this too. I was confused by it because don't auctions that end with "Buy It Now" usually say so? So I was puzzled how this auction played out.

This reminds me of the daydream I have every spring about finding a garage sale where some nice old lady is selling her dearly departed husband's Mosiac Sets. She laments those big old black boxes and can't imagine that anyone would really be interested in them. She then proceeds to give me a bargain basement price where I get multiple sets and change from my $20 bill. And then I always wake up......

If you look at the top, it says "This Buy It Now listing has ended." You can also tell by clicking on the bid history.

Looks like the same person snatched up all three $50 Mosaics. Not a bad haul.

Duh....I see now. Maybe it is a format change, I seem to recall that the BIN notation was elsewhere.

All three is definitely a nice score.

Thanks for the heads up.

• 1 month later...

Well, it IS a rare album! It's already reached that price (and more) at some other auctions.

If not mint, the condition of that one looks pretty good.

I'll keep my vinyl copy courtesy of FreshSound. Plus my Japanese PJ CD!

• 1 month later...

We should have an eBay Good Deal thread. Here's one I discovered this morning. I have no idea who the seller is, but if I were a Four Freshman fan, I'd jump all over this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150450453679&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

Sounds like a completely mint package, including free priority shipping, for less than the original retail price.

I am having enormous difficulty believing anyone spent over 2 grand on that album, it's a good date for sure but it's not that good. I don't see how anyone with a brain could blow that much on one record, unless maybe they don't know about cds and that they have been produced all over the world for some time now.

We should have an eBay Good Deal thread.

Now I think this is a thread I could contribute to as I find myself spotting insane eBay deals, often oop Mosaics, fairly frequently. When they're for sets I own already I've sometimes thought about creating such a thread but I didn't want anyone to think I was spamming my own auctions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...