PRINCE

randissimo

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was volunteered to work 6AM to 6PM Sunday so I couldn't stay up late. If my rusty VCR did its job, I can watch it during the Superbowl. I gotta go see Prince the next time he comes to ATL. The last time here he played Symphony Hall, a place where the funk is usually thrown down by the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra. Shoulda gone. When I flew up to Minneapolis to see Ornette, I made sure that I was looking out of the window during the descent/ascent to see if I saw any giant purple houses or swimming pools shaped like a 'gluck' or whatever that symbol was. Didn't see any though... :(

Prince was good, but I thought it was great that Fred Armisen and Maya Rudolf would do "The Prince Show" bit on that show.

In '04, when Prince was releasing the "Musicology" album, he kicked off the tour at the LA Staples Center, and had a live video feed to theaters across the country. For $15 a head, my friends and I got a copy of the CD at the door, and a 'live' show. That live band was KILLIN', even with Candy Dulfer playing some alto. Nobody ever said Prince didn't know about markenting...

I actually just watched the whole first song through the link provided above. I guess my question would be this...

Question: What do you get when you cross Greta Garbo's Wardrobe with Tina Turner's backup singers with Steve Vai's guitar licks with bad 80's syth sounds and a generous heaping of posturing?

Answer: Prince on SNL.

:cool: Sorry I know that sounds like being a hater, but I couldn't help it. Hey, I think Prince can handle it, I'm at my computer and he's in bed with his backup singers.

I actually just watched the whole first song through the link provided above. I guess my question would be this...

Question: What do you get when you cross Greta Garbo's Wardrobe with Tina Turner's backup singers with Steve Vai's guitar licks with bad 80's syth sounds and a generous heaping of posturing?

:cool: Sorry I know that sounds like being a hater, but I couldn't help it. Hey, I think Prince can handle it, I'm at my computer and he's in bed with his backup singers.

:lol:

i only saw the second song last night, so thanks for the first.

did he get defunked since last i saw him? some tame Vernon Reid it looks like. hard to watch him and not the dervishes but as for SNL fair as of late Steve Martin and Prince seem like the second coming.

hehe :P

I've liked some of his stuff over the years, but the majority comes off as over produced, over hyped, pop crap.

These days it all seems too dramatic for me.

I'd like to hear the R&B number as well. Is it up somewhere?

I'm not as enamored of Rock Prince as many. He does it superbly, but the thing I dig most about Prince in general is the creative/quirky tricks in the songrwriting/arranging/production/etc, and to my ears, he does much less of that on the rock stuff.

But DAMN does he sure find some gorgeous women!

did he get defunked since last i saw him? some tame Vernon Reid it looks like. hard to watch him and not the dervishes but as for SNL fair as of late Steve Martin and Prince seem like the second coming.

You know, I was kind of thinking the same thing. I had forgotten just how much the guy had copped Jimi--same mannerisms, similar vocal styles... and then there's that whole splashy, ultra-lush 80's bag. An artist, a great all-'round musician--but man, that cat's vibrato just pisses me off.