Is there that one "mystery" hard bop record

Guest ariceffron

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's Branford. I backtracked on the site, and found this...

ewtorntop.gif

In a special issue devoted to Hot Spots, The Bop Shop was featured as the Favorite Jazz Record Store in an article by Branford Marsalis.

Excerpts from Entertainment Weekly Issue #72 / 73

Friday, June 28 / Friday, July 5, 1991

--reporting by Ron Givens

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I found out about the Bop Shop when I was going to a concert at the Eastman School of Music in Rochester. Whenever I go into a new town, the first thing I say is 'Record Shop?' In Rochester, a guy answered, 'The Bop Shop.' The thing that makes this record store so cool is that the people who work here like music. I can spend an hour or an hour and a half in the store, not just buying records, but talking with the proprietor, Tom Kohn....

"It's a hands-on store, a dying breed. Kohn stocks the records he likes as well as the records that sell a lot of copies....He'll order things for you -- other stores say they'll get it for you in three or four weeks, but he'll get it for you in three or four days.

"I just spent $200 here on records--all vinyl. I went in and said I wanted blues. They said , 'We got 'em.' I bought three Howlin' Wolfs, two Sonny Boy Williamson's, one Son House. I also got some novelty records and (at the sister store Recorded Classics), some classical and some operas.

"Good record-store owners do what they do because they love the music. They're like good musicians--a small minority who deal with the music business because they love it."

Or even Chipmunks B-Sides?

Hey man, you jest, but a friend recently sent me this passage from Steve Otfinosky's THE GOLDEN AGE OF NOVELTY SONGS!

"The squeaky little voices [The Chipmunks] that earned a fortune for

Ross Bagdasarian, along with some interesting variations, were employed

successfully by a number of other novelty artists in the late '50s and

early '60s.

"The Nutty Squirrels, despite their name, were a more sophisticated

version of the Chipmunks.  It was as if Alvin, Simon, and Theodore grew

up and became beatniks.  Their "Uh! Oh! Parts 1 [#45] and 2 [#14]" was

simply a speeded-up scat-singing to a jazz combo that featured

Cannonball Adderly on horn.  The Squirrels were the brainchild of jazz

musician-composer Don Elliott, who led the combo, and jingle writer

Alexandra "Sascha" Burland, who provided the overdubbed vocals.  Their

double-sided hit was released in late 1959 by Hanover-Signature

Records, co-owned by comic and musician Steve Allen."

The Cannonball Adderley/Don Elliott/Chipmunks connection... who woulda thunk it?

I don't know that he necessarily fits into the "hard bop" category, but I think we've kind of thrown that out the window by now. Nancarrow? Varese? Zappa? Hard Bop? Maybe they're trying to ween you off jazz ariceffron! :P

I know you are a tenor player, so Von Freeman is probably not a mystery to you. If he is, we may be onto something. I would also suggest going back to whatever Ornette Coleman discs you own.

Tapscott is a wonderful suggestion. Along with Tristano and Marsh, respectively, Tapscott is someone I've been meaning to check into for a long time.

.:.

Or even Chipmunks B-Sides?

Hey man, you jest...

No, I don't!

The original flip-side to "The Chipmunk Song" was an instrumental thing called "Almost Good" that is as close as a Monk/Silver hybrid over Krupa-esque "jungle" toms and hand clapping can come to being jazz without actually BEING jazz!

Never on CD, to my knowledge, and perhaps never even on LP. Gotta find an old Liberty 45 to hear it.

Now THAT'S a mystery record!

Edited by JSngry

• 15 years later...

Don´t see much "hard bop" here. Maybe I´m not as much into other music, but if you say "mysterious hardbop" one of the only recordings I can think about is that strange partially pianoless Transition record that sometimes is listed as being led by Paul Chambers (three tracks) which also has Trane, Pepper Adams and Curtis Fuller and a more obscure tenor player too, who seems to double on one or two tracks on piano.

This was first on the 2-Lp set BN LA-Series "Paul Chambers - John Coltrane". Later I found it on a japanese cardboard CD as bonus tracks on that 1956 Westcoast Date with Trane, Kenny Drews, Chambers and Philly J.J.

That´s a quite hard to find record and I think it´s definitly hard bop.......