AOTW Feb 5 - 11

cannonball-addict

jackdejohnette131454.jpg

I had no idea Jack DeJohnette could play piano so well until about 2 weeks ago when I discovered this record on Landmark. Eddie Gomez on bass and Freddie Waits on drums!!! Don't really have much time to type right now but I'll be back soon to type more! Meanwhile, discuss amongst yourselves.

Matt

P.S. Go Steelers!

Yes. In the wonderful liners written by Peter Keepnews (his pop Orrin was the producer of this session), Jack elucidates this early part of his past. He was a pianist and only took up drums after he was well along his way to being a jazz pianist. His command of the instrument is nothing to be shy about. In fact, knowing this, I would much rather hear him playing in all those Standards trio records and have Keith grunting away on the drums, as drummers are wont to do.

Matt

Yes. In the wonderful liners written by Peter Keepnews (his pop Orrin was the producer of this session), Jack elucidates this early part of his past. He was a pianist and only took up drums after he was well along his way to being a jazz pianist. His command of the instrument is nothing to be shy about. In fact, knowing this, I would much rather hear him playing in all those Standards trio records and have Keith grunting away on the drums, as drummers are wont to do.

Matt

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

How about Keith on soprano & Jack on piano? Bring Chick in on drums, and keep Gary Peacock, just to be safe.

At IAJE it was Chick on piano, Eddie Gomez (who is on this record) on bass, and Jack on drums. That group needs to records fo sho.

What if it were the Standards Quintet?

Keith Jarrett - soprano and unintelligible vocals

Jack DeJohnette - piano

Eddie Gomez & Gary Peacock - basses

Chick Corea & Steve Gadd - drums

they could play musical chairs!

How about Keith on soprano & Jack on piano? Bring Chick in on drums, and keep Gary Peacock, just to be safe.

At IAJE it was Chick on piano, Eddie Gomez (who is on this record) on bass, and Jack on drums. That group needs to records fo sho.

What if it were the Standards Quintet?

Jack DeJohnette - piano

It would be like the Sam Rivers Trio of current times, everyone playing horns or piano at different times.

A nice and unexpected choice. I doubt it's been off the shelf for years so chalk up another winning aotw.

I've had this one on vinyl since it first came out and I've always enjoyed it. I'm not a great lover of synths or overdubs but this one sounds fine, Dejohnette's synth is tasteful and adds to the enjoyment of the album. There's a nice variety of tunes and moods and Jack plays some tasty piano. A bit of an oddball disc maybe but it works out well.

A big plus is Freddie Waits, a fine and very underrated drummer.

Jack DeJohnette - piano

When Jarrett was planning his first recording for ECM, Manfred Eicher proposed a quartet album w/Chick Corea, Dave Holland & Gary Peacock.

Guy

Jack DeJohnette - piano

When Jarrett was planning his first recording for ECM, Manfred Eicher proposed a quartet album w/Chick Corea, Dave Holland & Gary Peacock.

Guy

The obvious answer to me is to put Keith and Chick on squawky eletric keyboards, Jack on drums, replace Gary Peacock with Dave Holland (can't go wrong with either of them), and bring in someone like Gary Bartz, Dave Liebman, Steve Grossman, or Carlos Garnett to underachieve on Soprano. That would have a good chance of conjuring the spirit of Miles!

Keith would probably barf at that notion, lol. playing 'lectric keys again.

Speaking of which, I wonder if Keith has heard his playing on The Cellar Door Sessions 1970 - the best Miles box set I have ever purchased in my short history of buying box sets!

I am sure there is another thread with this. It makes me wonder since Jack was in this group if there were any nights he sat down at the keyboard. I doubt Miles was into musical chairs though.

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

Judging from his commentary in the Cellar Door box he approves of his playing of electric instruments in that band. In fact, a very favorable approving.

Was it Jarrett or Chick Corea who once said he'd never again touch an electric keyboard?

Back to Jack deJohnette: Has anybody here ever heard the two Columbia or Epic discs of his fusion band Compost, where he played keyboards and Bob Moses handled the drums? A friend af mine had one of the LPs back then, but I never got around to tape it. And doesn't he play keys one one of his newer self-produced items?

Judging from his commentary in the Cellar Door box he approves of his playing of electric instruments in that band. In fact, a very favorable approving.

Was it Jarrett or Chick Corea who once said he'd never again touch an electric keyboard?

Back to Jack deJohnette: Has anybody here ever heard the two Columbia or Epic discs of his fusion band Compost, where he played keyboards and Bob Moses handled the drums? A friend af mine had one of the LPs back then, but I never got around to tape it. And doesn't he play keys one one of his newer self-produced items?

I have both the Compost albums. They are of their time but rather pleasant. You'll also find some keys on Special Edition too.

I doubt Miles was into musical chairs though.

Wayne was, however.

e61026oexhx.jpg

Chcik Corea plays marimba, drums and percussion; Ron Carter plays mostly cello; & Dave Holland also plays acoustic guitar.

Chick and Jack are also co-drummers on Super Nova.

The group for Jack to have switched out on would have been Charles Lloyd's, when Keith jumped up and in on soprano.

I am sure there is another thread with this. It makes me wonder since Jack was in this group if there were any nights he sat down at the keyboard. I doubt Miles was into musical chairs though.

Well, there's a recording from the fall of 1969 where Chick joins Jack on drums for "Spanish Key", and another where he plays some sort of flute.

Guy