9 CD Set: That Devilin Tune

I wish you had told me that you were re-ticking. I have a large collection of the most wonderful clicks and pops ever, each one lovingly extracted from source material used by Larry Hiller and me for Columbia reissues. Some of this extraneous noise was removed from Grammy-winning reissues--it would have been perfect for your project.

BTW, have you spent your entire adult life putting this set together? There can't have been much time left over for anything else!

Look for my e-mail.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr Lowe. Didn't you get the memo? Attention spans are short in America at this time. 9 friggin' cds and it is only volume one! A single disc covering 1492-1950 would have been plenty. AND you expect us to friggin' read something? I just hope the commercials are good.

Heck, even Richard Thompson could cover the years 1000 AD to 2000 AD in one CD!

Tried ordering the book from Cadence yesterday, and just got an "out of print" message today in return.

A quick Google search yielded a couple of copies from antique booksellers for $75!!!

Anyone (Allen?) have any alternate outlets to try?

About a year ago I looked for the book too and the cheapest option was ordering it direct from Cadence (orders@cadencebuilding.com).

F

just waking up, and will have to wait until this afternoon to check on a West Coast source for the book - yes, this project was a lifetime one. Actually, I spent 3 years writing the book, 2 years finding and mastering the sources - as I said, some are pretty rough but I'm happy it's all in one place - and hey, Chuck, this project is for the MTV generation -

Chris, wouldn't there be some licensing issues with Sony/BMG regarding the use of those clicks and pops?

We had our attorney check the original contracts and were relieved to learn that clicks and pops were not taken into consideration back then. There are, in fact, no proprietary clicks and pops! Amazing.

Well, we kept that information quiet, as it were, but we probably should have publicized it. Had he known that fact, Phil Schaap might not have felt compelled to restore the surface noise others had removed from the Goodman Carnegie Hall acetates.

OK...I just listened to disc one.

There's some delightful stuff here. So far I've only had a chance for once through, but here's some impressions and things that stuck out in my mind. I've only read the first few pages in the booklet (it's pretty much excerpted from the book) so this is pure impressions.

The Banjoist Vess Ossman - NICE !

La Patti Negra: I didn't have the track listing while I listened to this. I thought it was "Under The Bamboo Tree".

The triple tounging Trumpeter - I guess Sir Herbert Clarke caught my attention. GEEZ..I didn't think chops existed that far back. ;)

The Grupo Bahainano...YEAH ! Are they Brazilian ? I was looking for something in the notes, but I haven't really read them throught yet.

Yeah....(pre) jazz ! I'm digging it.

thank you - funny thing about this is that it was so intense for a 5 year period, writing, researching, listening - and almost as soon as I finished I backed away from listening to jazz for some time - and I remember reading a post that Dan Morgenstern made on the Jazz research list, in which he mentioned an early jazz orchestra, and than said something like "no jazz historians ever mention this band except Allen Lowe." And I looked at it and, for the life of me, I could not remember the band - I had to pull out my book and check the index - and there it was -

Edited by AllenLowe

Definitely some obscure material in this first volume! I am familiar with most of the music in the following volumes, but some intriguing pieces that are new to me in this volume.

I'm enjoying the first quarter of the book as well, and I think this is a great presentation: text and music all under one roof.

Keep 'em coming!

• 3 weeks later...

Allen, I'm thoroughly enjoying this set (I'm on disc eight)! I have a question: The set gives the impression that after the ODJB recorded in 1917, the floodgates opened and jazz recordings were everywhere. Is this the case? I'm simply amazed at how fast things seemed to happen for the time period. Did the success of the ODJB recordings suddenly make jazz commerically viable? Or was it rather a case where a bunch of jazz musicians were all close to recording at the same time, but the ODJB just happened to be the first? The contrast between the pre-1917 recordings and those that came after is startling. I guess that I had this idea that pop culture moved at a slower pace in the pre-television age...

Also, what was the audience for recorded music in 1895? Were the recordings during that period made primarily for commerical release or for archival use? I notice that on most of the pre-1900 recordings there was a practice of announcing the title and artist. Did this practice fall out of use because of the advent of 78 RPM records (and their attendant lables), or was there another reason? Who was listening to these recordings before, say, 1910?

good questions, in areas I'm not a real expert on - however, yes, the ODJB did seem to open a floodgate, as they were wildly popular and showed a new market - as to those early recordings, they were indeed for commercial purposes to feed new playback technology(ies) - there are a number of good books on the development of such, though I'd have to get back to you with some titles -

• 2 weeks later...