9 CD Set: That Devilin Tune

I notice that on most of the pre-1900 recordings there was a practice of announcing the title and artist. Did this practice fall out of use because of the advent of 78 RPM records (and their attendant lables), or was there another reason?

I guess it's not an answer, but interestingly, the famous 1903 Columbia Records Grand Opera series has spoken introductions ("Madame" so and so, "Colooombia records"!). I don't recall many other examples of this practice that late into flat disc releases. As far as I remember, this series sold quite well.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The triple tounging Trumpeter - I guess Sir Herbert Clarke caught my attention. GEEZ..I didn't think chops existed that far back. ;)

Really enjoying the first bumper box of this collection.

The 'Sir Herbert Clarke' track on CD1 caught my attention too. Sounded to me just like one of those Yorkshire/Northern English brass bands (e.g. Black Dyke Mills) with cornet soloist who are still to this day playing in this essentially Victorian style - 100+ years later !

Any info out there on 'Sir Herbert Clarke' - who he was and where his band came from? Enquiring minds wish to know. :rhappy:

glad to see this is still under discussion - funny thing is, a few months ago someone on another list mentioned a track on the compilation and for the life of me I had no recollection of including it - sent me back to the box to find it; I still didn't remember putting it in - I think I wiped my memory after I finished this thing -

glad to see this is still under discussion - funny thing is, a few months ago someone on another list mentioned a track on the compilation and for the life of me I had no recollection of including it - sent me back to the box to find it; I still didn't remember putting it in - I think I wiped my memory after I finished this thing -

This is hardly surprising - there's more than 800 songs!

Or are you going a little, ahem, batty as you age? :cool:

• 3 years later...