Chiropractors

chiropractors  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've had a back problem that goes back to the early 90's. The Chiropractor that I saw off and on over the years has done a very fine job of keeping me going. But, now that I'm a Massage Therapist I realize that there is someone even better prepared to take care of most misplaced bones. Afterall the bone follows the muscle, not the other way around. -_-

It depends on where you are or maybe more importantly where the chiropractor is from.

Where I used to live (Baton Rouge) they would make claims about curing diabetes, cancer, etc. (quacks) but here (NW Arkansas) they seem to be a little more realistic and focus on the spine.

Just like anyone in the medical profession, you get good ones, and bad ones. My Dad went to them since the 50's, swore by them. The one he had gone to forever was a minor miracle worker, I went in one day limping, came out a new man(I was a boy actually)So, I thought they were all like him, wrong! Went to a couple of quacks in Jacksonville, for a bad back and neck. Just took my money mainly. A 3rd one did help with my neck, but my back never saw any improvement.

I've been many times over the past few years with great results. I guess it depends on the person you go to. The lady that I go to works on Olympic athletes and is very good. I think with all the times I have fallen, bumped into doors :huh:, ran from police and paticipate in riots/demonstrations that I just get a little out of kilter and need an adjustment....never had any complaints but was a little freaked the first time.

m!

A friend at work recently began seeing a chiropractor my boss recommended. He's been telling everyone he is amazed at the rapid improvement his back has made. He says he hasn't been as comfortable in years.

Another friend recommends acupuncture. She says it miraculously fixed a recurring neck problem.

I had back pain briefly after being 10-15lbs over my normal weight. Regularly doing abdominal crunches and push ups made it go away.

What works for one, doesn't necessarily work for another. I've gone to my present chiropractor for at least the past 15 years and absolutely swear by him. He's gotten me out of some bad circumstances. Something I've always been grateful for. For me, I can't imagine what life would be like without his occasional help. I go every six weeks whether I need it or not and it's all covered under my health plan. Let me also add, Paul mentioned back exercises. A good plan. Something I do on a pretty regular basis. If I slack off, that's when I encounter problems.

Edited by Tom 1960

• 2 years later...

Don't knock it til you've tried it. That stuff works. So does acupuncture. It cured a pinched nerve that was killing me after one visit to a guy that my friend swore by that multiple visits to my regular MD and painkillers for weeks couldn't do. I & many others have found Eastern medicine to be safer and more effective than much of Western medicine, but that's just me. The main issue is, can you find a good practitioner?

Edited by trane_fanatic

It depends on where you are or maybe more importantly where the chiropractor is from.

Where I used to live (Baton Rouge) they would make claims about curing diabetes, cancer, etc. (quacks) but here (NW Arkansas) they seem to be a little more realistic and focus on the spine.

There was a guy in south Florida that ran an infomercial in which he railed about "pills, potions and surgery" and insisted that chiropractic was the way to solve all medical problems. IMHO, that makes the entire "discipline" quackery. (I was tempted to take him up on his "free consultation" just to ask him straight up, should my lymphoma-ridden brother have found a chiropractor or gone to the oncology department of Johns Hopkins?)

There was a guy in south Florida that ran an infomercial in which he railed about "pills, potions and surgery" and insisted that chiropractic was the way to solve all medical problems. IMHO, that makes the entire "discipline" quackery. (I was tempted to take him up on his "free consultation" just to ask him straight up, should my lymphoma-ridden brother have found a chiropractor or gone to the oncology department of Johns Hopkins?)

Well, obviously, he was a loonie. Shouldn't be a reflection on the whole field though. My chiropractor makes no such claims. It's just for specific types of injuries.

Edited by trane_fanatic

The thing is though Ben that as ScottB's post shows, those types of quacks aren't exactly rare in the field. I have to believe that on a proportional basis, the ratio of quacks to skilled practitioners among Chiropractors is just huge compared to medical doctors.

As it is, I don't reject eastern medical practices, I think that there are a lot of things we still don't know about how our bodies work. But I have a real knee-jerk reaction about chiropractors. :)

Don't blame ya. I used to be a skeptic, but recent experiences have made me a firm believer. A guy like you just described would scare me away too.

The thing is though Ben that as ScottB's post shows, those types of quacks aren't exactly rare in the field. I have to believe that on a proportional basis, the ratio of quacks to skilled practitioners among Chiropractors is just huge compared to medical doctors.

As it is, I don't reject eastern medical practices, I think that there are a lot of things we still don't know about how our bodies work. But I have a real knee-jerk reaction about chiropractors. :)

I've had good experiences, but haven't gone in many years. A key factor is finding a chiropractor who is a straight shooter (will treat you in a small number of appointments rather than hyping endless treatments) and who does good massage (or has a good masseuse on staff).

Granted, I figure treatment by a capable masseuse/masseur would be just as effective.