New Mosaic Singles Series!

Ron S

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else get the Bud Freeman?

Yes, pretty darned good stuff, isn't it.

PEE WEE!

I have it on vinyl for many years. YES ! It is pretty darned good.

I'm curious about the 4 extra tracks, although there is no doubt in my mind I'll dig them.

You will be diggin' them!

I've had these on vinyl, but they're much better sounding here (vinyl not the best).

• 2 months later...

The Art Farmer "The Time and the Place" is a fine record, but unfortunately, it's not really live. The band did record at the Museum of Modern Art, but the sound was not up to snuff, so they went back into the studio and cut the album, then fake applause was added. Amazingly, the unissued material that turned up on the 2-fer reissue also has the fake applause. Mosaic makes no mention of this, so evidently the myth will be perpetuated. I wonder if undoctored tapes actually still exist?

Been awhile since I checked the Mosaic site and just noticed the Farmer. That's good news for I really wasn't prepared to pick up the existing 2-fer, paired as it is with the unappetizing (imo) Baroque Sketches.

• 4 weeks later...

Mosaic has finally updated its pre-order page to include a couple of Selects and three singles. I listened to the sound bytes and was surprised to find myself most attracted to the Andrew Hill select. Much of his music has often proved a bit remote to me, but the little of this solo work I heard really sounded lovely. I'm looking forward to getting that set and hearing it!

I'll probably get the Buddy Rich too. I've always liked that band.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the Rich... and despite all the furor on this board... I think it's pretty good... not great... but I'd give it a "B"

Mosaic has finally updated its pre-order page to include a couple of Selects and three singles. I listened to the sound bytes and was surprised to find myself most attracted to the Andrew Hill select. Much of his music has often proved a bit remote to me, but the little of this solo work I heard really sounded lovely. I'm looking forward to getting that set and hearing it!

I'll probably get the Buddy Rich too. I've always liked that band.

Look's like the Buddy Rich is a straight reissue of the UK 2LP RCA set. Sound was always a bit '2-dimensional' but the band is roaring and there's some memorarable repartee between Buddy and Ronnie Scott (whenever these two started joking together on stage it was always a good laugh :g ). The atmosphere is captured very well indeed - recommended.

Nice version of 'Milestones' and some fine arrangements from the likes of Don Piestrup ( :tup ) and Bill Holman.

No SACD layer just sucks. A label like Mosaic should be doing something to differentiate themselves and SACD is the way to do it. I see no reason to re-buy these sessions. Why would I re-buy Blakey's "Hard Bop"? For stereo? The mono sounds fine, thanks. JJ Johnson's "JJ!" on the Spanish RCA CD sounds very good to me. I just can't justify spending $15 each for these. Now, if these discs had an SACD layer, I'd be pre-ordering them NOW.

Kevin

Kevin, the upgrade for the J.J. is definitely worth it, because Mark Wilder remixed it from the original 3-track tapes. Compared to the spanish RCA version, some artificial reverb on the brass section is absent, and the sound is fuller and less harsh. A much bigger difference than between a CD and a SACD :)

I just hope that the lineup on the Charles Lloyd disc isn't one of those sessions that looks good on paper but fails to execute. Because that lineup looks absolutely KILLER!!!

I am a bit dissappointed by this session. I expected it to be more fiery, more Coltrane-like as "Discovery", my favourite Charles Lloyd session.

The remastering was done by Sony's Mark Wilder at Sony Studios.

I didn't know that, didn't check the discographical info. Yuck, I don't like his mastering...

I think the mastering on the three CDs I just received (by surface mail) - Lloyd, J.J., Duke - is perfect. Mark Wilder remixed the sessions from the original 3 or 4-track master tapes. "Cosmic scene" is the best sounding Duke Ellington CD I have ever heard.

Edited by Claude

No SACD layer just sucks. A label like Mosaic should be doing something to differentiate themselves and SACD is the way to do it. I see no reason to re-buy these sessions. Why would I re-buy Blakey's "Hard Bop"? For stereo? The mono sounds fine, thanks. JJ Johnson's "JJ!" on the Spanish RCA CD sounds very good to me. I just can't justify spending $15 each for these. Now, if these discs had an SACD layer, I'd be pre-ordering them NOW.

Kevin

Kevin, the upgrade for the J.J. is definitely worth it, because Mark Wilder remixed it from the original 3-track tapes. Compared to the spanish RCA version, some artificial reverb on the brass section is absent, and the sound is fuller and less harsh. A much bigger difference than between a CD and a SACD :)

Musically JJ! is the best of the RCAs , though The Total J.J. Johnson is not far behind .

I have the Spanish RCA CD of JJ! and like Kevin , think it sounds fine . What might get me interested in the Mosiac Single edition , are the two previously unissued Tom McIntosh charts it contains . Are these on the same level as the Johnson and McFarland numbers ?

• 4 weeks later...

I think the mastering on the three CDs I just received (by surface mail) - Lloyd, J.J., Duke - is perfect. Mark Wilder remixed the sessions from the original 3 or 4-track master tapes. "Cosmic scene" is the best sounding Duke Ellington CD I have ever heard.

I was afraid I would read that here ..... :rolleyes:

I am a bit dissappointed by this session. I expected it to be more fiery, more Coltrane-like as "Discovery", my favourite Charles Lloyd session.

I am going to have to spin it a more few times, but at first listen I was also disappointed because I was expecting something similar to "Discovery." I haven't heard "Discovery" in quite sometime, but I recall it being pretty damn good. I wonder why they didn't start with it first.

I was afraid I would read that here ..... :rolleyes:

Guess I'll have to add it to my order when the Ellington box comes out. Seems to be the sensible thing to do, yesiree.

I just received my copy of the Buddy Rich at Ronnie Scott's CD. To me, the sound is excellent, probably because I have had to play the LP version since the age of 13. I didn't take very good care of my beginning jazz collection back then, so I'm thrilled to have this out on CD. The original liner notes are included, as well as new informative and well written liner notes by John LaBarbera. His notes include some great behind-the-scenes stories specific to the live recording. For any fans of the Buddy Rich Big Band, I think this is a must; some great arranging/composing by J. LaBarbera, Herbie Phillips, others.

Marla