New Mosaic Singles Series!

Ron S

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been noticing that the primary source of reissues has been Blue Note. And many of the RVG'S have already been bought a few years before. Many of you probably had most or all of the Dexter Blue Notes before the RVG'S hit. In the mid to late 90's we had good reissues from several sources, Joel Dorn's Muse stuff, Verve, Impulse, Fantasy & even RCA to some degree. Now almost all of that is gone. I think Mosaic will get a lot of momentum out of filling the gap. Even though $15 is a little pricey to get something you may only consider collection filler (possibly the Al Cohn), nevertheless they are mostly interesting reissues and I hope they can put out maybe four every 2 months. As long as the single CDs doesn't prevent other reissues from coming out from the same artist, it is a win win and a relief that such interesting CDs that will be high quality will come out and be easy to get.

okay I caved... Just preordered the Al Cohn, Ellington, Blakey and Charles Lloyd...

:g:wacko::unsure::huh::excited:

Okay, I give. How does one pre-order these titles? I certainly don't have any live links on the Mosaic website that would permit. Perhaps this is a conceptual/spiritual preorder.

I assume people are getting their discographical information from other sources (e.g., AllMusic, LPs owned...), since what Mosaic provides is sketchy.

the old fashioned.. telephone to Headquarters!!! :D:D

okay I caved... Just preordered the Al Cohn, Ellington, Blakey and Charles Lloyd...

:g:wacko::unsure::huh::excited:

Okay, I give. How does one pre-order these titles? I certainly don't have any live links on the Mosaic website that would permit. Perhaps this is a conceptual/spiritual preorder.

I assume people are getting their discographical information from other sources (e.g., AllMusic, LPs owned...), since what Mosaic provides is sketchy.

• 1 month later...

I really would like to place an order, but $12 airmail shipping for 1 CD is a bit rich for my blood... :unsure::(

I always choose surface mail, which is usually as fast as airmail.

That's sort of what I expected when I shipped off a package to a guy in Ireland on February 3. Last I heard, it still hadn't arrived. :blush: I'll NEVER go the surface route again. :tdown

I really would like to place an order, but $12 airmail shipping for 1 CD is a bit rich for my blood... :unsure::(

I always choose surface mail, which is usually as fast as airmail.

$7 surface for 1 CD is also ridiculous in my opinion, I'm usually charged that amount for airmail...

Hmm - you're right! I was just checking out the Blakey. One CD comes in at $27 including shipping. I guess I'll wait to add it to my next order, but the spate of EuroMosaics (which seems set to continue) means I tend to place my Mosaic orders over here now...

Maybe we will get euro-versions of these releases?

I agree that the international shipping costs are too high, but if you buy a couple of their CDs at a time and choose surface mail, it's not more expensive than other US CD stores.

As I wrote above, when I chose surface mail for Mosaic orders in the past, it arrived almost as quickly as with airmail.

My next Mosaic order will be the J.J and Charles Lloyd Singles and the Tolliver Select. Maybe also the Ellington Single.

Edited by Claude

I agree that the international shipping costs are too high, but if you buy a couple of their CDs at a time and choose surface mail, it's not more expensive than other US CD stores.

Well, maybe. I think Mosaic could be a bit more customer oriented. Their habit of charging premium price for everything (including shipping) when Euro-versions of their sets sell for less than half over here now looks a bit threadbare. Their shipping rates are keyed to LP sets - CD sets cost much less to send. And their offers are pretty tightfisted - I got a catalogue in March advertising a sale that ended in February. I think they could tweak some of this stuff and maybe do a bit more business. But what do I know?

One reason that you might have received an outdated sale catalog in England is because of the slowness of overseas mail delivery. I would hardly expect any seller of CDs to set aside foreign addresses and spend additional postage to get them out faster.

As far as their pricing, it is undoubtedly based upon the lmited edition nature of their reissues. They probably pay a certain flat fee for the rights to each CD, yet there is a time limit as to how long they can offer them. Setting a price too low sets a bad precedent and makes it hard to raise them (yeah, I know the Mosaic Selects just went up a few dollars), but they have to cover the eventual disappointing title from time to time.

As far as their pricing, it is undoubtedly based upon the lmited edition nature of their reissues. They probably pay a certain flat fee for the rights to each CD, yet there is a time limit as to how long they can offer them. Setting a price too low sets a bad precedent and makes it hard to raise them (yeah, I know the Mosaic Selects just went up a few dollars), but they have to cover the eventual disappointing title from time to time.

I was complaining about their overseas shipping rates, not their pricing.

One reason that you might have received an outdated sale catalog in England is because of the slowness of overseas mail delivery. I would hardly expect any seller of CDs to set aside foreign addresses and spend additional postage to get them out faster.

Well yeah - but isn't it a bit pointless for them to spend money advertising an expired offer in expensive remote and exotic foreign-land? Looks to me as if the desire to limit the offer led them to make the offer period too short, at least for the overseas market which I imagine is significant for them.

Compare the price of many classical box sets, and of the Euro-Mosaics or even the long-box Miles, and the Mosaic position looks less competitive. I'm not disputing the quality, just wondering out loud about the comparatively static business model in times when consumer expectations change quickly.

I'm not disputing the quality, just wondering out loud about the comparatively static business model in times when consumer expectations change quickly.

I can see where they are heading:

Mosaic full box sets --> Mosaic Selects --> Mosaic Singles --> Mosaic iTunes ;)