New Mosaic Singles Series!

Ron S

Well, I closed my eyes and ordered all of these this morning. I really like the idea behind the "Mosaic Single CD" idea, gives Mosaic a lot of flexibility in what they can release. Now, if they would start to release some of Braxton's Arista records, now that would be great. :excited:

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those who like the J.J. album really should check out this album:

The Total J. J. Johnson

c2110.jpg

The lineup differs somewhat between the tracks, but the personnel for the first session will give you the idea:

Art Farmer, Snooky Young, Danny Stiles (tp); J.J. Johnson, Benny Powell, Paul Faulise (tbn); Jerome Richardson (as, cl, fl); Phil Bodner (ts, fl, cl, ob); Tom Newsom (bari, fl, bcl); Hank Jones (p); Ron Carter (b); Gady Tate (dr)

It was recorded for RCA two years after J.J., and while it's much in the same style as the earlier album, I think it is even more satisfying. J.J.'s arrangements sound more confident at this time - in my opinion these recordings represent Johnson's finest achievement as an arranger - and the execution leaves nothing to be desired.

It is available from FreshSoundRecords.com, in what I believe is a perfectly legit release, for € 9.80 (USD 11.65).

anyone get the Art Blakey "Hard Bop" and can compare it to the japanese issue on sound quality?

I contacted Mosaic yesterday...they said Hard Bop hadn't made it to them yet, but should in a couple of days.

thanks for the update! let me know if you get it.

I ordered the Lloyd and JJ (along with the Tolliver select) last weekend and they arrived today. That was quick! I listened to the Lloyd at work. I got it because I really like Tony Williams way of drumming in this period but found a great deal more to enjoy in there. Listening to JJ now. Very nice, glad I got it. I think I will pick up some of the other singles over the next few months.

I ordered the Lloyd and JJ (along with the Tolliver select) last weekend and they arrived today. That was quick! I listened to the Lloyd at work. I got it because I really like Tony Williams way of drumming in this period but found a great deal more to enjoy in there. Listening to JJ now. Very nice, glad I got it. I think I will pick up some of the other singles over the next few months.

A friend of mine coincentally gave me a copy of the Lloyd from vinyl....without knowing anything about it, I thought the drummer was Billy Higgins (one of my favorites). Usually not a huge Tony Williams fan (I know I'm an idiot) but love what he plays on the Lloyd date.

What upcoming Les McCann MG??? Didn't know about that one please fill me in.

I can't trace it now, but I've seen something on a BB about it, or maybe had an e-mail from Mosaic that I didn't keep (unlikely). Apparently, it's only going to include records Les made as a sole leader, so the ones he made with Groove Holmes, Jazz Crusaders, Teddy Edwards & Clifford Scott won't be included.

MG

Edit - It's not in the Mosaic upcoming projects list yet.

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg

I can't trace it now, but I've seen something on a BB about it, or maybe had an e-mail from Mosaic that I didn't keep (unlikely). Apparently, it's only going to include records Les made as a sole leader, so the ones he made with Groove Holmes, Jazz Crusaders, Teddy Edwards & Clifford Scott won't be included.

MG

:party: Man, I would love to get all those Pacific Jazz trio sessions on one collection.

MG

:party: Man, I would love to get all those Pacific Jazz trio sessions on one collection.

Me too. Anxiously awaited, is the phrase, I think.

MG

Apparently, it's only going to include records Les made as a sole leader, so the ones he made with Groove Holmes, Jazz Crusaders, Teddy Edwards & Clifford Scott won't be included.

I'm all for that!!

OK, but they're great albums. Apparently the one with the JCs is coming out later this year. That is a killer!

MG

Put the Bud Freeman "Chicago/Austin High School Jazz in Hi Fi" on the car stereo yesterday.

At the first session trumpeter Jimmy McPartland sounded strange to me on the heads. He's improvising on the themes, or at least embellishing them, and it sounded as if Pee Wee Russell had to sort of wait to hear how the theme was going to go before ad libbing his clarinet part. This is just the most slight hesitation, you know, the music is balling. The blowing sections are exciting, Freeman swings, the Condon-type rhythm section with Milt Hinton does a good job. But I was wondering how they would sound with a "straighter" melody lead.

The second session, with Billy Butterfield, answers that: more cliche. Everyone easily slips into role playing, and the music is more arranged sounding, and it had me pushing the back button to hear those first four sides again. Butterfields chops are greater than McPartland's, but I would hazard McPartland played more jazz. None the less Pee Wee is a delight on the first 8 titles.

The third session with Teagarden, what can you say? He and Freeman are highlights of those sides, and it's no wonder "I Cover The Waterfront" is the bonus track as Jack did that routine fairly often on record. He sings an ad-lib blues for Bud Freeman, and swings "There'll Be Some Changes Made." At that point we pulled in to the zoo and disembarked for monkeys and cougars and shit. Looking forward to hearing the rest of the date.

Overall, on first listening, a great addition to the Bud Freeman collection here at home.

MG

First of all, I say this as a fan of McCann. I have most if not all of his PJ records.

Considering that MC is on record as saying that he can't see a full-blown Three Sounds Mosaic set, why would he possibly be planning, or even considering, a Less McCann set? It would suffer from the exact same drawback: There's no variation in the albums, and too damn many of them (necessitating such a large number of discs that it becomes a very expensive set). In fact, the more logical approach would be to make a Select that brings together the sets that had guests on board.

I would be very surprised if this comes to fruition, and if it does, I may just have to drive to Stamford myelf to point out to Michael that he no longer has an excuse for not doing a full blown Three Sounds Mosaic set.

MG

First of all, I say this as a fan of McCann. I have most if not all of his PJ records.

Considering that MC is on record as saying that he can't see a full-blown Three Sounds Mosaic set, why would he possibly be planning, or even considering, a Less McCann set? It would suffer from the exact same drawback: There's no variation in the albums, and too damn many of them (necessitating such a large number of discs that it becomes a very expensive set). In fact, the more logical approach would be to make a Select that brings together the sets that had guests on board.

I would be very surprised if this comes to fruition, and if it does, I may just have to drive to Stamford myelf to point out to Michael that he no longer has an excuse for not doing a full blown Three Sounds Mosaic set.

You're right, of course, about the Three Sounds. I wish I could remember where I heard this. I was disappointed that the Edwards, Scott & JCs albums weren't going to be included, so I doubt if I made it up.

MG

MG

I'll be right behind you, holding your coat. Time for another email. It's been a long while.