New Mosaic Singles Series!

Ron S

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just received my set of Singles. Listening to Hard Bop. Really enjoying Stella By Starlight.

They said they shipped mine Friday. Usually Mosaic shipping is really fast. Guess not these days, still ain't got it. What method do they ship now?

It could just be your discs are up against a motherlode of Mother's Day gifts.

Edited by Quincy

Just received my set of Singles. Listening to Hard Bop. Really enjoying Stella By Starlight.

They said they shipped mine Friday. Usually Mosaic shipping is really fast. Guess not these days, still ain't got it. What method do they ship now?

I would think it would be there by Thursday or Friday. I got the notice on Friday but I don't think they shipped until Monday. Since I'm only one state way, 1 day is the norm. Yours probably also went out Monday.

I would think it would be there by Thursday or Friday. I got the notice on Friday but I don't think they shipped until Monday. Since I'm only one state way, 1 day is the norm. Yours probably also went out Monday.

Too bad since they emailed me that it was shipping Friday. Used to be Friday meant Friday and not Monday at Mosaic.

• 2 weeks later...

4 new Singles titles, scheduled for October 2006 release, now on "Future Projects" page:

October 2006

MOSAIC SINGLES

Slide Hampton: Drum Suite (MCD-1007) $15

After two high-profile years (1957-59) with Maynard Ferguson as trombonist and key arranger/composer. Slide Hampton struck off on his own as the leader of his own ingeniously conceived octet. While the octet never got off the ground commercially, it was a major creative force in New York for three years, recording for Atlantic among other labels. In April 1962, Slide was given the opportunity to record one album for Columbia’s Epic label. The result was Drum Suite, on which Slide brought in guest artists Freddie Hubbard, Yusef Lateef, Tommy Flanagan and Max Roach. Lost in the shuffle of major label business, this album offered some of Slide’s best writing, much of which was specifically written for Lateef and Roach. We have resurrected this crown jewel in Hampton’s woefully neglected octet discography and remixed it adding two additional tunes. Slide’s arranging reverberates through the discogrophies of Ferguson, Dizzy Gillespie, Dexter Gordon and so many more, but it was when he was writing for himself that he reached his peak.

Lee Wiley: West of the Moon (MCD-1008) $15

Influenced by Mildred Bailey and Ethel Waters, Lee Wiley’s sensual, whiskey-soaked voice found its greatest champions in musicians like Joe Bushkin, Jess Stacy and members of the illustrious Condon Mob. Despite her acumen for picking great songs and her way with a lyric, Wiley found little success beyond the jazz world and her opportunities to record were shamefully scant. “West Of The Moon,” recorded in 1956, was the first of two albums she made for RCA Victor. And here she is fittingly pared with arranger Ralph Burns whose richly-voiced orchestrations are ideal for her style and delivery. Burns uses an octet, a scaled-down 12-piece big band and an ensemble with two woodwinds and a string quartet on this projects. Coupled with ideal song selection, the results are superb and include classic renditions of “Who Can I Turn To Now,” “Moonstruck,” “East Of The Sun” and “Can’t Get Out Of This Mood.” Added to the original album are two selections (“Stars Fell On Alabama” and “Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans?”) made earlier the same year for a Dave Garroway project, arranged by Deane Kincaide for an all-star octet.

Buddy Rich – Rich in London (MCD-1009) $15

The best recordings by Buddy Rich’s big band were always those made on stage before a live crowd and this 1971 edition with Lynn Biviano, Jimmy Mosher, Pat LaBarbera and Bob Dogan is no exception. For this album, the band was recorded over three nights before an appreciative audience at Ronnie Scott’s Club in London in December 1971. When this highly acclaimed album was first released, it contained eight excellent charts, most by arranged by John LaBarbera. For this CD reissue, four additional tracks, including arrangements of “Moment’s Notice” by Don Piestrup, “In A Mellow Tone” by Oliver Nelson and “Milestones” by Mike Gibbs, have been added. Bill Holman’s “Time Being” – a 12-minute blow out – is fitting finale to this incredible album by one of the most exciting bands that every existed.

Art Farmer – The Time and The Place (MCD-1010) $15

Art Farmer has been associated with a lot of stellar quintets since the inception of hard bop. Many equal, but none top, the band he led in 1967 with tenor saxophonist Jimmy Heath, pianist Cedar Walton, bassist Walter Booker and drummer Mickey Roker. Jimmy Heath was a frequent collaborator with Farmer in the ‘60s and he was more than a partner in the front line; he was an invaluable composer and arranger for many of the trumpeter’s projects. And in an era of great rhythm sections, the combination of Walton, Booker and Roker was one of the best. On February 8, 1967, this quintet gave a concert at New York’s Museum Of Modern Art with Columbia Records rolling tape. The resultant album The Time And The Place featured seven selections from the concert including two Heath originals and J.J. Johnson’s “Short Cake.” The three tunes that complete the concert (Duke Pearson’s “Is That So,” Albert Dailey’s “Dailey Bread” and Kenny Dorham’s “Blue Bossa”) did not see the light of day until fifteen years later. Now the complete concert is available on this CD.

Sorry, keeping my money this time around. I mean, does the world really need another vocalist + Ralph Burns cd at this point -- nothing against Wiley, love her on the Condon Mob. These titles do not strike me in any way, in any manner.

Arrrgghhh!! I just got the Wiley from Mr. Tanno several months ago. Ah well--I have a friend who would love it, so maybe I'll pass it along & pick up the Mosaic for the extra two tracks. It's really quite a good album, Matthew, if you like Wiley at all. And I'm glad that it will be more readily available to others.

Although I'm not a huge Buddy Rich fan, based on the Mosaic Singles that have come out, which were outstanding, I will pick these up. I've never heard Lee Wiley so I'll be waiting to see what she sounds like.

Don't get the Collectibles comment.

These might be nice cds to have, but they're kind of light wieght, it begs the question: If this is the second group, what next? Sorry if I sound down on these, but I am disappointed in the selections. Of course, I'm not speaking for Chuck, don't want him getting cranky at me. :lol:

These might be nice cds to have, but they're kind of light wieght, it begs the question: If this is the second group, what next? Sorry if I sound down on these, but I am disappointed in the selections. Of course, I'm not speaking for Chuck, don't want him getting cranky at me. :lol:

Well, I'm not sure if these are "lightweight" or not, all that is a matter of opinion, and really, if their criteria as I understand it includes that this be material rarely if at all on cd, they're limited and they are going to be offering items that will really please some and confuse or not move others at the same time.

Hampton's work during this period is excellent; I think there are a number here who would enjoy this one.

I guess I am a bit disappointed in this set of singles as well. The first batch was so good, I was hoping for similar items. In particular, I was hoping for more Al Cohn dates. But the announcement of the Ellington box makes up for the disappointment.

Edited by Bol

Well, I'm not sure if these are "lightweight" or not, all that is a matter of opinion, and really, if their criteria as I understand it includes that this be material rarely if at all on cd, they're limited and they are going to be offering items that will really please some and confuse or not move others at the same time.

Hampton's work during this period is excellent; I think there are a number here who would enjoy this one.

I don't see how Slide Hampton, Buddy Rich or Art Farmer could be considered lightweight.

The Buddy Rich should be great. With the inclusion of 'Momemts Notice' etc. it looks like a re-run of the fine RCA 2LP set 'Very Alive At Ronnie Scotts'. One of my favourite Buddy Rich recordings, great atmosphere, great arrangements and the band swings like mad. Recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

A live Art Farmer date sounds good to me....

:cool::cool:

The Art Farmer "The Time and the Place" is a fine record, but unfortunately, it's not really live. The band did record at the Museum of Modern Art, but the sound was not up to snuff, so they went back into the studio and cut the album, then fake applause was added. Amazingly, the unissued material that turned up on the 2-fer reissue also has the fake applause. Mosaic makes no mention of this, so evidently the myth will be perpetuated. I wonder if undoctored tapes actually still exist?

The Slide Hampton "Drum Suite" is another rare item that's nice to see available again.

thanks Jack... Always helping to clear things up...!! I might have to get that Slide Hampton now.... :blink:

A live Art Farmer date sounds good to me....

:cool::cool:

The Art Farmer "The Time and the Place" is a fine record, but unfortunately, it's not really live. The band did record at the Museum of Modern Art, but the sound was not up to snuff, so they went back into the studio and cut the album, then fake applause was added. Amazingly, the unissued material that turned up on the 2-fer reissue also has the fake applause. Mosaic makes no mention of this, so evidently the myth will be perpetuated. I wonder if undoctored tapes actually still exist?

The Slide Hampton "Drum Suite" is another rare item that's nice to see available again.