Friends,

It is my pleasure to announce that the brand new issue of Wax Poetics features photos and an interview with, beloved board member, brownie!

We did the interviewed last June, actually, and he was also kind enough to send a selection photos for me to digitze for inclusion in the issue. Normally, I'd shy away from this kind of self-promotion but, in all honesty, all I did was scan some images and ask some questions...this is his work I'm writing about now.

For the record, issues of Wax Poetics do not remain in print for very long. The first few issues even fetch good money on eBay now. (Crazy.) That said, I recommend picking one up sooner than later. (And yes, Dusty Groove has it.)

Big thanks to brownie for his kindness, cooperation, and fascinating stories!

happy reading,

Brandon

Edited by Brandon Burke

Brandon Burke tricked me into doing this!

When he contacted me last year, I thought the magazine where it was going to be published was a poetry review and I agreed. Later I found that Wax Poetics was not exactly that. But I had a look at the content of past issues and I noticed quite a number of published articles that were right down my alley. Wax Poetics looks like being a mighty interesting magazine!

I have yet to see a copy of it. The just published #15 is on its way here and I look forward to read it.

Brandon did a fine job. Thanks to him!

Got my copies in the mail today, actually. Layout looks great! ...though it seems to me they may have attributed one too many shots to Silva's Luna Surface session. (If this is the case I need to know because no one should make assumptions like that without consulting the contributors first.)

Surprising that, with so many Dusty Groove addicts here, more of you haven't hopped on the WP train yet...they seem to share the same audience. Very good publication, in my opinion...

Edited by Brandon Burke

Yikes! Bad start: my opening question was rephrased without hearing about it first. For one, you have to imagine i would never preface the term New Thing with "so-called". (Bummer...)

other than that everything's pretty much 100% straight up. luckily that mistake was at my expense and not anyone else's...

Edited by Brandon Burke

Yikes! Bad start: my opening question was rephrased without hearing about it first. For one, you have to imagine i would never preface the term New Thing with "so-called". (Bummer...)

Almost everybody I write for does the same sort of stuff. It's pretty common practice to be "edited" and that the "editor" hopes the "writer" won't notice small changes. Or, for that matter, half an article cut and doussun'gnoui referred to as "Turkish."

However, I can see why they added that qualifier to "New Thing." That's an odd phrase and hard to use in any context other than profoundly historical.

Guest akanalog

and for all you mizell haters....look who's gracing the cover.

as an in-general magazine hater and avoider, i have to say wax poetics is one i always try to check out.

i always ask my friend at turntablelab to save me a copy.

every issue has articles that make me say "hmmm! that's something i was curious about" or "cool, i wanted to learn more about this dude" etc.

congratulations on this article and i will check it out as soon as i get this issue.

• 3 weeks later...

My friend's new record store opened yesterday (Landlocked Music, for southern/central Indiana posters--a very hip joint, let me tell ya--be sure to check it out) and my special order of Wax Poetics #15 was ready & waiting. Brownie, what amazing photos! My friend and his partner were looking at them as they rang me up, and I was proud to say, "Yeah, the photographer and the article writer both post on my favorite jazz board!" (Hope you guys don't mind if I basked for a moment in your reflected glory.) Thanks so much for the heads up, Brandon. I'll probably be checking this magazine out from now on--aimed very much, it seems, at those into 1960s/70s jazz, soul, funk, and modern-day turntable culture. There are also articles on David Axelrod (Pt. 2 of a very extensive interview) and Bobbi Humphrey... one thing I like is how in-depth the pieces are (as opposed to mainstream jazz media).

I had no idea that Guy Kopelowicz was Brownie! And Brandon Burke...yeah...thought that sounded familiar! :D

Whoever on this board who doesn't have this interview with Guy needs to get it. It's a who's who of 60's jazz. From Guy talking about Hank Mobley in europe to attending Ayler's "Spirit's Rejoice" session. Great photos by guy of the New Thing in action. GREAT!!!!!

Waxpoetics is the only music magazine worth reading imho. Real in-depth stuff. The two part articles on Jimmy McGriff and David Axlerod were the two best music interview/articles I've ever read. Not to mention the Mizell features and Bobbi Humphrey.

Great job ya'll!

Wow!

My friend brought a copy of this over yesterday, and it's great! Guy, those are some absolutely fantastic photographs! Please feel free to share as many of those photos (and stories) as you'd like here anytime!

And, much thanks to Brandon for this. Brandon, I noticed you were cited as being an archivist at Stanford. Are you still there, or have you since moved? I'm somehow thinking you are in D.C. these days?

Thanks again for this Brandon and Guy!

Cheers,

Shane

thanks for the good word, guys.

the interview itself seems like ages ago by now... enough so that, by the time i finally had a copy in my hands, i felt like i was reading someone else's work! anyway, seeing everything come to life after such a long wait is well worth the effort. great shots and amazing stories indeed. thanks again to brownie for his cooperation and kind spirit..!

cheers,

Brandon

[shane, i accepted the Stanford job in autumn of '04. you're right though... i was in DC before that.]

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Upping this old thread.

Guy was kind enough to send me a copy of the magazine, that I received yesterday.

The interview is really interesting, first-hand memories of those jazz greats...

And as for the photos... no surprise here for the outstanding quality! Guy showed me a few dozens of the photographs he took in the sixties when I was at his place. Believe me, he has tons of marvellous pictures. I wish he could publish a book with all this stuff someday!

Glad you liked this, EKE BBB!

Not sure a book of jazz photos can really be envisioned at this stage. There is some talk about it but the scope would be a bit limited since I took jazz photos for a relative short period. Know the scene was pretty active and quite amazing then. Glad I was a witness to it.

I stopped taking photos because of work comitments and also because I am really a jazz fan at heart. Concentrating on taking photos made listening to the music very difficult.

Gave up taking photos to listen to the proceedings!

I got that magazine a day before you, EKE! :g

I enjoy the photos mightily - I'd certainly love to see more of these! Why not just publish some book about the American expat jazz scene in France in the late 60s? BYG would be at the heart of that, and your photos would be a terrific documentation! Also you could widen it a bit by including those who were merely visiting (Taylor... terrific photo of his included in the magazine!), and it could also include the photos of Marion Brown and others even if shot in New York... there'd be enough ties and connections there, no?

(Taylor... terrific photo of his included in the magazine!)

Actually, the photos I took of Cecil Taylor (in New York, France and Holland) are the ones I am really happy with! Enough material for a book. If anybody is planning on publishing a book on CT, I may pitch in!

On the photo side, I have Been pretty busy lately helping coordinate an exhibition at the Visa pour l'Image show next month in Perpignan of images taken by Henri Huet, one of the great photographers of the Vietnam War.

Henri Huet

The exhibition looks very good!

I have just ordered an overpriced back issue of this mag just to see Brownie's work!!! I'm sure it will be worth every dollar!

m~

Definitely!

I went to their website to find out that no one in Switzerland carries this magazine - looks nice enough to buy now and then if it was around...