Greatest Blakey Trumpet Album

johnagrandy

5) B. Shew (I'm gonna catch hell for this)

Bobby Shew is a very interesting guy. I used to keep close track of him when I was way into Toshiko's big band and caught every live performance I could. There were a number of pieces she composed that showcased him. Unfortunately I've forgotten the albums and the tunes' names and I lost all my boxes of vinyl in a move.

Not only was Shew a quite lyrical improviser who well knew the art of gradually building a story, but he also often played lead (and Toshiko wrote some of the toughest lead parts ever). I'd guess Shew is perhaps one of twenty or so of the greatest leads of the 20th century.

Last year, I happened upon a large collection of web videos of that huge bash they threw for Maynard in L.A. Although I lost interest in Maynard's music over 15 years ago, it was nostalgic to listen to all the tributes: all the old bravura, showmanship, towering egos, and ferocious playing was present in spades ... actually in a royal spade flush !

Many of the greatest living high note artists composed the horn sections of the various bands assembled... including, much to my surprise, ... Bobby Shew.

Shew is a gas in a small informal quartet setting too! He's played gigs like this around L.A. for years and I check him out at least a couple of times a year--most recently out at Charlie O's with John Heard, Roy McCurdy and Jon Mayer on piano. Three smokin' sets. Dude can flay out PLAY!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

For those partial to Lee: A label called "Gambit" has just reissued the entire 12/21/1958 Blakey Club St Germaine live concert in a 2 CD pack (originally 3 LPs) :

http://ssl.adhost.com/jazzloft/baskets/pos.cfm?CD=8986

$17 ... worth it? Anyone heard these sessions?

One of the great highlights of the Blakey discography. Go for it.

Edited by Muskrat Ramble

Is this the one with the great (live) MOANIN' solo by Lee Morgan? I have a friend who was a music major at Howard University in the 60's. Said all trumpeters had to learn that solo.

That's the one!

lee_morgan.jpg

Thanks! I'm ordering this ASAP.

P.S. I think Hazel is Hazel Scott.

Bill Hardman does not seem to get much in the way of positive comments. A few days ago I listened to the Blakey/Jazz Messengers CD titled RITUAL . It was originally issued on Pacific Jazz and reissued on Blue Note.

Bill Hardman sounds absolutely terrific on this CD. He plays in a Clifford Brown style. While he does not have the technical facility of Clifford and some other Messenger trumpet players, his solos are put together with great logic. Each one tells a story. Hardman is, in my view one of the most underrated trumpet players from the Hard Bop period. I recall seeing him live one night at a club in New York City playing in a quintet with Junior Cook, Walter Bishop,Jr., Paul Brown, and Leroy Williams. It was a marvelous musical experience. Every time Bill Hardman took a solo he knocked me out. This player is deserving of much greater recognition for the many fine recordings on which he played.

Bill Hardman does not seem to get much in the way of positive comments. A few days ago I listened to the Blakey/Jazz Messengers CD titled RITUAL . It was originally issued on Pacific Jazz and reissued on Blue Note.

Bill Hardman sounds absolutely terrific on this CD. He plays in a Clifford Brown style. While he does not have the technical facility of Clifford and some other Messenger trumpet players, his solos are put together with great logic. Each one tells a story. Hardman is, in my view one of the most underrated trumpet players from the Hard Bop period. I recall seeing him live one night at a club in New York City playing in a quintet with Junior Cook, Walter Bishop,Jr., Paul Brown, and Leroy Williams. It was a marvelous musical experience. Every time Bill Hardman took a solo he knocked me out. This player is deserving of much greater recognition for the many fine recordings on which he played.

If you want to hear some Hardman on a Blakey album, check out Hard Drive (the one in my avatar). That's an absolutely smoking hard bop album that's unjustly obscure.

OPJam.jpg

Oscar Peterson with some young Rochester musicians at a jam session held at The University of Rochester, Rochester, NY, 1957. Left to right: Noal Cohen, drums; Chuck Mangione, trumpet; Ron Carter, bass; Waymon Reed, trumpet; Benny Salzano, tenor saxophone; Oscar Peterson, piano.

The two CDs that I would recommend to hear Chuck Mangione as a bebopper would be:

Chuck And Gap Mangione: The Jazz Brothers - Hey Baby - Riverside OJC

Chuck And Gap Mangione: The Jazz brothers - Spring Fever - Riverside OJC

These are both quintet sessions from 1961 featuring some fine tenor playing by Sal Nistico.